LS7 heads on the LS2

This is a discussion on LS7 heads on the LS2 within the GTO forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I stumbled on a thread, i think by Sarge, wherein they spent about 1500 bucks on LS7 heads and a ...

Black
    05 GTO

LS7 heads on the LS2

I stumbled on a thread, i think by Sarge, wherein they spent about 1500 bucks on LS7 heads and a cam and put down quite amazing numbers on a stock LS2.

has this been verified? Do these heads fit? Searching hasn't gotten me anywhere except the original thread.

LOVING the goat BTW. Had it about two months now and its pretty much perfect for me.

Black
    05 GTO

Ha these are the L92s aren't they? So they do fit...question over.

hugger orange

if I am correct they are rectangular intake ports on the L92 heads, they do fit, but you need an intake to match them

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Switchblade View Post
    Ha these are the L92s aren't they? So they do fit...question over.
    yes you are correct,I have l92s on my 408 they flow great and are cheap for the numbers i get from them.
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

2006 GTO

L92's are great heads.. highly suggest them for some cheap easy hp..

hugger orange

could you still see good gains with a ported/ polished set of these on an LS1?
    I know they aren't made for the small bore (i take it its because of the size of the intake valve) but could you swap to a smaller valve, or have the stock intake valves turned down for clearance?

has anyone tried this?

Black
    05 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    could you still see good gains with a ported/ polished set of these on an LS1?
    I know they aren't made for the small bore (i take it its because of the size of the intake valve) but could you swap to a smaller valve, or have the stock intake valves turned down for clearance?

has anyone tried this?
    I've been doing some research on these things and i don't think anyone has put them on the LS1 yet.

Here's what i've basically discovered for the LS2

Long tubes and a decently sized cam and tune seems to put the LS2 at 500

Long tubes and a decently sized cam and a tune and the L92s are about 580

Well...the heads are a great deal at under 1000 for the pair BUT just a cam and headers boosts the motor to 500 by itself. I'm not so sure rushing to get those heads is a necessity.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

I've been doing some research on these things and i don't think anyone has put them on the LS1 yet.

Well...the heads are a great deal at under 1000 for the pair BUT just a cam and headers boosts the motor to 500 by itself. I'm not so sure rushing to get those heads is a necessity.
    yes actually they are in a sense

ls2 heads are 243 castings..so ls6 with different springs basically and a few other small things...so from the get go you have good heads..as a ls1 is not so lucky...however just throwing a decent sized cam is not always the answer...i would personally if i have a 6 liter ..go for better heads first..either porting 243s or getting and porting the l92s ..then getting a cam..with preference of doing them at the same time.

2006 GTO

I got 460 rwhp with just the basic heads and a nice cam.. if I would have port and polished and milled them I probably would have gotten about 480rwph..

To help answer the original question,,,the L92 heads and the LS7 heads are not exactly the same head as it seems to be referred to here.

If I remember correctly,,,the LS7 heads are a 12 degree head,,,and are the only production heads that come with that valve angle. They flow substantially more air than the L92's which have a less desirable 15 degree valve angle.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    To help answer the original question,,,the L92 heads and the LS7 heads are not exactly the same head as it seems to be referred to here.

If I remember correctly,,,the LS7 heads are a 12 degree head,,,and are the only production heads that come with that valve angle. They flow substantially more air than the L92's which have a less desirable 15 degree valve angle.
    so their setup more like the Trick Flow heads from the factory?

so their setup more like the Trick Flow heads from the factory?
    Yes,,,LS7's even better. Last time I checked the Trick Flows come in 13.5 degree.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Yes,,,LS7's even better. Last time I checked the Trick Flows come in 13.5 degree.
    so youve been around cars for a long time.....what are you personal thoughts on turning the intake valves down so the LS7 heads can be used on a 3.90 bore?

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Ls7 heads require a 4.100 bore I believe, your better off using the L92/Ls3 heads on smaller bores...

so youve been around cars for a long time.....what are you personal thoughts on turning the intake valves down so the LS7 heads can be used on a 3.90 bore?
    I personally would rather shoot for a good flowing cathedral port head on a small motor like the LS1/LS2.
    I don't like to see the larger square port heads on anything smaller than 400 cubes unless you like rpm and alot of gear.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

you would spend alot of money trying to change those valves,plus im sure they would not have the same flow rates if you installed smaller valves,get some AFR heads I have a set still on my ls2 sitting on the stand they are like new, less then 1200 miles $2000 complete.

Thread Information