IBM
    2006 Pontiac GTO

IAT Relocate cause detonation?

I was recently told that the IAT Relocation kits can cause detonation do to the false reading of intake temperatures? Anybody know or heard about this?
    2006 IBM GTO A4
    20% sides/rear 35% Windshield,SAP Repos,Ruff 278s Staggered 18s,LT's,Catless mids,Spintech Mufflers/X pipe,Torquer v.2,Vig3200 Stall,HPTuned,AEM CAI,SLP Thermostat,IAT relocate,BMR Drag bags, P4000DVD HU.

2000 TA WS6 NBM A4 Full Bolt-Ons-Gone

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I can see where it would be possible....but only under extreme ambient temps and your IAT be telling the ECM it is much cooler....

IBM
    2006 Pontiac GTO

so you think it's safe to leave it on there sarge? I live in Indiana so it doesn't get to hot and do you have yours relocated?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Where did you relocate it to? I can't see it causing a problem as long as it's reading ambient temps or close to ambient. That's what you want anyhow.

IBM
    2006 Pontiac GTO

It's in the area behind the driver side headlight

2 badass birds

RED/black
    97ws6/05 GTO

just leave it where it belongs and get hp tuners and do what you like with the tune.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Your fine with it there...I run a SD tune and have my IAT located next to the CAI filter behind the "box"....

Junior Member east TX muscle cars's Avatar

orange
    2005 corvette 2004 gto

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Where did you relocate it to? I can't see it causing a problem as long as it's reading ambient temps or close to ambient. That's what you want anyhow.
    actually thats not what you want, the computer uses the TEMP of the air that is "IN the intake" to calculate how much timing is needed to make sure you do not DETONATE. you can pull the IAT out of your 05-06 but make sure you put the new sensor in the intake tube still. the problem with the IAT on the GTO is that it is in the MAF and gets hotter that what the air actually is. just locate it as close to the TB as you can and tune with HP tuners(or other) and get the IAT tables set right so you dont get DET. pulling it out of the intake tube in a big nono

TURBOS,NITROUS,HAND PORTING OF HEADS,SUPERCHARGERS, heads and cams, DYNO TUINING.
    www.easttexasmusclecars.com

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by east TX muscle cars View Post
    actually thats not what you want, the computer uses the TEMP of the air that is "IN the intake" to calculate how much timing is needed to make sure you do not DETONATE. you can pull the IAT out of your 05-06 but make sure you put the new sensor in the intake tube still. the problem with the IAT on the GTO is that it is in the MAF and gets hotter that what the air actually is. just locate it as close to the TB as you can and tune with HP tuners(or other) and get the IAT tables set right so you dont get DET. pulling it out of the intake tube in a big nono
    how long is the air actually in the intake tract under acceleration? I mean that's what we're talking about here, timing being pulled under load do to false IAT readings( IAT base correction starts at .32 g/cyl @86 degrees F). The main source of heatsoak for the IAT is the radiator which is right below the MAF. If you relocate the IAT I would move it away from that radiator. I do see how there's a factor of stagnant air vs air moving across it in the intake tract and that would be the only reason I can see for keeping it in the intake tract. I still say the bottom line is you'll be more accurate once the IAT is away from the radiator. Then you tune for that but you do want ambient air because under load that's what is actually going into the engine.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by bgable View Post
    I was recently told that the IAT Relocation kits can cause detonation do to the false reading of intake temperatures? Anybody know or heard about this?
    take the stock one and throw it away they are slow peices of crap,go to napa buy a AIT,and get the plug they have for it wire it into you stock harness,works great ,I have mine right after the intercooler,ran it for two years now,the 05-06 have alot of problems with the heat soak in the summer heat...best thing you can do is move it and get a tune. here is mine
    Last edited by qwkgto; 01-08-2009 at 07:38 PM.
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

IBM
    2006 Pontiac GTO

it's tuned also I was just wondering if If I should take it off I mean I've seen a lot of people run it and haven't heard of anything till now so...

Junior Member east TX muscle cars's Avatar

orange
    2005 corvette 2004 gto

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    how long is the air actually in the intake tract under acceleration? I mean that's what we're talking about here, timing being pulled under load do to false IAT readings( IAT base correction starts at .32 g/cyl @86 degrees F). The main source of heatsoak for the IAT is the radiator which is right below the MAF. If you relocate the IAT I would move it away from that radiator. I do see how there's a factor of stagnant air vs air moving across it in the intake tract and that would be the only reason I can see for keeping it in the intake tract. I still say the bottom line is you'll be more accurate once the IAT is away from the radiator. Then you tune for that but you do want ambient air because under load that's what is actually going into the engine.
    it heats up as it goes through the intake tube. i always put the sensor on the back side of the tube somewhere. you can do what you want, but thats how we do it. Just not to smart to read the cold air. AT the least put the IAT in the air filter

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Where can I get the relocation kit? I have been wanting to do that mod for a while

IBM
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Vector Motorsports does but it is over priced and you can also make one yourself
    Last edited by bgable; 01-03-2009 at 09:49 PM.

Thread Information