Thread: I NEED a CAM!!!

Black
    2004 GTO

I NEED a CAM!!!

I heard that a CAM for a GTO will really increase HP in the car..I have a 2004 LS1 GTO, currently with LT headers,CAI,NGK 10mm wires,Full exhaust w/magnaflow x-pipe, oh yea and a custon TUNE from a Diablo Predator Tuner. I want to get a CAM but have no idea what kind,or what is the best deal out there now. Well if anyone can give me any TIPS will help alot.

I went to Playboy Mansion FantaZGuy28's Avatar

YJ
    04 GTO M6

TR224 or 228 are good size cams. If you go too big with the cam size and dont plan on doing heads your not going to see the numbers your expecting.

Black
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by FantaZGuy28 View Post
    TR224 or 228 are good size cams. If you go too big with the cam size and dont plan on doing heads your not going to see the numbers your expecting.
    Yea..well i not planning to do much more to my car..Maybe a bigger intake manifold, and TB..thanks for the post..

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Yeah Don't buy ANY off the shelf cam from other opinions!

I would call Cam Motion up and get a custom ground cam specifically designed for YOUR application and needs. For the cost difference it's pointless not to.

If you want to hear another opinion on this from another tuner call or email Frost on this same matter and he will tell you the same thing.

http://www.cammotion.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=56

Phone: +1 (225) 926-6110
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Sorry to hijack, but would a cam with these specs be too much for a DD? 243.5/249.5 .613/.618 110.8LSA

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    Yeah Don't buy ANY off the shelf cam from other opinions!

I would call Cam Motion up and get a custom ground cam specifically designed for YOUR application and needs. For the cost difference it's pointless not to.

If you want to hear another opinion on this from another tuner call or email Frost on this same matter and he will tell you the same thing.

http://www.cammotion.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=56

Phone: +1 (225) 926-6110
    Yup^^^^^

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

I agree with those guys,get one for what you want to do with car,if you miss match it,thats a lot of waisted time and money.hell im still running the stock ls2 cam and have went 133mph in 1320 feet.with my turbo setup,(just to point out the importance of matched up stuff!)

Black
    2004 GTO

turbo?

Quote Originally Posted by qwkgto View Post
    I agree with those guys,get one for what you want to do with car,if you miss match it,thats a lot of waisted time and money.hell im still running the stock ls2 cam and have went 133mph in 1320 feet.with my turbo setup,(just to point out the importance of matched up stuff!)
    What kind of turbo setup do you have??How much was the setup? thanks

Blue
    1999 Camaro Z-28

bump to call cam motion and have them match one for you app.

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

Quote Originally Posted by blk-ws6 View Post
    Sorry to hijack, but would a cam with these specs be too much for a DD? 243.5/249.5 .613/.618 110.8LSA
    that my friend is a HUGE CAM! don buy that cam. unstreetable. IMO, and youll need heads to really see the potential

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

Quote Originally Posted by pmolina0436 View Post
    What kind of turbo setup do you have??How much was the setup? thanks
    he built a custom twin rear mount. here is the link, this is the kit he made, but sold it to someone else.http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115015

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by JAX04 View Post
    that my friend is a HUGE CAM! don buy that cam. unstreetable. IMO, and youll need heads to really see the potential
    its amazing the difference between two peoples idea of streetable isn't it lol.
    I wouldn't mind going with a 24x/24x in a year or two when my goat is a striped down race car/ weekend toy........but I couldn't imagine driving a car with that big a cam every day.....specially with an a4 in a heavy street car......4,600+ stall?

Impulse Blue
    2004 GTO

I've had a few cams in mine over the years. Started small with a LPE GT2-3 and it worked great for a cam that nobody would ever know that was in there. Sounds completely stock but with much more power. Then went bigger with a Comp 228/232. Made a lot more power but low speed suffered. Now I'm running a FTI 220/224 and am extremely happy. Makes more torque and just a little less HP at the high end. Run just as fast and get better mpg to boot! Great all around baby cam that will surprise a lot of the bigger cams out there.

Figure out what your goals are and then get a cam that fits those goals.
    Rob
    04 GTO
    96 WS6

I have a comp xfi/xer 230/234 .612 .598 111+3, springs, pushrods, timing chain, and bolt gasket kit for sale if your intrested

Thread Information