Thread: Loud Ls2

Torrid Red
    2005 GTO

Loud Ls2

Just picked up an 05 GTO 6SPEED 29,000 miles. Love the car already, but the motor is mechanically loud. Seems to me when she is cold i can hear bearing noise in the bottom-end of the motor! Everyone I have talked to says its normal, most people cant hear it (I can) is this something to worry about or are LS2 motors just loud? Thanks in advance for any help.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

The "sewing machine" noise is somewhat common with the LS series engines. Have you drained the oil yet? If not, do so and check for metal shavings. You could also check the tensioner pulleys, as those will also give a similar sound sometimes.

Red w/ silver Stripes
    2000 WS6 6 Speed

As said above ls engines are notorious for been loud motor (mechanically). everything from the valve train to piston slap. But yes the first thing i would do is drain the oil and replace with your choice. Also monitor the oil while draining and let some run over your finger checking for shavings or grit. Im sure with 29,000 you dont have much to worry about tho.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Could be the wrong viscosity oil in your car as well. When you change the oil, make sure you run the required 5w30 and see if the noise goes away. It could also be piston slap as the engines are built loosely to allow for expansion of the rings in the cylinders once the engine heats up.

Torrid Red
    2005 GTO

Thanks a ton guys. I feel better already. I need to figure out how to post some pics. I am going to take it to the local "Stealer" Im sorry I mean Dealer later this week and have her inspected and the oil changed. No, I would not normally do this but Im sure if there is anything wrong with her they will tell me! I do truly love the car so far. As far as mods, I don't like the Amber corners on the car and would like clear ones. I like the tranny, dont like the shifter! The guy I bought the car from just spent a ton of money sending off the stock wheels and having them "black chromed", and I must admit they look good, but I saw a GTO with some VMR VB3's and it was beautiful! Anyone want the others, they are for sale. The car already has the full Corsa exhaust, K&N cai, and Super Chips programmer. I would also like a lip spoiler for the trunk instead of the factory unit. I dont think it looks bad I just think a smaller spoiler looks better. If you guys know where I could get any of this stuff please help. As always, thanks and looking forward to getting to know you guys.

Keith

Red w/ silver Stripes
    2000 WS6 6 Speed

Yeah the dealership should be able to inspect the oil and inspect the car for you but most of the time they are in it for the money and add a few more recommendations lol. Also the k&n have been proven for the allowance of letting more dust and particles through (more air flow= more dirt flow) But I dont think you have anything to worry about. Keep us updated

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by kellyx5 View Post
    Thanks a ton guys. I feel better already. I need to figure out how to post some pics. I am going to take it to the local "Stealer" Im sorry I mean Dealer later this week and have her inspected and the oil changed. No, I would not normally do this but Im sure if there is anything wrong with her they will tell me! I do truly love the car so far. As far as mods, I don't like the Amber corners on the car and would like clear ones. I like the tranny, dont like the shifter! The guy I bought the car from just spent a ton of money sending off the stock wheels and having them "black chromed", and I must admit they look good, but I saw a GTO with some VMR VB3's and it was beautiful! Anyone want the others, they are for sale. The car already has the full Corsa exhaust, K&N cai, and Super Chips programmer. I would also like a lip spoiler for the trunk instead of the factory unit. I dont think it looks bad I just think a smaller spoiler looks better. If you guys know where I could get any of this stuff please help. As always, thanks and looking forward to getting to know you guys.

Keith
    You could try eBay for the wheels and lip spoiler. Or you could check out Afterthoughtsauto(sponsor) for an HSV-style lip spoiler. There is a guy I bought my lip spoiler from who goes by the name Maverick Man. Mine is carbon fiber and I love it. I don't know if he will sell you a spoiler though as he has a policy that he only sells to members of another GTO site, but you could ask. Just search for Maverick Man Carbon online and you will find him. I invited him to come on here, but he is too busy with shows, fabbing up parts/supplying them to customers.

Torrid Red
    2005 GTO

That is the exact lip I was looking at! It is beautiful! If you wouldnt mind, send me some pics or maybe a link to some pics of your GOAT, I would love to see her. On his site you really dont get a good view. How about the dark head-light and tail-light bezels. I see a lot of GTO's with them and they look great. How hard is it to de-emblem the car? I would like to remove everything but the GTO on the side. Sorry for so many qeustions and as always thanks!

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Here ya go:

Red w/ silver Stripes
    2000 WS6 6 Speed

damn thats sexy^^

Torrid Red
    2005 GTO

Absolutely beautiful! The car looks fantastic. Thanks guys for all your help. It was 38 degrees this morning and I started her up and it sounded the same no louder at all. I think its just a loud motor but when I take her to the local dealer to have the oil changed, it will give me peice of mind. Cammed Goat are those Holden Wheels?

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Thanks guys. The guy who makes the spoiler is in this month's issue of GMHTP. His car is badass!!

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by kellyx5 View Post
    Absolutely beautiful! The car looks fantastic. Thanks guys for all your help. It was 38 degrees this morning and I started her up and it sounded the same no louder at all. I think its just a loud motor but when I take her to the local dealer to have the oil changed, it will give me peice of mind. Cammed Goat are those Holden Wheels?
    No. They are Stern ST-1. 18x8.5 in front and 18x9.5 rear.

Machine Silver
    04 Corvette

To reduce engine noise on the cars that I have owned, 05 GTO, 04 GTO, 05 Vette, 05 GTO and currently 04 Vette, I let the engine warmup to operating temperature before taking off. In addition, I use ATL friction reducer during every oil change. ATL reduces friction by 48%.

Letting the engine warmup to operating temperature heats the oil for better oil penatration to medal surfaces.

Torrid Red
    2005 GTO

O.K. guys two questions, 1. CG your wheels are 18x8.5 and 18x9.5, what is your offset? What size tires are you running? Did you have to "roll" your fenderwell? 2. GR Where can I get the ATL? As always guys I cant thank you enough! CG any chance of a pic from the rear of your car?

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

35mm front, 38mm rear. 235-45-18 front and 275-35-18 Z rated Nitto NT555Extreme. Rear fenders have been rolled.

Torrid Red
    2005 GTO

Thanks for the info! Looking at a package deal on some VMR VB3'S and will probably go with about the same size. Love the rear tire size on yours, I didn't really want to roll the rear fender but it looks like I will have to to run a 275! Thanks a ton for the info!

Torrid Red
    2005 GTO

GoatRider, where can I get the ATL? Did you notice a big difference in the sound (mechanically) of your motor?

Thread Information