Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

ls1 vs. ls2

This is a discussion on ls1 vs. ls2 within the GTO forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; You can't go wrong with either the LS1 or LS2. However the LS2 came with larger or better brakes than ...

Sunfire Yellow
    02 Collector Edition T/A

You can't go wrong with either the LS1 or LS2.

However the LS2 came with larger or better brakes than the LS1, it has drive by wire TB vs the cable linkage TB for the LS1 and the 05 have rear dual exhaust vs the 2 on the left rear exhuast. Oh and you'll get 6.0L LS2 vs LS1 5.7L. I say if you have no plans to mod either one then you may pay a little more to step into an LS2 but it'll be worth the little extra dough. But you already said speed is important to you.

So dump that Mustank and get which ever one you can afford.

Qucik Silver Metalic
    2004 GTO - M6

I kept my eye on the net for 3 months. I picked up a 04 M6 silver for $18K out the door last january. It had 7,400 miles on it. Now is the time to start looking...and working the dealers and as it closer to the end year the prices will come down. they gotta make sales and they'll be desperate. i give em' 97 sonoma with 150,000 and $2K. the car hadn't been posted for more than hour when i called the dealer. he thought i was used car dealer....www.automart.com you tell them what you want to pay per month for how long and make it there problem...used car dealers always find a way. and use car fax to make sure it's not been busted up. if the deal looks too good...picked up an 84 grand marque for $2K to drive in the winter...rust free with 119K for miles - grocery getter.

Black
    06 Chevy Caprice HT (RIP)

You know why not settle for the 2004 LS1, The 05 and 06 would be high priced..Then go for the LS1 to LS6 conversion...

The kit is around $2500...Plus installation...But its all worth it when you ultimately save thousands...

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Local Pontiac dealer up here has at least 8-10 GTOs sitting in the lot, wayyyy off to the side. LEt me see if I can find some prices.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

http://www.faulknerautogroup.com/en_US/

Showing 5 on the website, I know there are more than that on the lot however. I drive by a few times a week. All still priced in the low $30's range

Qucik Silver Metalic
    2004 GTO - M6

Quote Originally Posted by Naf View Post
    You know why not settle for the 2004 LS1, The 05 and 06 would be high priced..Then go for the LS1 to LS6 conversion...

The kit is around $2500...Plus installation...But its all worth it when you ultimately save thousands...
    I agree - look what Sarge did with his 04 - he's looking to 600 at rw...

Torrid Red
    2004 Pontiac Gto

what is the ls1 to ls6 conversion?

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    The LS2 is much better. Just wait until you find one. In the mean time go and just test drive both and see what you think. I'm sure you will agree.
    I agree LS2 are better in suspension, engine and performance. but I spent
    3k on new suspension (springs, shocks, sfc's) + install, then 3k on lid, 90mm tb, fast intake, lt H and Y, and a nice catback. so it is virtually an LS2 but I spent 14k on stock LS1 + 6k mods= 20k, not 30k+ on a 05 gto, u see my point?

Black

Quote Originally Posted by djsokal View Post
    what is the ls1 to ls6 conversion?
    It is a kit that helps bring out the LS6 from your LS1. Gm is one of the companies that puts this kit out...You may find it just about anywhere. I am not sure if we are allowed to suggest out side sources so feel free to private msg me...

It is a kit that helps bring out the LS6 from your LS1. Gm is one of the companies that puts this kit out...You may find it just about anywhere. I am not sure if we are allowed to suggest out side sources so feel free to private msg me...
    yeah, they want us to us the sponsors site as much as possible, but a private message can do it,, let me know on the website of the ls1 to ls6 kit>?
    does it involve head/cam swap, wassup? just curious. PM me... thanks,

Every day is a gift-enjoy preston1980's Avatar

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

The LS1 is a great engine, many have gotten over 600 horse out of them, but the LS2 is an upgrade. Also the looks of the 05 Goat are better than the 04. the dual exhaust and the hood scoops, plus I hear there are more upgrades in 05 to consider. I say go for the 05. Or wait till they revise the GTO, probally in 07 I hear. A new model will come out.

And remember the ls6 conversion will only put you at 400 horse, which the LS2 starts with, I have driven both cars, I say it is no comparison, but both have gobs of potential.

Black

The new LS2 is a LS1 with LS2 heads, Intake and a special cam.

In any case, we could argue till we are all blue in the face. The main topic of this thread was a persons debate whether to go with a new 2005-2006 GTO or 2004 GTO...Elsewhere in this forum there is a thread from Sarge in regards to Cheap Power which mentions the fact that you could get more power from your LS1 by buyin the Ls1 to LS6 conversion kit. This will put you at the same level as the new GTOs, and inturn you would save more money that you could put in other upgrades...

Black

Talking

I have seen the new 07s for the middle east, they are fine...Not WOW just fine....I like how they fixed the location of the handbrake, but the interior still needs that extra bit...

I like the front widebody look and the engine bay configuration....

If you would like pics just ask...I GOT MY MEM CARD and lookin to use my new Camera

Quote Originally Posted by preston1980 View Post
    The LS1 is a great engine, many have gotten over 600 horse out of them, but the LS2 is an upgrade. Also the looks of the 05 Goat are better than the 04. the dual exhaust and the hood scoops, plus I hear there are more upgrades in 05 to consider. I say go for the 05. Or wait till they revise the GTO, probally in 07 I hear. A new model will come out.

And remember the ls6 conversion will only put you at 400 horse, which the LS2 starts with, I have driven both cars, I say it is no comparison, but both have gobs of potential.
    the goat is done for now, Pontiac will come with a new Trans Am in 2009... that's their flagship car and they will have it. gto may come back at later point.

Every day is a gift-enjoy preston1980's Avatar

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

The new LS2 is a LS1 with LS2 heads, Intake and a special cam.

In any case, we could argue till we are all blue in the face. The main topic of this thread was a persons debate whether to go with a new 2005-2006 GTO or 2004 GTO...Elsewhere in this forum there is a thread from Sarge in regards to Cheap Power which mentions the fact that you could get more power from your LS1 by buyin the Ls1 to LS6 conversion kit. This will put you at the same level as the new GTOs, and inturn you would save more money that you could put in other upgrades...

Actually, the LS2 is completely differant from the LS1. It is a 6.0 liter vs 5.7 and differant heads, differant comperssion ratios (10.9:1 vs 10:1), a differant cam, intake is also differant. It not even a 350 any more, they even uped the redline. So one shouldnt say they are any thing like each other, except for the aluminum small block. I believe there is a new part # for a lot of other things in and on the LS2 as well.

And the title of the thread is LS1 vs LS2, so I say LS2 is the better engine and 2005 is the better year.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

LS1 is like a old school V8 with a 4 barrel, LS2 is like a old school V8 with a 2x4 Tunnel Ram .....

hahahha noice, but I still keep the ls1, nice to mod it mate. when all is said and done, u need to do heads/cam as well on the ls2 and some new headers perhaps. it come close. ls1 is much less money..

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

My thought was about the original post and if your not going to mod for awhile the LS2 is better. Not everyone has money to mod as soon as you buy a car or wants to while the warrenty is still good. We all know the modded potentential is the same.

true dat.

Brazin Orange
    2006 GTO

Wink The LS2 is a stronger engine for the stock money

I had a 98 LS1, and for the money the LS2 is a better stock engine from the get go. Yes, with more money and mods the LS1 can of course be made to run or beat the LS2....but money is always the factor. I love my new GTO...little heavier, but still in all a better car for the money! I will always love my Camaro...and maybe in late 08 or 09 I will by the new Camaro...but until then....GTO LS2 all the way!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information