Nero
    2006 gto

Last night in Providence...

Just a random rambling here. So last night (Oct 24) it wasnt exactly raining in Providence, there was more water in the air than AIR in the air. Im doing about 45 in the Goat on 95 south in Providence, when the minivan in front of me forcefully applies his brakes. He didnt jack on them, just came to a controlled, quick stop. I did the same. The guy tailgating me in an Avalanche couldnt. Im a very aware driver, so I could see him in my rearview. His headlights vanishes, and I looked to my right blindspot. I was face to face with his rear bumper while he slammed into the center jersey barrier. He proceeded to ricochet off, and I was then looking at his smashed in front bumper coming straight at my driver's side door. Thank God there was no one to the right of me, I had to swerve 3 lanes and ended up drifting for a half second to avoid him. BTW, I am the level BELOW novice when it comes to drifting....

Needless to say, his (actually, probably a her) SUV was messed up bad. I came away with no damage, but I wanted to throw up as soon as I was back in the clear. It was a mixture of driving experience, awareness, and pure dumb luck that me and my car are ok.

Take away what you will from this story. Im pretty sure the Avalanche driver wont be tailgating people anymore, but you never know.
    Last edited by PatrizioD; 10-25-2009 at 09:26 AM. Reason: to clarify that Im not a good drifter

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by PatrizioD View Post
    Just a random rambling here. So last night (Oct 24) it wasnt exactly raining in Providence, there was more water in the air than AIR in the air. Im doing about 45 in the Goat on 95 south in Providence, when the minivan in front of me forcefully applies his brakes. He didnt jack on them, just came to a controlled, quick stop. I did the same. The guy tailgating me in an Avalanche couldnt. Im a very aware driver, so I could see him in my rearview. His headlights vanishes, and I looked to my right blindspot. I was face to face with his rear bumper while he slammed into the center jersey barrier. He proceeded to ricochet off, and I was then looking at his smashed in front bumper coming straight at my driver's side door. Thank God there was no one to the right of me, I had to swerve 3 lanes and ended up drifting for a half second to avoid him. BTW, I am the level BELOW novice when it comes to drifting....

Needless to say, his (actually, probably a her) SUV was messed up bad. I came away with no damage, but I wanted to throw up as soon as I was back in the clear. It was a mixture of driving experience, awareness, and pure dumb luck that me and my car are ok.

Take away what you will from this story. Im pretty sure the Avalanche driver wont be tailgating people anymore, but you never know.
    I know we are not perfect, but inattentive drivers SHOULD NOT be on our roads...PERIOD. When I drive my car and I am behind other motorists, I glimpse at them through their side and rearview mirrors to anticipate their next move or what they are doing. If I see them looking down, I either change lanes or I let off the gas. I DO NOT want to be another insurance casualty as some of these morons almost ALWAYS use that B.S. "AT LEAST I'M INSURED!!!" That DOES NOT wash with most of us as this laid back mentality is the reason folks no longer use proper manners and walk around with chips on their shoulder. I mean, is it so wrong to try to NOT make mistakes?

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Just glad to hear your goat didnt end up in the scrap yard or worst you in the hospital,I had something happen similar to me last week someone in front of me decided they had to lock the brakes up so I had to stop rather quickly as well good thing I was a considerable distance away when they did,as the woman driver following me had me wondering if she was going to stop in time,needless to say I was looking for an escape route,damn if I was letting her hit me in the ass.thank goodness she stopped in time!

Nero
    2006 gto

People around here drive 25mph on the main road, which is a 35mph zone. The main road around here is 3 lanes, 1+1 with a full center lane for turning left into one of the hundreds of businesses or sidestreets. AT LEAST twice a day I get stuck behind some jackass who just STOPS in the travel lane to turn left, and ISNT using a turn signal. My car is a source of both extreme joy, and agonizing pain. Police never do their jobs around here; they drive hemi Chargers--that weigh around 5500 pounds--around surface streets, guzzling Premium Shell V-Power. I've never seen anyone pulled over for going 15 in a 35 past a cop with a mile long line of traffic behind them, and Ive been in that situation countless times.

This started as a story, turned into a rant, and is now my desperate attempt to keep my sanity by venting to like-minded folks. Please, do yourselves a favor, and if you're ever in RI, stay the HELL away from Mineral Spring Avenue in North Providence/Pawtucket.

Thread Information