Impulse Blue
    2005 a4 GTO

Longtube header install

was told by B&E performance in killeen, that a header install would be about 500 dollars. i then asked why this is so expensive for a simple procedure and was told that the engine needed to be lifted and the rack and pinion needed to be un bolted. am i crazy or am i getting swindled? because i swear every diy longtube install ove seen has said only 2ft of lift is needed off of the ground and nothing needs to be unbolted but the old exhaust system. hmmm

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Some headers will require the engine to be tilted. I think the driver side motor mount has to be loosened and the engine tilted toward the passenger side and the rack needs to be loosened and disconnected from the steering shaft in order for the tubes to clear. This is SOME longtube headers. Not all. If you are doing it yourself, start with the rack disconnecting and try to slide the driver header in. If that doesn't work, then you will have to disconnect the driver side motor mount.

Impulse Blue
    2005 a4 GTO

Thanks maN, once again you kick ass.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Not a prob.

Machine Silver
    04 Corvette

The problem with long tube headers is that such headers are not emissions legal on the GTO, require a dyno tune and tend to burn out cats.

On a 05 GTO A4 that I owned, I had long tube headers installed with cats. After a dyno tune, it made 349 HP and 348 TQ to the wheels at a cost of about 15 hundred dollars. After burning out two sets of cats at 600 dollars per burn out, I decided to run straight pipes with no cats.

If the orginial position of a cat is changed due to long tube headers, it is not legal for emissions even if cats are added on to the long tube headers. This is a classic example of buyers beware.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by GoatRider View Post
    The problem with long tube headers is that such headers are not emissions legal on the GTO, require a dyno tune and tend to burn out cats.

On a 05 GTO A4 that I owned, I had long tube headers installed with cats. After a dyno tune, it made 349 HP and 348 TQ to the wheels at a cost of about 15 hundred dollars. After burning out two sets of cats at 600 dollars per burn out, I decided to run straight pipes with no cats.

If the orginial position of a cat is changed due to long tube headers, it is not legal for emissions even if cats are added on to the long tube headers. This is a classic example of buyers beware.
    All the more reason I will run JBA cat4ward or OBX shorties. I can keep my factory midpipes.

Thread Information