Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ignition Lock problem

This is a discussion on Ignition Lock problem within the GTO forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I had the same problem today with my key not being able to turn after a hot day in the ...

Silver
    2004 GTO

I had the same problem today with my key not being able to turn after a hot day in the sun. Warranty just ran out a few thousand miles ago. What is the procedure for applying the WD-40 technique?

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Just use the straw that comes with it, put it in the hole and spray the snot out of it. No tricky procedure just keep spraying until you stop seeing the shavings fall out. Then try it again.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by TRAHY GTO View Post
    I had the same problem today with my key not being able to turn after a hot day in the sun. Warranty just ran out a few thousand miles ago. What is the procedure for applying the WD-40 technique?
    do what slims said but hold a couple of paper towels over the key hole so you dont get sprayback and you can catch any that runs back out

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

another one of GMs make something simple way to complicated .. I have also read some of the Bigger trucks , GMC, was having the same problem... Why cant we have a normal key and a security switch .....

Silver
    2004 GTO

Thumbs up WD-40 Work Again!

The WD-40 method worked for me as well!! Thanks for the advice! Saved me a $70 tow and probably a front bumper as well. What is the best lubricant to shoot in there to hopefully help it more long term. Sounds like if I replace it it will just happen again anyhow?

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

If It was dry, graphite is probably the best. Don't spray it in there with the WD-40 though it will probably gunk up and do the same. Most locksmiths use it. I 3N1'd mine the day afterwards no problems since. The whole problem is because of some lame Idea to use a grease for a key lube. Glad you got it fixed.
    Last edited by slims00ls1z28; 06-07-2008 at 11:16 AM.

Red
    '04 GTO

BEWARE the STEALERSHIP!

Hello every one! Just joined the forum & wanted to Thank each & every one of you for your help yesterday!
    My trouble began Friday. I got in my car to go pay & pick up my Hubby's truck from having the drive shaft put back in, when wham, my key will not turn in my GTO. Great! I've had it since Jan '08, 19,000 miles on it. Hubby & I talk to 3 different service dept people that day, all of which says it's a security problem. We have to get it up there to get it fixed... okay, I'll put it on my back & tote it on my back & be there in 5. Duh! The damn key won't turn. Towing it is really something I didn't wanna try without being able to take the car outta gear, but there's really not an option right? So, my dear father-in-law brings his roll-back to take my car to the "STEALERSHIP" as I have heard them called.
    They called us yesterday to say that it's the ignition switch gone bad, and that we HAVE to HAVE a whole brand new steering column replaced, $1500. WTF?!?!?!?! For a freakin' switch??? We proceeded to another dealer, outta town for a 2nd opinion. They looked it up & said you can buy the individual part (ignition switch) by itself, so if you can do that, why in the Hell are the other folks trying to tell me we HAVE to have a new column, that there is NO other way to change it out?
    After a pretty crappy day tryin' to figure out where we were just gonna get $1500, I looked online & found you guys here. Read the Success stories with the WD-40, 3-in-1 oil, & compressed air. I read it to hubby & he says let's go to Wally World. So off we go. We purchase all the materials needed & then off to the Stealership my car is located at. We "sprayed the snot out of it", as one person said it here, and within 6 minutes had my ignition switch unlocked. Car started & I drove it home. Sitting in driveway now.
    If I understand correctly, the reason the Stealership was going to try to charge for a whole new column was because if the key won't turn, they have to break it to get the thing changed. I can see that, but it really pisses my hubby & I both off that we were told we HAD to have a new steering column. I mean, if there's a way to TRY to get the dang thing unlocked so you don't have to buy & replace the whole thing, why didn't they tell us that? They never said anything as far as explaining why they were going to have to change the whole thing (because of the key not turning), they just said there was no other way, this is what it is & we are screwing you! Basically!
    So..... here we are, keeping it lubed with the Lithium grease until tomorrow when we can get it to the shop to have the switch only replaced, $70 plus labor. Far cry from $1500!
    It's been a pain in the ass to have to deal with this problem but

WD-40
    A can of compressed air
    3-in-1 oil
    and 6 minutes of time
    $15

Getting to tell the "Stealership" to FO and not getting a damn dime from me......... PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by rn2008; 06-11-2008 at 12:10 PM.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Heh glad to help. I worded the title to make it easier on a yahoo/google search. Low and behold it's the first 2 to pop up. For such a common problem I'm baffled why dealers haven't figgured this out. Nevermind I know now they get more money breaking the column than they would this.

When you replace the switch have them clean the factory grease out of it and use a different lubrication. Several of the ones who just replaced the ignition had the problem reocur later, one guy said he had his replaced 5 times.
    Last edited by slims00ls1z28; 06-10-2008 at 11:45 PM.

Red
    '04 GTO

Wink

Hello again!

Had my switch replaced today finally. $292 total.... lots better than the $1500 the other dealership was trying to get out of us last week. Anyway... my hubby has been in contact with someone at GM directly about this switch problem. Apparently there hasn't been enough people making their complaints known. Please.... EVERY ONE with this problem... PLEASE call 1-866-740-5600 Ext 12350 & let them know you have had problems with the switch locking up, what dealer you took it to (so they can verify it), and if they get enough "verifications" that people are having to have the switches replaced, they will isue a recall on them. I don't know if this will really work or not, but it is definately worth a try!!!! It never hurts to try.

Black
    1987 Buick Grand National

I had this happen to mine last week. I have 43,xxx miles on the car. I was referred to a locksmith in the St. Louis area that was aware of the problem. He had fixed some other GTO's around the area before and said the Cadillac Catera had the same problem. Anyway came and fixed it for about $120 and works fine now!

Blue
    05 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by slims00ls1z28 View Post
    Well, the other day I was working on a co-workers car at work....
    $4 for WD-40
    $3 for Compressed air
    $2 for 3-in-1 Oil
    -$1,500 to Dealer

The grin on my face after following your directions on cleaning out the key slot:

PRICELESS

...Can't thank you folks enough for saving my butt...

I'm a newbie and sure I will enjoy the discussions and resources I'll find here in the LS1 Community...

Again - THANKS FOR SAVING MY BEER MONEY!!!
    Last edited by Route2Raider; 08-07-2008 at 08:19 AM.

Blue
    05 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by rn2008 View Post
    It's been a pain in the ass to have to deal with this problem but

WD-40
    A can of compressed air
    3-in-1 oil
    and 6 minutes of time
    $15

Getting to tell the "Stealership" to FO and not getting a damn dime from me......... PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    like minds think alike - I was thinking the same thing - this is friggin Priceless!

I spent about 20 minutes on it - didn't give up, saved a ton of $$$

This is an excellent resource.

Thanks Folks!

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Glad to help!

Red
    '04 GTO

Glad to have helped!

So glad my directions worked for you!

Pulse Red
    2004 GTO M6

I had this problem today, struggles for about 30-45 minutes to get it come un-stuck finally took the bike to work. Here is what I found on the other site to fix it, I have not found anything on here. Who knows maybe I did not search enough on here to find it, but I hope this helps some of us. I am still at work so I have not tried it yet but seems like this has helped alot of people. They also have a new version of the part that just came out but seems like it is hard to come by.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...light=ignition

Red
    '04 GTO

Cool Not meant for permanent fix..........

Quote Originally Posted by VTXrider View Post
    I had this problem today, struggles for about 30-45 minutes to get it come un-stuck finally took the bike to work. Here is what I found on the other site to fix it, I have not found anything on here. Who knows maybe I did not search enough on here to find it, but I hope this helps some of us. I am still at work so I have not tried it yet but seems like this has helped alot of people. They also have a new version of the part that just came out but seems like it is hard to come by.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...light=ignition

HI there VTXrider.... just wanted to clarify that the directions mentioned on here were probably never meant for permanent fix, I mean almost every one here that has used this method for "unlocking" their switch by this method has had their swith replaced soon afterwards. The reason in doing the method this way is so we are not charged $1500 from the dealerships for them breaking our steering columns to get our switches out because with them "locked" that's the only way to replace it. If you can get the switch "unlocked" you can get just the switch replaced, I know I have had it done, parts & labor were only $292 total versus $1500 the dealership was going to charge for breaking my column because in their own words " we can't get the switch out without breaking the column when it's locked."

I'm very grateful for the guys here & their info... this GIRL LOVES her GTO!!!!

Pulse Red
    2004 GTO M6

Thanks RN,

Actually I am was posting the other boards home fix which is to machine the lock cylinder that is currently in the car or conversly instructions on how to change it your self.

I am hoping to do this this weekend, My lock is currently getting stuck every time I get in the car. I have found that the hammer tap method is working very good to get me going. I need to get this fixed soon though because I am embarrassed to let anyone in my car and see me tapping the key with a hammer to get it to turn.

Hopefully all goes well and I can fix it this weekend.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LinkBacks (?)

1. 06-09-2012, 07:29 PM

Thread Information