Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Inside tire ware on the rear.

This is a discussion on Inside tire ware on the rear. within the GTO forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Is it common for the tires to ware along the inside on the GTO's? My BMW used to do that....

  1. #1
    Junior Member The Popo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Age
    44
    Posts
    44

    Blue
    2005 Pontiac GTO

    Question Inside tire ware on the rear.

    Is it common for the tires to ware along the inside on the GTO's? My BMW used to do that.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Newnan, GA
    Posts
    139

    Cosmos Purple
    2004 Pontiac GTO

    I dont know if it's common, but when i was painting my wheels yesterday i noticed my rear tires was indeed worn on the inside. I guess a 4 wheel alignment is in order.

  3. #3
    2-Legit-2-Quit bgable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cville,Indiana
    Posts
    772

    IBM
    2006 Pontiac GTO

    its pretty common, ive seen quite a few goats with inner tire wear

  4. #4
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    Quote Originally Posted by bgable View Post
    its pretty common, ive seen quite a few goats with inner tire wear
    yup mine does too. its the nature of our suspension

  5. #5
    9.11@153.46 my first gto's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Flemington, NJ www.Rocksandracingllc.com
    Posts
    83

    Gray
    2005 GTO

    Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    yup mine does too. its the nature of our suspension
    NO Not at ALL. You Have a Bad set of Rear springs,There Sagging and Letting Your rear wheels ride on the inside of the Tire and it only gets worse. We fix this all the time at the shop.....Frank

  6. #6
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    Quote Originally Posted by my first gto View Post
    NO Not at ALL. You Have a Bad set of Rear springs,There Sagging and Letting Your rear wheels ride on the inside of the Tire and it only gets worse. We fix this all the time at the shop.....Frank
    I've been thinking of saving up for the pedders rear bushing, shocks and springs.......so you say this will fix the tire wear? lol if so I think you just sold me on the new suspension goodies

  7. #7
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    Quote Originally Posted by my first gto View Post
    NO Not at ALL. You Have a Bad set of Rear springs,There Sagging and Letting Your rear wheels ride on the inside of the Tire and it only gets worse. We fix this all the time at the shop.....Frank
    I know there are afew different alignment specs out there for our cars, is there one special set of specs you recomend? I want to keep the rear close to stock height, but drop the front down about an inch, any springs you recomend.....i don't want a cushy ride, I want rough well planted race ride and handling

  8. #8
    LSX whore allbaugh_04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,895

    Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by my first gto View Post
    NO Not at ALL. You Have a Bad set of Rear springs,There Sagging and Letting Your rear wheels ride on the inside of the Tire and it only gets worse. We fix this all the time at the shop.....Frank

    Bad rear springs already?

  9. #9
    Member GTO1_OHIO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Melbourne Beach, FL
    Posts
    588

    Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO

    Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    Bad rear springs already?
    Yep...the stock springs sag pretty quickly. I forget what the correct height is, Frank can tell you, but the thing to do is to measure from the ground to the center of each fender lip to see how much you have dropped. It's pretty common for me to to go to a large goat gathering and see how much various cars have dropped in front or back (yeah it really is that easy to spot when it isn't uniform front to back). ...then tell the owner and have them say, wow I never realized.

  10. #10
    9.11@153.46 my first gto's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Flemington, NJ www.Rocksandracingllc.com
    Posts
    83

    Gray
    2005 GTO

    Quote Originally Posted by GTO1_OHIO View Post
    Yep...the stock springs sag pretty quickly. I forget what the correct height is, Frank can tell you, but the thing to do is to measure from the ground to the center of each fender lip to see how much you have dropped. It's pretty common for me to to go to a large goat gathering and see how much various cars have dropped in front or back (yeah it really is that easy to spot when it isn't uniform front to back). ...then tell the owner and have them say, wow I never realized.
    Your 100% Right we have done over 400 GTOs in our shop and Most if Not all have Bad rear springs and Front Strut mounts......Frank

  11. #11
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    Quote Originally Posted by GTO1_OHIO View Post
    Yep...the stock springs sag pretty quickly. I forget what the correct height is, Frank can tell you, but the thing to do is to measure from the ground to the center of each fender lip to see how much you have dropped. It's pretty common for me to to go to a large goat gathering and see how much various cars have dropped in front or back (yeah it really is that easy to spot when it isn't uniform front to back). ...then tell the owner and have them say, wow I never realized.
    lol now that you guys say that....i have zero gap in the back snd maybe 2 inches in the front......now I just have to yalk her into letting me buy new goodies

  12. #12
    9.11@153.46 my first gto's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Flemington, NJ www.Rocksandracingllc.com
    Posts
    83

    Gray
    2005 GTO

    Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    lol now that you guys say that....i have zero gap in the back snd maybe 2 inches in the front......now I just have to yalk her into letting me buy new goodies
    Now pop your hood and start the car, Next look at the strut mounts as You turn your wheel lock to lock, and see how much they Move, there the big silver disc with a black cap.....Frank

  13. #13
    Member 6.0LiterImportEater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    187

    Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

    Ok this is sort of off topic but then in the line of responses.

    I'm working on my suspension set-up right now before going for power...put the power to the ground is my first priority!

    I'm going with the Koni's in the rear but still looking for recommendations for the fronts and also what springs to get. I'm not looking into lowering the car but to get better handling response.

    What do all of you think about springs and front struts/shocks?

  14. #14
    9.11@153.46 my first gto's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Flemington, NJ www.Rocksandracingllc.com
    Posts
    83

    Gray
    2005 GTO

    Quote Originally Posted by 6.0LiterImportEater View Post
    Ok this is sort of off topic but then in the line of responses.

    I'm working on my suspension set-up right now before going for power...put the power to the ground is my first priority!

    I'm going with the Koni's in the rear but still looking for recommendations for the fronts and also what springs to get. I'm not looking into lowering the car but to get better handling response.

    What do all of you think about springs and front struts/shocks?
    Why Koni's in the rear???

  15. #15
    Member 6.0LiterImportEater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    187

    Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

    From what I heard Konis are the best for the rear especially being adjustable. Don't really want drag bags since I also like to take it out for spins on backroads.

    If you have other suggestions then shoot them out! Always like hearing opinions!

  16. #16
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    I'd like recomendations too. I guess about an inch drop all around and good stiff race suspension

  17. #17
    Member JAX04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    471

    PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

    +1^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

  18. #18
    Member 6.0LiterImportEater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    187

    Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

    Mark you might want to check out the Eibach Pro Springs available for the GOAT. It lowers to vehicle but stiffens up handling. You can trust Eibach for quality components.

    What I'm interested in springs with stock height. I know Pedders carries them but is there any others out there?

    What about shocks/struts? I know we have Koni, Monroe, and Pedders. Anything else out there?

  19. #19
    Member Texas Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    675

    Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

    MFGTO, Why do the shock mounts move and is it normal. When I first got mine I had to have a 4 wheel alingment and have had no problems at all. Please tell me the story. Thanks'

  20. #20
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Jack View Post
    MFGTO, Why do the shock mounts move and is it normal. When I first got mine I had to have a 4 wheel alingment and have had no problems at all. Please tell me the story. Thanks'
    soft cheap rubber bushings from the factory on a nose heavy car

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. rear end fluid coming out of the rear tire
    By stangkillan101 in forum Drivetrain
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-24-2011, 08:42 PM
  2. Question: Oh no... Inside of tire wearing away
    By TheJudge05 in forum GTO
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-21-2010, 07:36 AM
  3. Pop ups, Spy ware, My CPU is INFECTED! HELP!!!
    By Hi-Po in forum Computers / Gaming
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-03-2009, 10:41 PM
  4. Uneven tire wear on rear tire??
    By renzo in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-20-2006, 05:30 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-19-2006, 05:39 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •