Thread: high flow cats

phantom black
    06 gto

high flow cats

my cats are shot.im thinking about putting in a set of magnaflow high flow cats.good idea??and why is it so much cheaper it goin that route then goin and grabbing the stock ones again? I was originally thinkin bout just getting rid of them all together but i dont know how get rid of the rear o2s

NBM
    2000 Trans Am Ws6 #2946

What makes you think your stock ones are shot? I'm curious, I have that suspiscion about mine due to smell, but I'm not sure how to tell.
    2000 WS6 TA #2946 - A4, Best 1/4: 12.5s @111mph.
    SLP LTs, 228r Cam, SY 3500, Shift kit, LS6 intake, underdrive pulleys, lid, p&p TB, Borla w/ cutout, Pro-kit springs, poly all around, Hotchkis suspension, 3.90 gears, tuned.

phantom black
    06 gto

CEL light came on i had it checked and my answer was cats. also i dont know if it has to do with the cats but my exhaust on startup has been pretty violent

hugger orange

The hi-flow cats have less plates in them so even new and working the way they should, they can still throw the insufficient catalyst code...if you plan on getting them saveup money to get a tune and have the codes deleted so they won't come on again.
    Biggest reason for the lower price is because they are universal and not a direct fit, so you would need to do some pipe cutting and welding.
    Or you could hollow your stock ones out, get a tune and save the money you would have spent on the cats.

The stock cats are the triangle shaped boxes, then there is a resonator behind the cat that "looks" like a standard older style cat

phantom black
    06 gto

thanx mark.can i delete these codes with a predator or do i have to get a custome tune no matter what route i go?if i hollow them out i would still have to delete the rear o2s correct?

Impulse Blue
    2004 Pontiac GTO

i just went with jba catless mids and they sound awsome. the older preditor tuner was able to turn off codes for good but my newer one does not. you can clear the codes but they will return. my buddies older one turned his off for good. i'm trying to find out how i can get my codes off for good also. there might be a way to fool them by putting somthing on the o2's. i read that somewhere but have to find the thread. i know hp tuners can but that is big bucks.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Yah. HPT is alot of moolah. Save up and get the rear O2s tuned out. No more codes.

Black
    2004 GTO

I would try to turn them off with your predator, the one that I have will. You are right about deleting your rear o2s if you gut your cats. That will set codes right away.

Sunset metallic orange
    '01 Camaro SS

Hey guys just so yous know when I tried to turn them off my passenger side blew out completely so id advise to keep them on dude or looking for some new o2's and they my friend are expensive like 80 per one and you have 4. I didnt mess with mine either cuz I'm afraid to I just clicked slp tune o2's off and from then on the o2's closest to the rear went and both my high flo cats failed idk y I only clicked off so... I'm just saying def. Read up on it before you do it I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The sound of your piss hitting the urinal.......yea it sounds feminine!

phantom black
    06 gto

is a possitve or maybe that the high flow cats will throw codes? i was gonna get a tune anyway buy will they tune me with the CEL on for no cats? ive never dealt with tunes before so i have no clue.just trying to get an solution as this all for my inspection lol kinda funny doin all the "wrong things" to pass eh?

IBM
    04 GTO

Do you have to pass the sniffer??? I've herd stories of High flow cats not passing. If not an all your worried about is a CEL light just call up FROST and get the rears tuned out.

Impulse Blue
    2004 Pontiac GTO

there's a setting on your preditor that sets the temp settings on your o2's. by turning the temp all the way up your computer won't try to cool them with fuel. thats probably why your cats and o2's went bad . well i have no cats maybe the same with the high flows?

phantom black
    06 gto

well got rid of my cats today. ill be getting a tune later this week. cant wait to see the results of the tune. im pretty damn loud now with no cats and no mufflers i hope the coppers dont get any ideas

IBM
    04 GTO

I'm running long tubes, no cats and the slp loudmouth 1 it's just the way I like it. I did get a compliment from a chief of police (He's family) That liked they way it sounded.
    Last edited by derbs; 11-06-2010 at 07:33 PM.

phantom black
    06 gto

hey derbs still got the resonators in there?? i was thinkin bout takin that out too considerin i lack the rest of an exhuast system lol

IBM
    04 GTO

Yea I still the shot gun mufflers.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Some high flow cats will set off the rear 02 sensor codes and some won't. Best to have them tuned out if not place like ws6store.com and other sell plug in 02 sims to get rid of the light. I have my rears tuned out since I have lt's and a ory but I am waiting to see what it sound like monday with it's new cam. I may weld in some magnaflow bullet cats like kooks uses on their ypipe.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Sunset metallic orange
    '01 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Roman nj. View Post
    there's a setting on your preditor that sets the temp settings on your o2's. by turning the temp all the way up your computer won't try to cool them with fuel. thats probably why your cats and o2's went bad . well i have no cats maybe the same with the high flows?
    Ahh yes good call cuz now that I remember it was set to 1085*c I think so that's prolly pretty hot right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Impulse Blue
    2004 Pontiac GTO

yea pretty hot. i think it goes up to like 1200 max. your cats probably burnt. you wouldn't think they would use fuel for cooling.

Thread Information