Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HELLLPPPP!!!!! (please,lol) problems with the hvac

So I have a little problem that is going to turn into a big problem because i am moving to florida where i will need my ac,lol. So the other day I was messing around and accidentally pulled 3 plugs from under the dash and i could hear the some air leaking out and then it stopped. i was like wtf was that?!?! it turns out that those plugs control my vent modes (feet, front defrost etc) does anyone know about this??like where do they plug in at?? It is a green white and black plug.

Thanks alot for the help. I really appreciate it

La Viente

and its an 04 M6 gto just incase that helps,lol

Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Could you be more specific?

This a Delphi HVAC system that was designed and built in Luxembourg. I was an HVAC Product Engineer for Delphi in Lockport, NY.

What plugs?

There are valves inside the HVAC 'box' that control airflow distribution to the different areas. These valves are controlled by electric actuators where the signal is sent from control knob.

I cannot think of anything that would release a gas except if you broke the a/c lines. They havent used vacuum (from the engine) actuators to control the valves for automotive HVAC since the 70's.

Do you have any control of the fan (Hi - Med - Lo)? You might have unplugged the resistor for the blower motor if it is an electrical plug.

The only other thing I can think of is you unplugged the wire harness for the control of the valves. Now I have no idea where they would be in terms of in the dash but you could ask for a blown up assembly drawing of the HVAC from a dealer.

that sounds like what it would be called, a control harness. I can control the speed that the air comes out(hi, med low), but i cant control where it comes out at. its stuck coming out of the dash(defrost) i can turn the knob to "feet,front,feet/front, but it still comes out of the dash. I guess I shouldnt have said "wires". sorry about that. they are more like vacuum lines that have something to do with where the air is disbursed

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Have you reconnected the harness?

not yet. i dont know where the harness plugs go if we are talking about the same thing. ill take a pic when i get the chance and upload it on here

Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by laviente View Post
    that sounds like what it would be called, a control harness. I can control the speed that the air comes out(hi, med low), but i cant control where it comes out at. its stuck coming out of the dash(defrost) i can turn the knob to "feet,front,feet/front, but it still comes out of the dash. I guess I shouldnt have said "wires". sorry about that. they are more like vacuum lines that have something to do with where the air is disbursed
    You need pictures cause this was my product line for over 2 years and you have me stumped!!

There are no 'vacuum' lines for your HVAC...period. Airflow is distributed through ducts that sit under the top part of your dash. This is controlled by valves that are electrically actuated in our case but sometimes are mechaniclly through push-pull cables for low end vehicles.

I'm not even sure that really any HVAC items are in visible sight except the blower motor resistor due to the serviceability required for that item. The HVAC unit is the FIRST thing to be assembled in the car for the interior since it is usually bolted to the frame brace. Most cars you have to remove the steering column along with the whole dash to get it out.

I'm quite sure you disrutpted the circuit for the actuators that control valve movement. You need to find where the plug in to complete the circuit. Make sure that the control knob lines up when you do it or your controls will be out of wack.

Sometimes on your higher end vehicles you have thermocouples or static pressure gauges that plug into the HVAC unit to determine travel of the valves. When the motors are told to turn these devices verify when air/temp is received in each area of the HVAC unit which in turn tells the motors to turn off when the flow/temp is achieved in the areas selectively desired.

this is what the plugs look like

and this is where they lead to

This is located right next to the gas pedal pretty much behind the radio

Hope this helps a little. like i said. when i pulled them out I could hear air leaking. almost like it was a vacuum line or someting

Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Those are electrical wires. They have the clear plastic boots around them cause they are next to the HVAC unit which will collect condensation/moisture when you run the A/C.

Definately actuator (LINBUS) wires since the white is power, black is ground, and green is control.

Now where do they connect? Beats me! The wires have some length so you could have grabbed the longer part and pulled the connections from farther back.

Best bet is to pull the radio out and see if you can find the source through there...if that doesnt work then your going to have a blast taking your dash apart.

womp womp womp woooommmmpppppppp. this sucks

oh, and thanks again. i really appreciate your help a bunch... off to tear up the radio,lol

Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Good luck and hopefully its right behind the radio!

I don't understand why those wires are even in that area but then again our HVAC unit was designed and manufactured in Luxembourg. Same company but man they did things so much different than we did haha.

Black
    2004 GTO

Are you sure those are not vacuum lines. They look like it to me.

Black
    2004 GTO

Im pretty sure our HVAC vent control is controled by vacuum

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

lav, They are vacume lines, that is why you hear air, that silver canister is what one of the vacume lines attach to for the heater mode I believe. Don't know what goes to what but maybe someone can help with that. Good Luck BTW the vacume leak will make your engine light come on and it will idle rough

cool tx jack. imma see what i can do. thanks bro

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

Your very welcome, hope it helps pulled mine while running and there was a vacume.

Cosmos Purple
    2004 Pontiac GTO

yeah import eater.... Our HVAC mode selector is vacuum controlled not electric. I had mine knobs off before so I know. lol

Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Hmmm....I was wrong but then again Luxembourg did shit all different and alot of the times making no sense hahah!

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

So...was problem resolved?

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

Thread Information