just installed headers n the car sucks !

This is a discussion on just installed headers n the car sucks ! within the GTO forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; hey guys how u doin all... yesterday i installed a 3 inch long tube headers kit with a catback system..after ...

BLACK
    chevy caprice 2001

just installed headers n the car sucks !

hey guys how u doin all...

yesterday i installed a 3 inch long tube headers kit with a catback system..after installing it everything seemed good until i started the car n shift it to R or D

its like it gona die..on part throttle it seems its not gettin enough fuel and its gona die...on full throttle at high rpm u hear a really bad poppin sound from the exhaust...

i got msd wire n split fire plugs since month ago n were workin fine..dont say that they jus WORE OUT !!

so any input is really apprecaitee it..

btw my car has no o2 sensors r catalic converters (since i bought from the dealer !

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by tdeath View Post
    hey guys how u doin all...

yesterday i installed a 3 inch long tube headers kit with a catback system..after installing it everything seemed good until i started the car n shift it to R or D

its like it gona die..on part throttle it seems its not gettin enough fuel and its gona die...on full throttle at high rpm u hear a really bad poppin sound from the exhaust...

i got msd wire n split fire plugs since month ago n were workin fine..dont say that they jus WORE OUT !!

so any input is really apprecaitee it..

btw my car has no o2 sensors r catalic converters (since i bought from the dealer !
    The problem doesn't sound like its with the exhaust, sounds like a misfire.

Double check all your plugs and wires. Make sure the wires are snapped onto the coils (you should hear 2 small snaps when its all the way on) and that the boots are all the way on the plugs. Sometimes you have to push pretty damn hard to get them to click on. If you don't think it clicked, pull it off and try again.

Also make sure that the header bolts are right, and that there is no gap between the head and the manifold. Did you use stock GM gaskets?? If you used the paper ones that come with some of the headers, they tend to leak.

By saying you have "no O2 sensors", I'm assuming you mean you don't have rear O2 Sensors. The upstream primary sensors are required for the engine to run properly, you can't delete those.

You can also pull the codes from the ECU and see whats coming up. EGR/AIR codes and not having any rear O2's are a given, but if you have a misfire code, you're found the problem.

BLACK
    chevy caprice 2001

thx for the input..lol couldnt wait 4 inputs so i went n checked the car with a scan pc i donnow wat..any how the problem is solved..
    i got splitfire plugs..well screw them i went back to acdelco wires..better million times..splitfire plugs was cracked lol only 1 month old..

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

You put SplitFire plugs in your car....?
    If you want to waste more money on other BS please PM me and I have parts to sell!!!

And did you try to gap the SplitFires?
    Just so you know they don't work!!! I don't give a fu_k if you put 8 ground electrodes it will only be 1 spark!!!
    If they actually did work all racers would be using them. There is NOT anything in the rule books outlawing them.

Please let us know if you want to waste anymore money next time first.
    Last edited by LS2Tuner; 05-06-2007 at 07:54 AM.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Sounds like you have not reset your ECM to learn the newfound exhaust.
    Disconnect your positive battery terminal. Turn your key to the on position to discharge the capacitors.....leave it this way for about 10-15 minutes. Reconnect your battery and start it up...turn on the AC full blast and let it idle for a couple of minutes....it may surge up and down looking for idle....don't worry your ECM is learning....turn the AC off and let it idle for a couple more minutes....take it out and drive it normal....let us know....9 times out of ten you have fixed your problem doing this.....
    This is my signature. It is mine. Nobody else has one like it.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Your right Sarge didn't think about that.

BLACK
    chevy caprice 2001

hmm sarge i was thinkin about doing this..hmm i fixed the plugs prob..do u kno any good plugs that will handle these headers ?

another thing.. when i put it on drive the car feels bad..u hear sound like bhoooooom n everything start to shake inside the car n make annoyin sounds..if i make the ecu relearn the new setup will it stop makin noise ??

and do headers give instant power or u have to wait couple days to give thier potentail ??

thx in advance sarge

ur the MAN

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

hmm sarge i was thinkin about doing this..hmm i fixed the plugs prob..do u kno any good plugs that will handle these headers ?

another thing.. when i put it on drive the car feels bad..u hear sound like bhoooooom n everything start to shake inside the car n make annoyin sounds..if i make the ecu relearn the new setup will it stop makin noise ??

and do headers give instant power or u have to wait couple days to give thier potentail ??

thx in advance sarge

ur the MAN
    LS1? NGK TR56 is all I would run unless I was on nitrous or forced induction then I would go one step cooler with NGK TR6's.....gap either at .035-.040....
    You wont feel or realize any difference until your ECM learns what in the hell is going on...so reset the ECM first.....as for the boooom and noises....are you talking a clunk in the trannie or driveline? If your car is searching for idle then yes I would understand a clunk and shaking as your in gear and the engine is lurching and bucking trying to find idle......go reset your ECM and lets do one thing at a time....

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I run AC Delco Iridiums, they are made by NGK, so they are pretty much the same plugs as NGK Iridiums IX's. They have been excellent, they make great power and last the longest out of any plugs.

If you are running boost or nitrous though, you will need a different plug.

Look under your car. Is the exhaust (Y-pipe) hitting the floor?? Or is it close enough to hit, so that when the motor torques over, it bangs the floorboard?? If it is, you have found your problem

Most people reccommend installing poly mounts to keep the motor from moving so much. If its hitting really bad though, you will need to have an exhaust shop bend the Y-pipe down away from the floor.

They should give you a very noticeable gain in powr immediately. However, its going to take the ECU a few days to learn everything over again and adjust. In order to really take advantage of the LT headers though, you will need a tune.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 SGM
    Lid, Pro 5.0, WS6 Short Stick, LS7 Clutch, TB Bypass, Detroit TrueTrac, Poly Mounts, Bilstein Shocks, LS6 Intake, SFCs, CTS-V Brake Upgrade, STB, Nitto 555's. SS Longtube Headers and True Duals w/ H pipe and Magnaflows. Tuned by Harris Speed Works. 341.4WHP/346.1 lb/ft.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

i'm in the middle of installing my headers, i'm not sure what plugs to go with, i was thinking the Iridiums by NGK, you like em?

any bad things about em?

sorry to hijack thread..

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post
    i'm in the middle of installing my headers, i'm not sure what plugs to go with, i was thinking the Iridiums by NGK, you like em?

any bad things about em?

sorry to hijack thread..
    Your ALL motor and NO bottle???

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

yea

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

yea
    Then AC Delco Iridiums or NGK Iridiums IX's (same thing, see my above post) are perfect for your application

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

nice, glad to hear it, hopefully i'll get the whole thing wrapped up tomorrow

are there any leaks with the clamps that pacesetter gives with their ORY

is it a bitch to get it all sealed up?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Buy some band clamps (should be 3" on the pacesetter system) from your local auto parts store and use them instead. Its not cheap, but they seal much better and don't dent the pipes in like the garbage U-clamps

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

I've heard bad things about the clamps that come with pacesetters. (just today actually, on another thread). but i would think that others would be better. think of all the other cheap stuff that came with the headers... the paper gaskets, shitty extensions, possibly shitty clamps....
    1999 Trans Am M6
    SLP Short Throw, Lid and CAI, BMR STB and SFC, UMI PHB, Pacesetter LT's and ORY, Magnaflow Catback, DMH 3" E-Cutout, LS7 Clutch, Motive 4.10, 160 T-Stat, MSD, !AIR, !EGR, 17x9.5 Chrome C6's wrapped in Hankook 275/40/17

Tuned at Mongillo Motors in New Haven, CT

BLACK
    chevy caprice 2001

well i changed the plugs..reset the ecm..there is a slaight difference but there is still a vibaration..

and yes my headers hit most of the humps..i try to avoid humps as much as i can.. i believe they are hanged low..here is some pictures i hope u help me guys..hittin the ground is really frustrating..damn m i drivin a vette to hit the humps !!!

thnx guyz

BLACK
    chevy caprice 2001

hmm any one ?? is it a new problem here ?

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

hmm any one ?? is it a new problem here ?
    You are running drop springs in the front.....?
    Your ride height will effect this greatly!!

Thread Information