Thread: Knock Sensor?

Awaiting Activation 5.7literMustangEater's Avatar

Torrid Red
    2004 Pontiac GTO

Question Knock Sensor?

Well I am kicking a P0327 code (knock sensor 1 circuit low input) after the header install. Easy fix, I just gotta get a new one and swap it out. My question is since there are 2 sensors under the intake manifold, which one is sensor 1? I'm figuring it is probably the one closest to the throttle body, but am unsure, so if anyone out there knows please fill me in. Thanks!!

Torrid Red
    2004 Pontiac GTO

Anyone have an idea??? Lots of looks, but no response!! Help a fellow greaser out!!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'm 99.99% sure that the front is number 1. I would probably just replace both while the intake was off. They're relatively cheap and if one is bad it could be a sign moisture has gotten under the intake and #2 might be prone to go next.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Do you want me to bring my dremel tomorrow for some porting since we are taking the intake manifold off anyway for the sensors?

'99 -- Z/28 -- Pewter

I'm actually having this same problem. just put on a set of LT's, and shortly after finishing and taking a short trip down the road my SES light came on throwing a code about the knock sensor. can't remember the exact code..

My question is why would one go bad just with changing to LT's. and what else could cause the light to come on for the knock sensor?

Torrid Red
    2004 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by LS1Jason View Post
    I'm actually having this same problem. just put on a set of LT's, and shortly after finishing and taking a short trip down the road my SES light came on throwing a code about the knock sensor. can't remember the exact code..

My question is why would one go bad just with changing to LT's. and what else could cause the light to come on for the knock sensor?
    I was wondering the same thing, but when I took off the intake manifold and got to the sensors I found the problem! My front knock sensor was corroded beyond belief (I actually had to break out my vaccuum to clean the corrosion out of the sensor hole) probably from some water that leaked under the manifold from cleaning the engine bay. As for why it occurs when putting on LT's I have no idea, but I just went to the parts store bought 2 new ones and replaced the old ones and I'm good to go!!

It wasn't a bad replacement either, all in all took me about an hour to unhook, replace and put everything back together. Only thing that sucked was that I broke one of the bolts for the fuel rails, so I have to get that sucker outta there (broke 3 bits trying to drill into it in order to use the broken bolt extractor). I'm thinking I may have to just drill it out, tap it and re-thread so I can get a new bolt in there.

'99 -- Z/28 -- Pewter

well, i took the car out for a spin yesterday, I'd stopped at a gas station to get a drink. When i came back out and cranked it, my SES light had gone off. The power difference once the light was off and it wasn't throwing any codes was friggin awesome.

Is it possible for part of my exhaust to be hitting on something and cause it to show knock?

Torrid Red
    2004 Pontiac GTO

well, i took the car out for a spin yesterday, I'd stopped at a gas station to get a drink. When i came back out and cranked it, my SES light had gone off. The power difference once the light was off and it wasn't throwing any codes was friggin awesome.

Is it possible for part of my exhaust to be hitting on something and cause it to show knock?
    That may be the cause, but keep on eye on your engine light, if it comes on again I would just replace them.

I hear ya on the power difference, my GOAT got up and went a whole hell of a lot quicker once I replaced the sensors and took her out for a spin.

'99 -- Z/28 -- Pewter

i haven't even priced them. how much are new knock sensors?

Torrid Red
    2004 Pontiac GTO

i haven't even priced them. how much are new knock sensors?
    I got mine from Advance Auto and they were $44.95 plus tax, roughly $100 for both. I had to go to 2 different Advance store's because they only have one in stock at a time. Good thing they were just 5 miles apart LOL!!

'99 -- Z/28 -- Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by 5.7literMustangEater View Post
    It wasn't a bad replacement either, all in all took me about an hour to unhook, replace and put everything back together.
    Did mine yesterday evening. front one was bad. corroded as hell.

I'm not the most mechanical, but if you did it all in an hour you had to do something i didn't see. I had about 3 hrs wrapped up in it. Not counting phone calls in the meantime, or a couple trips back to autozone for tools i didn't have (8mm socket for one). Really wasn't too bad though. Cars running like a champ now!

Thread Information