Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

silver and black

Idle Problem...any ideas?

I am having an issue with my idle. sometimes when I approach and stop at a light, the rpms will drop to low. It will then surge back up then drop. Ultimately it dies. Also at cold start I have to actualy give it a lil gas to keep the RPM's up for a few seconds then I can slowly let off and it will idle fine.

I keep getting a code that states there is a mass air flow sensor problem. Its wierd though, The light does not come on unless I am cruising 75 or so for at least 20-25 miles. Then after a while it goes out, only to come back on again later. Sometimes it will even go days before it comes back on.

I thought it may be the air filter, I have the K&N FIPK set up. I cleaned the filter and recharged it. After I did so the start up was great Idle at lights was great no surge. it then slooowlyy began doing the same thing again. I thought I may have sprayed to much oil, again i cleaned it and put way less back on. The same results again occurred

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Have you cleaned out the MAF at all?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Did you get the actual code from the computer? If so, post it. It might help someone steer you on the right path. I would start with what cammed stated though.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Before I had my car tuned, my tuner took one look at my K&N and suggested I clean the filter and buy MAF cleaner. I went and bought a can of CRC MAF cleaner and took out my filter and MAF. I already have the recharge kit so I cleaned the filter and while the filter was drying I sprayed the MAF and the fluid that came out was dark gray.

Your MAF screen and needle should be silver and NOT dull gray.

I put everything back together a few hours later and fired the car up and everything was smooth, well, except for the cam lope, haha.

Hopefully this helps.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

I would lean towards that Garbage K&N filter... Throw it in the trash, buy a cheap fram filter and Get some Maf cleaner and clean your maf and throttle body, also clean your IAC motor..
    Should fix all you idle and code issues...
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I am thinking about getting an AEM DryFlow filter. No oil to get into the MAF. I can't seem to find a DryFlow filter that can use the velocity stack from the K&N.

Or an Aussie OTRCAI which I have given thought to as well.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Anything is an upgrade from a K&N anything, i mean there setups are decent but the filters arent...
    J

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Yah. I'm kinda getting tired of seeing my filter turn grey a day after I clean/oil it. OTRCAI is on the future mod list next to the catch can.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

This is the OTRCAI I am looking at. Reuses the MAF and is a straight route for incoming air like a 4th gen.

http://cgi.ebay.com/OTR-COLD-AIR-INT...item2a011d00c7

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO

I've had this exact thing happen ... several times. The main thing is that you're not getting enough air. When you give it more gas you're actually opening the TB blade and letting more air in so it doesn't stall.

So why? Either it's a real MAF issue or just a bad tune, or you're losing intake pressure (I had this problem with my FAST where a connection was too loose.), or the TB screw needs to be adjusted (I've had this problem too ...where the screw had back itself out). It's not always a MAF issue itself.
    Last edited by GTO1_OHIO; 12-09-2009 at 06:49 AM.

Pulse Red
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    This is the OTRCAI I am looking at. Reuses the MAF and is a straight route for incoming air like a 4th gen.

http://cgi.ebay.com/OTR-COLD-AIR-INT...item2a011d00c7
    Looks good, if you get it we are waiting for a review!

silver and black

Yea.. I Cleaned the Maf everytime I cleaned the filter. Everytime I cleaned it runs great for two or three days then back downhill it goes. Maybe Ill try a amsoil filter or something. gotta do something its getting old trying to fight with it!! Thanks for the help!

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

Did you d-screen the maf, that will cause a problem? The maf is like every one said very touchy, my K&N has never giving me a problem { knock on wood}. Try a little trick I know and when it is giving you a problem take something like a pocket knife and softly tap the maf and see if makes a difference, also when it is running OK try the same thing and see if it starts screwing up. I know it sounds dumb but it works, one of my buddies is a GM tec and uses this and I have seen it rat out a bad maf. Good Luck

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

Damn Cammed, That is a nice looking peice {Otrcia}, too bad the rest of the covers don't come with it, but I bet you could make your own and they don't show it will work for the 06 but I don't see why not, I like!!!

Black
    2004 GTO

hummmm.. wonder if it cold be the 02 sensors..i had a problem with my idle...but mine was throwing black moke througt the mufflers.the wierd thing is that it kept givind a code aout the maf...wierd..but everyhting on the maf checked out good..so i chaned my 02s...and now works perfect...mpg went up...and idlel is perfect..

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

^^^^^ That makes sense also, maybe a bad connection or the unit all toghether.

Black
    2004 Monaro

Check that your Air Intake Sensor hasn't been dislodged - as this can cause idling & surging problems.
    Also check all of the vacuum hose connections around the throttle body area - they tend to perish/ crack & cause rough running.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Do you have access to a good scanner, ie HPT or EFI live? Something to be able to watch the IAC counts. My car had an idle problem and my IAC counts were dropping to zero after it reached running temp. After getting the counts into an acceptable range ( I think 60ish) the car idled much better.
    370 CI - Twin 6766 Turbo - Jakes stage 5 4L80E - MWC 9" - Holley Dominator

Build in progress...

doesn'tplaywellwithothers superchargedblackgto's Avatar

Black
    2004 GTO

when I had my Fast throttle body, it would get dirty and cause the rpms to jump up and down, I would clean it off and it would run great. After I installed the methanol system it got rid of the problem, However that is because it is spraying meth on the TB and keeping it clean. Maybe that will help.
    Brad

Qucik Silver Metalic
    2004 GTO - M6

no need to clean the filter again, that re-oiled everything, clean the maf and air intake sensor and button everything up again. Make sure the wires on the maf are not busted. look for pic of one on the net to verify.

Thread Information