BLACK
    CAMARO 1975 BBC454/TKO600

LS2 and TVS2300 MAGNACHARGER

Anyone running a maggie on their cars? I am planning on using the LS2/T56 from a GTO to put into a miata NA. But once I get it running I want to up the HP/TQ on it. How well do these motors respond to these mods? How does the stock transmission and clutch re-act? I am hoping to have something that is
    street able and doesn't effect mileage too much. I know they still make the Gen 5 kits as well so any experience with those would be helpful too. Thanks!

James

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

LS2 and TVS2300 MAGNACHARGER

I can't speak about the LS2 or Maggie, but I ended up putting down 500rwhp with 8psi on a stock LS1 motor other than full exhaust with a Procharger.

With the LS2 you already have a pretty high compression ratio for FI; 10.9:1. So, depending on how much boost that particular maggie gives, you may want to consider pistons which would lower the compression some.

I'd say that the T56 is a pretty stout transmission, but with that added torque, I would consider upgrading the clutch at a minimum. I have a Spec Stage 3+ which is handling the new found power just fine. However, there is a little bit of disengagement issues at WOT going into 3rd gear. I plan on replacing the stock MC with a Tick unit to push more fluid through.

Any suspension mods going on the Miata to help it hook?

As far as gas mileage...once you get FI...forget about it...your foot is always going to be wanting to mash it

BLACK

I will be shooting for at least 500+ rwhp out of whatever I go for. I still like having as much torque as I can muster out of any engine ( must be my big block days ) so thats why I am not running a procharger (but they are AWESOME!). Yeah, I know the comp. is a little high... I might port the heads a little and put thicker head gaskets to help drop it a little but it won't be a huge difference... it's all in the tune from what I gathered so far. I might just get the smaller MP112 ( i think a 1900 instead of the 2300 ) just so I am not tempted to up the boost. No more than 7-8 psi though... if I go more than that, I will forge and Procharger... I hope I don't get that addicted again!

For the clutch, it would be really easy to change with the motor out... what do u recommend? This will be my street rocket, not much auto cross or drag but will be able to do both. I need something that will hold the power but not have to think about for the next 50K miles. I can drive so don't need to worry about burnin' clutches.

Suspension wise, who knows at this point. I WILL be doing some wheel flairs so I can run bigger tires AND not look too wimpy either. The goal is not to be a sleeper but to go all out for a street car. I have seen the ways to put a 295 sized tire in the back so I will be happy to put a 275 tire back there. If I can do that, i'll make it hook... because I can get my 454 to do that now and that is all chassis tuning and driving. =)

Mileage , yeah I know... but I got 19 mpg with a 454 BBC, 2.73 rear and a TKO-600 @ 75-80 mph. I can do MUCH better both city and High way driving with the LSX... but, when it comes to the smile factor.... you do only live once! Hit it!!!! =)

James

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I have just a 275 50R17 Nitto 555r DR out back with a 4.11 gear and my car hooks really hard on the street. I don't even get a chirp in 2nd gear I do have some suspension mods though which can be seen in my signature.

Clutch wise, what are you looking to spend? Textralia and McCleod are high on the rankings. Spec seems to be hit or miss. I've had no issues with mine for the last 10K miles. Monster and RAM are also choices. I'd personally get one which has full disk engagement as opposed to "fingers". I'd also get a steel flywheel and not AL.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

BLACK

Man, I don't want to spend more than $1000 for a clutch set up but I know I have seen some that are $1300 +. Almost makes me want to drop an auto in instead, lol. Might go with McCleod if I do.

I plan on trying to run a 275 DR on it but I will not know until after I do the fender mods and actually measure... I will do this before the V8 swap so If I can get enough tire under there I will give it a good rearend ratio ( 3.73's maybe) if not, I will go with a 3.08 or 3.25. I am looking forward to rotating back and working on cars again. =)

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Sounds good. Post up some pictures of your build once you get into it. And for the record, there have been plenty of times I wish I was an auto

BLACK

.... I was just researching to see what the stock A4 can take. If I do an 4L60E, I will have to get one from Gearstar or someone like that. I always did hate losing a racing due to missing a gear.... it happens to us all though! (And if u say no, your not having enough fun with your car OR your a lying!)

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

If you have the option now, I'd choose something other than the 4L60E.

Thread Information