Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

last year of the G.T.O?

This is a discussion on last year of the G.T.O? within the GTO forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; The Camaro concept is based on the Zeta platform, which was to be shared with the redesigned GTO. The GTO ...

Silver
    2002 T/A

The Camaro concept is based on the Zeta platform, which was to be shared with the redesigned GTO. The GTO was a strong runner, but lacked styling. (Yeah, I know I'll get hate mail for that sentence.) After looking at the Camaro concept, answer this: with each using the same powertrain, which would you choose: a GTO, or a Camaro/Firebird?

My bet is that after the overwhelmingly postive reception of the Camaro concept, the brass is putting the Goat down and will bring back a Firebird in its place.

Think about it - GM is NOT going to watch Ford run away with the pony car market. Build the Camaro, and a Firebird, and they will sell every one they can squeeze out the door.

Lord knows GM needs something other than another SUV Bloatmobile to put in the showrooms.
    Last edited by Gardner0871; 02-26-2006 at 10:41 PM.

Hotrod
    One of my new clients works for a local dealership and I spoke with him yesterday. He also stated that they have been told that the GTO is done for good. He also said that they have been told that the new Camaro is a definate, but that they are toying with prices and he says right now they are talking about releasing it in the $40,000 range!

Quicksilver
    2004 Pontiac GTO

There's some great information about the Camaro concept over at 5thgen.org. A good bit of discussion as well - regarding the Camaro and other muscle cars that may or may not be a part of GM's future.

The general consensus seems to be that the GTO or the Firebird may be making an appearance based on the platform (and undoubtedly the success) of the the Camaro should it see production.

Of course, it's all conjecture and rumor at this point. One of the blog posts that Lutz made in the last couple of weeks says that the Firebird isn't an option, citing the bad press surrounding GM's penchant for 'badge engineering' across multiple brands.

I agree with that sentiment.

Regardless, I have my GTO. If I get a hankerin', I'll add an LS2 GTO to the stable in the future.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

If the Camaro is going to be in the $40k range....my Trans Am is looking better and better..

1 of 396 T/A Conv 2001 Wayah-bird's Avatar

Taupe/Red
    2001 Trans Am Conv

It's Official (for now)

GM changes their mind every few months. The GTO is dead, so if you want one, don't wait too long. The Firebird will NOT be brought back, just the possibility of the Camaro, which, according to most car magazines (C & D, Motor Trend, etc) still is not a done deal. That's the scoop for now but wait a few months to see if they change their minds again. I'm sure GM is watching the Mustang sales slow down too. They won't build anything if the trend continues at Ford. GT sales are good but that's not enough. If you want to see something incredible, look at the 'completed' for sale 2005 Mustangs on ebay. Maybe 5-10% of the total cars listed were sold. Not much demand. The people that wanted Mustangs have bought them already. The market is drying up, just like in years past. GM sees it.

Quicksilver
    2004 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Wayah-bird
    I'm sure GM is watching the Mustang sales slow down too. They won't build anything if the trend continues at Ford.
    Well, to me, a retro design is doomed from the start anyhow. Where do you go from there? How do you evolve a retro design? Do you proceed through the generations again? Will we see an updated Mustang II for 2010?

Taupe/Red
    2001 Trans Am Conv

Exactly, I was thinking that very thing when I first laid eyes on the new Mustang design. I figured 2-3 years of "everyone has to have one" to now what? Camaro will be the same way but even worse if the price tag is too high. At least Mustang GT's are still in the $30,000 range. Getting close to $40,000 is just too much as that would almost be approaching the Corvette neighborhood. How many sales could there be? Well I wish GM the best. I want them to succeed so bad but they need something high performance in the $20-$30,000 range so that everyday folks might be able to own one someday. The turbo Solstice coming out soon is a step in the right direction. Maybe Chevy can re-badge it from Pontiac and come out with something similar, maybe squeeze a small V8 in there to be different?

Quicksilver
    2004 Pontiac GTO

Well, the Solstice/Sky is supposed to have a turbocharged variant very soon. Power-to-weight will be remarkably similar to the LS1 twins.

Hotrod
    Yeah but from what I've seen the Pontiac is already over-priced and if they release a turbo/supercharged version it'll just be that much higher. $26,000-$28,000 for a little 4 cylinder? Not hardly!! I do think they look cool but throw in extra power and the price jumps up to what...$32,000-$35,000?

Oh and I drive a Saturn now so trust me when I say "They are pieces of SHIT!" so I wouldn't buy that Sky regardless of what motor is put in it. The resell value on Saturn are a joke too. I put $2,000 down on my 2004 Ion and I pay 0% percent interest and I'm upside-down in it! I'm getting away from this and into a truck ASAP!

Let's just hope that they get it right and give us the Camaro and a re-tooled GTO. I gotta say the HP on the GTO's sound awesome but the appearance is just a joke. And I know A LOT of people who say the same thing about it.

Quicksilver
    2004 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrod
    Yeah but from what I've seen the Pontiac is already over-priced and if they release a turbo/supercharged version it'll just be that much higher. $26,000-$28,000 for a little 4 cylinder? Not hardly!! I do think they look cool but throw in extra power and the price jumps up to what...$32,000-$35,000?
    I highly doubt that. MSRP for the Solstice is under $20K. OK - it's $19,995 or something close. So $20K. Anyway, I have heard that adding options drives the price up a bit, but I haven't seen anything to say that you couldn't get a loaded one for $25K or thereabouts.

But a 260hp roadster with options at $30-$33K isn't out of line at all. In fact, some might call it a bargain if it can retain or improve on its current handling ability.

Oh and I drive a Saturn now so trust me when I say "They are pieces of SHIT!" so I wouldn't buy that Sky regardless of what motor is put in it. The resell value on Saturn are a joke too. I put $2,000 down on my 2004 Ion and I pay 0% percent interest and I'm upside-down in it! I'm getting away from this and into a truck ASAP!
    Sorry you've had a bad experience. From what I've seen with the Sky concept at the Denver Auto Show last year, it's a marked improvement. It's not made by Rubbermaid, for example, and the interior is far above what you'd expect from Saturn or GM for that matter. Of course, that was the concept, and you can never tell what's going to happen when the car actually hits the showroom floor.

Let's just hope that they get it right and give us the Camaro and a re-tooled GTO. I gotta say the HP on the GTO's sound awesome but the appearance is just a joke. And I know A LOT of people who say the same thing about it.
    What you think, and what "a LOT of people" think, is entirely subjective.

Taupe/Red
    2001 Trans Am Conv

GTO is excellent!

I only wish I could grab a GTO before they disappear. I have a feeling most of the negative comments are by folks that wish they could have one too. With the GTO being discontinued so quick it becomes an instant classic. How can any true GM fan scoff at a 400 HP beast? The body may not be a classic but it is easily overcome by the ultimate in performance. I hope everyone at LS1.com can appreciate the times we live in. We could easily be headed to another 70's era with the environmentalists screaming for alternative this and that. Let's hope not but history does seem to repeat. I'll keep my LS1 forever until the lucky day comes that I can get a GTO or Corvette, if available anymore. Scary!

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

I agree we could be liveing in good times , as far as getting muscle. The LS1 was as fast ,or faster , than most classic muscle. I just hope GM makes it happen .

Hotrod
    "I highly doubt that. MSRP for the Solstice is under $20K. OK - it's $19,995 or something close. So $20K. Anyway, I have heard that adding options drives the price up a bit, but I haven't seen anything to say that you couldn't get a loaded one for $25K or thereabouts."

The only way you get it for $19,999 is without ABS, without power windows, without power door locks, without keyless entry, without a radio, without speakers, without air conditioning, without actual rims (you get those cheap looking hubcaps). All of the above mentioned items are "options" which drives up the price. On gmbuypower it shows the extra cost for each of these itmes because they are not standard. So if your cool without any of the above mentioned itmes then yes you can get it for $19,000 but around my neck of the woods they are selling at the dealerships for $26,000-$28,000 depending on options.

Sorry you've had a bad experience. From what I've seen with the Sky concept at the Denver Auto Show last year, it's a marked improvement. It's not made by Rubbermaid, for example, and the interior is far above what you'd expect from Saturn or GM for that matter. Of course, that was the concept, and you can never tell what's going to happen when the car actually hits the showroom floor.

I've heard the same thing about the new Sky, however on Saturn website they had a press release stating that the automatic transmission version is going to be released at $28,995 and that's for a base model (just meaning it won't have the nice leather that is shown in all the pictures nor will it have the fancy rims like is shown in the pictures). So add in those 2 things (if you even wanted it) and the price climbs. Now that might change, who knows? My point is that based on their reputation, resell value of prior cars, and the fact that they are liable to be over-priced for what your getting, I'd rather have a Nissan 350Z if I'm in the market for a 2-seater. I'm looking at getting the most for the buck. The Sky looks good too, but line that Z up to the Sky and it's no contest. Even though some people don't care about HP...that's something I always look into.

What you think, and what "a LOT of people" think, is entirely subjective.

Sorry, I was referring to my own family and friends, and the guys I race with. No offense to any GTO owners.
    Last edited by Hotrod; 03-01-2006 at 08:06 AM.

Quicksilver
    2004 Pontiac GTO

Sorry, I was referring to my own family and friends, and the guys I race with. No offense to any GTO owners.
    No need to apologize. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I'm not so Goat-blind as to believe that it's for everyone.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge
    Yeah...the chatter around is a GTO for 08 on the same platform as the Camaro....oh well....we shall see....
    Thats exactly correct!

red
    04 pontiac gto

dammit ive been saving up for one ever since they came back out...there are a few 2005's in my area but they all say base model..what do i look for i want the best model out there?

Quicksilver
    2004 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by firebird99
    dammit ive been saving up for one ever since they came back out...there are a few 2005's in my area but they all say base model..what do i look for i want the best model out there?
    There is only one model. In fact, the only option is the transmission.

I take that back. For '05, you could get optional 18" wheels, and some dealers offered the Sport Appearance Package.

red
    04 pontiac gto

Quote Originally Posted by Doric
    There is only one model. In fact, the only option is the transmission.

I take that back. For '05, you could get optional 18" wheels, and some dealers offered the Sport Appearance Package.
    hey ty i was under the impression there were different models...whats the best color for them...man i need to get the money up quick i want one badly

Quicksilver
    2004 Pontiac GTO

That's completely up to you; I'm really partial to the Quicksilver (obviously) and the new Brazen Orange Metallic for '06.

black
    '97 Jimmy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information