Results 1 to 14 of 14

I NEED a CAM!!!

This is a discussion on I NEED a CAM!!! within the GTO forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I heard that a CAM for a GTO will really increase HP in the car..I have a 2004 LS1 GTO, ...

  1. #1
    Member pmolina0436's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    528

    Black
    2004 GTO

    I NEED a CAM!!!

    I heard that a CAM for a GTO will really increase HP in the car..I have a 2004 LS1 GTO, currently with LT headers,CAI,NGK 10mm wires,Full exhaust w/magnaflow x-pipe, oh yea and a custon TUNE from a Diablo Predator Tuner. I want to get a CAM but have no idea what kind,or what is the best deal out there now. Well if anyone can give me any TIPS will help alot.

  2. #2
    I went to Playboy Mansion FantaZGuy28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bakersfield/Long Beach Ca
    Age
    31
    Posts
    888

    YJ
    04 GTO M6

    TR224 or 228 are good size cams. If you go too big with the cam size and dont plan on doing heads your not going to see the numbers your expecting.

  3. #3
    Member pmolina0436's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    528

    Black
    2004 GTO

    Quote Originally Posted by FantaZGuy28 View Post
    TR224 or 228 are good size cams. If you go too big with the cam size and dont plan on doing heads your not going to see the numbers your expecting.
    Yea..well i not planning to do much more to my car..Maybe a bigger intake manifold, and TB..thanks for the post..

  4. #4
    Nitrous Tuner LS2Tuner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    WestCoast AZ-CALI
    Posts
    4,763

    Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

    Yeah Don't buy ANY off the shelf cam from other opinions!

    I would call Cam Motion up and get a custom ground cam specifically designed for YOUR application and needs. For the cost difference it's pointless not to.

    If you want to hear another opinion on this from another tuner call or email Frost on this same matter and he will tell you the same thing.

    http://www.cammotion.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=56

    Phone: +1 (225) 926-6110
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

  5. #5
    Member blk-ws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    156
    Sorry to hijack, but would a cam with these specs be too much for a DD? 243.5/249.5 .613/.618 110.8LSA

  6. #6
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    Yeah Don't buy ANY off the shelf cam from other opinions!

    I would call Cam Motion up and get a custom ground cam specifically designed for YOUR application and needs. For the cost difference it's pointless not to.

    If you want to hear another opinion on this from another tuner call or email Frost on this same matter and he will tell you the same thing.

    http://www.cammotion.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=56

    Phone: +1 (225) 926-6110
    Yup^^^^^

  7. #7
    Senior Member qwkgto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    OHIO"S only 9 second GTO
    Posts
    1,464

    Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

    I agree with those guys,get one for what you want to do with car,if you miss match it,thats a lot of waisted time and money.hell im still running the stock ls2 cam and have went 133mph in 1320 feet.with my turbo setup,(just to point out the importance of matched up stuff!)

  8. #8
    Member pmolina0436's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    528

    Black
    2004 GTO

    turbo?

    Quote Originally Posted by qwkgto View Post
    I agree with those guys,get one for what you want to do with car,if you miss match it,thats a lot of waisted time and money.hell im still running the stock ls2 cam and have went 133mph in 1320 feet.with my turbo setup,(just to point out the importance of matched up stuff!)
    What kind of turbo setup do you have??How much was the setup? thanks

  9. #9
    Junior Member Kamarobuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Amarillo, Tx
    Age
    31
    Posts
    31

    Blue
    1999 Camaro Z-28

    bump to call cam motion and have them match one for you app.

  10. #10
    Member JAX04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    471

    PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

    Quote Originally Posted by blk-ws6 View Post
    Sorry to hijack, but would a cam with these specs be too much for a DD? 243.5/249.5 .613/.618 110.8LSA
    that my friend is a HUGE CAM! don buy that cam. unstreetable. IMO, and youll need heads to really see the potential

  11. #11
    Member JAX04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    471

    PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

    Quote Originally Posted by pmolina0436 View Post
    What kind of turbo setup do you have??How much was the setup? thanks
    he built a custom twin rear mount. here is the link, this is the kit he made, but sold it to someone else.newest twin turbo GTO

  12. #12
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    Quote Originally Posted by JAX04 View Post
    that my friend is a HUGE CAM! don buy that cam. unstreetable. IMO, and youll need heads to really see the potential
    its amazing the difference between two peoples idea of streetable isn't it lol.
    I wouldn't mind going with a 24x/24x in a year or two when my goat is a striped down race car/ weekend toy........but I couldn't imagine driving a car with that big a cam every day.....specially with an a4 in a heavy street car......4,600+ stall?

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    222

    Impulse Blue
    2004 GTO

    I've had a few cams in mine over the years. Started small with a LPE GT2-3 and it worked great for a cam that nobody would ever know that was in there. Sounds completely stock but with much more power. Then went bigger with a Comp 228/232. Made a lot more power but low speed suffered. Now I'm running a FTI 220/224 and am extremely happy. Makes more torque and just a little less HP at the high end. Run just as fast and get better mpg to boot! Great all around baby cam that will surprise a lot of the bigger cams out there.

    Figure out what your goals are and then get a cam that fits those goals.
    Rob
    04 GTO
    96 WS6

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    groves TX
    Posts
    36
    I have a comp xfi/xer 230/234 .612 .598 111+3, springs, pushrods, timing chain, and bolt gasket kit for sale if your intrested

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •