Black
    2004 GTO

ls2 block? lq4?? lq9??

I purchased an 6.0l bottom end not to long ago for my 04 gto. I've had it for a while and now wondering what kind of block is it..lq4?? Lq9??ls2 bottoem..
    Everything else came of my oringinal enigine like the heads ,all accessories and eevrything else is from the original ls1..now I know its a 6.0 cause. I remeebr puttin.g the 6.0l head gaskets on it..but now wondering exactly what kind of block it is??

.2nd...if it is an lq9...well I've heard. You can put l92 heads and ls3 intake on it...true??anyone know more details on this?

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

The lq9 is the replacement for the lq4, pretty much the same block. If you have the lq9 that is what would be better to use and yes all the ls-3 top end will bolt up and help bunches. There is something you need to look into as far as the rocker assembly and they have a kit for that.

Black
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Jack View Post
    The lq9 is the replacement for the lq4, pretty much the same block. If you have the lq9 that is what would be better to use and yes all the ls-3 top end will bolt up and help bunches. There is something you need to look into as far as the rocker assembly and they have a kit for that.

Sweet..but how do I find out what bottom end I have..I've been looking around and can't find anything on the block with pn..I think...not 100% sure..but I think I remember having flat top pistons rather than dished..but I need to make sure

LS2 would be aluminum, LQ4 and LQ9's are cast iron so that's just a quick visual. The cast iron 6.0's have "6.0" cast into the block in 2 locations that I've found out, (around the water pump and behind the bellhousing)

Since you had the heads off you should know right away whether it's an LQ4 or LQ9. LQ9's came with a flat top piston, LQ4's were dished.

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by pmolina0436 View Post
    Sweet..but how do I find out what bottom end I have..I've been looking around and can't find anything on the block with pn..I think...not 100% sure..but I think I remember having flat top pistons rather than dished..but I need to make sure
    Like FB said if you have the flat top pistons it is lq9 and the high output should have a steel crank instead of the fordged and the pistons should have floating wrist pins. hope that helps. Part #'s are hidden some where.

Black
    2004 GTO

Like FB said if you have the flat top pistons it is lq9 and the high output should have a steel crank instead of the fordged and the pistons should have floating wrist pins. hope that helps. Part #'s are hidden some where.
    Out so I'm more than sure its an lq9...but just to make sure there is a lq9 and lq9 HO??damn I ddnt even know what I had but now I know I can put l92 heads which I've hea"rd much about..I've read other forums and some. Owners saying they r geting better results with the 243's..any input on that..

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

Out so I'm more than sure its an lq9...but just to make sure there is a lq9 and lq9 HO??damn I ddnt even know what I had but now I know I can put l92 heads which I've hea"rd much about..I've read other forums and some. Owners saying they r geting better results with the 243's..any input on that..
    The 05-06 gtos have the 243 heads and are good heads but the ls-3 heads and intake flow much better, if you are doing headers, exhaust and a cam, well the more air fuel and exhaust you can move the better. My goat with a cia, headers, exhaust, and a tune made 387 rwhp and 385 rwt, the rest is stock.
    Last edited by Texas Jack; 03-20-2012 at 06:51 AM.

Black
    2004 GTO

The 05-06 gtos have the 243 heads and are good heads but the ls-3 heads and intake flow much better, if you are doing headers, exhaust and a cam, well the more air fuel and exhaust you can move the better. My goat with a cia, headers, exhaust, and a tune made 387 rwhp and 385 rwt, the rest is stock.
    sounds good. I do have long tube headers, no cats, and stock 05 mufflers. so you think the l92 heads with the ls3 intake would be alot better.?? I was checking out the prices and the intake for the 04 gto (ls6 intake) goes for more then the ls3 intake?? wonder why, anyways the ls3 heads are not that expensive also(ive seen some for just as much as 243's) Well Got to save up first since I just got these nitto motivo..but ls3 engine on an 04 gto sound good..

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

sounds good. I do have long tube headers, no cats, and stock 05 mufflers. so you think the l92 heads with the ls3 intake would be alot better.?? I was checking out the prices and the intake for the 04 gto (ls6 intake) goes for more then the ls3 intake?? wonder why, anyways the ls3 heads are not that expensive also(ive seen some for just as much as 243's) Well Got to save up first since I just got these nitto motivo..but ls3 engine on an 04 gto sound good..
    I don't know why the ls6 is more maybe supply but mho is to go ls-3 all the way with the 6.0, it is a much better head and intake combo over the ls-1 or ls-2. Do you have the valley cover for the 6.0 motor it would make your pcv system much better and you put a catch can in if you want to keep oil mist out of the intake.

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

Oh and yes the 6.0 with the ls-3 top end does sound very good and you will love it. Btw you may know but a ture ls-3 is 6.2.

Thread Information