Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

last year of the G.T.O?

This is a discussion on last year of the G.T.O? within the GTO forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Wayah-bird I only wish I could grab a GTO before they disappear. I have a feeling most ...

Barbados Blue
    2004 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Wayah-bird
    I only wish I could grab a GTO before they disappear. I have a feeling most of the negative comments are by folks that wish they could have one too. With the GTO being discontinued so quick it becomes an instant classic. How can any true GM fan scoff at a 400 HP beast? The body may not be a classic but it is easily overcome by the ultimate in performance. I hope everyone at LS1.com can appreciate the times we live in. We could easily be headed to another 70's era with the environmentalists screaming for alternative this and that. Let's hope not but history does seem to repeat. I'll keep my LS1 forever until the lucky day comes that I can get a GTO or Corvette, if available anymore. Scary!
    The Ls1 was the best motor evey built for a stock car the motor is the only motor the can handle 200-250 horsepower increase over stock power with stock internals and the LS1 was the best Gas milage v8 every made with over 300 horsepower I have seen guy try to blow these motors up and I have yet seen one come apart think about it have you every seen PIctures of a LS1 breaking except maybe from old age with like 100k and 15 lbs of boost I am glade i have the last LS1 probly to be ever made again. Ls2 are nice but will never be has good has the original.

Quicksilver
    2004 Pontiac GTO

I seem to recall a grip of people saying that same thing about the LT1 when the LS1 was released.

Barbados Blue
    2004 Pontiac GTO

yea your probly right i am to young to rember that but i do rember that there was a lot of new tecnoligy changes that took place at the same time has the motor. and maybe that will happen again maybe we will be surprised by a whole new way of thinking. you never know

x-GTO Owner still love em ctbeiser's Avatar

Graystone
    2006 Silverado Z-71

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrod
    One of my new clients works for a local dealership and I spoke with him yesterday. He also stated that they have been told that the GTO is done for good. He also said that they have been told that the new Camaro is a definate, but that they are toying with prices and he says right now they are talking about releasing it in the $40,000 range!
    I am pretty sure the new Camaro is going to be in the mid 20's, comparable to the Mustang. From what I heard, the high retail price also contributed to the axe of the GTO. I know they will not do that again. I have a source at GM who is working on the Camaro and he says Bob Lutz himself said the car has to be in hte mid to upper 20's. Only time will tell....

Barbados Blue
    2004 Pontiac GTO

Well I hope so but I hope its not a nother rattle trap like the fbody i hope the interios is nice like the GTO. EVen tho i still liked my 01 TA.

Quote Originally Posted by ctbeiser
    I am pretty sure the new Camaro is going to be in the mid 20's, comparable to the Mustang. From what I heard, the high retail price also contributed to the axe of the GTO. I know they will not do that again. I have a source at GM who is working on the Camaro and he says Bob Lutz himself said the car has to be in hte mid to upper 20's. Only time will tell....

You get what you pay for. The GTO was never meant to be a high seller in the first place. Production numbers were scheduled for less than 15,000 units per year. They made more el-cheapo Mustangs in the first year then all 3 years the GTO will be produced. Hell, there are more C6 Vettes out there right now. It was meant to be what it is. A luxury level Sports Sedan. Not a market grabber. They never did tons of advertising or commercials about them. They also dont sit on the lots very long at least around here.
    With the Camaro, I will be willing to bet they go after Fords share of the mid level sportier market. I would also be willing the bet the 08 GTO will be a lower production luxury level sports sedan just like the current models are.

Pulse Red
    2004 GTO

It was no secret in '04 that the holden GTO was only going to have a 3 year run.....18,000 per year for 3 years was Lutz's statement.
    The Monorao platform will not meet 07 seatbelt/airbag requirements, again this was no secret.
    GTO Discontinued due to lack luster sales is just plain bull.....

Quicksilver Metallic
    2005 GTO

I heard imports were actually limited to 18,000 in '04, 15,000 in '05, and 12,000 in '06, due to trade agreements. They sold most of those so I think that part was a success. I guess they would have enjoyed running out in the middle of the year and having to tell people to wait until next year.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

You know guys. i still dont think the car was marketed right.Like I was telling Sarge it didnt act like a GTO. It acted more like a baby Bonniville. Maybe would hve went over better if it had been sold as one. It is a very good car and is priced about right. But to hight to get to most people that should be buying it. It looks and acts more like a BMW that a f-body older brother. IMO

Quicksilver
    2004 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by snaggeltooth
    It looks and acts more like a BMW that a f-body older brother. IMO
    ...Which is a major part of what makes it such a kickass car.

GM Service Advisor

Black
    2002 Pontiac T/A Firehawk

Just heard today(statement from Bob Lutz)...the GTO is coming back!...in 2008, most likely with the Camaro as its platform twin. Both being built of the Austailian built Zeta platform coming up. They hope to be priced lower than the GTO was, hopefully similar to the Mustangs pricing.
    2002 T/A Firehawk,M6,Black,IROC Spoiler,Chrome wheels,base suspension and diff.SLP CAI,Y-pipe,SFC,STB,Lightweight steel flywheel,SLP pulley,descreened MAF,B&M Ripper,steel 3/4 shift fork,SLP rear LCA,4:10 gears,T/A girdle with stud kit,HPP3.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

true doric. I just wish the car had not been advertised to such a small crowd. Something about the 2-door coupe is a hard sell to higher priced cars.

Torrid Red
    2004 Pontiac GTO

From "The Buzz" column in GMHTP...."The new '08 GTO will get the new LS3 6.2L motor, reputed to offer between 430 to 450hp. The '08 GTO will be based on the new GMX 282 platform and will also offer the tamer L76 6.0L and 6L80E 6-spd. auto trans."

Lookin' like MORE fun coming....
    Tim Schermerhorn
    '04 GTO (Trip-Red leftover)
    '99 Dakota R/T CC (FOR SALE)
    '93 Typhoon (the Red Rollerskate!)
    '87 Turbo T's X 2 (WE-4 & LMTD.)

Pulse Red
    2004 GTO

maybe they should have resurected ANOTHER Classic Pontiac name instead of GTO

Quote Originally Posted by snaggeltooth
    You know guys. i still dont think the car was marketed right.Like I was telling Sarge it didnt act like a GTO. It acted more like a baby Bonniville. Maybe would hve went over better if it had been sold as one. It is a very good car and is priced about right. But to hight to get to most people that should be buying it. It looks and acts more like a BMW that a f-body older brother. IMO
    I think our cars would have been more successful is they would have been marketed as
    VENTURA 2+2's
    or just plain
    PONTIAC 2+2

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

We know Pontiac can make good looking cars. The Solstice and the G6 coupe are very nice cars. The G6 coupe looks alot like the new Eclipse. I think if Pontiac would have had more impute into the sheet metal it might have done better, and I think that it is where we are going with the New GTO.

silver
    2002 ws6

Hey....I could care less about the GTO b/c I have been a T/A guy.Although the way they have handeled the whole GTO concept is crap...as long as the TA is dead then my baby with 6000 miles goes up in demand and makes me happy. WS6

Barbados Blue
    2004 Pontiac GTO

I have own 2 ta's and let me tell you the gto is so much better when it come to haveing a car that the interor is accually bolted and not gm cliped and the car it self fills stronger when it come to how its built just wish it was lighter

Hotrod
    Have they released any pics of what the 08 GTO is gonna look like? Is it gonna look like the current GTO (grocery getter Grand Am with a big motor), or are they going to completely redesign the looks to a more aggressive look?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information