Yellow
    2005 GTO M6 - One of 498

Has anyone tried the Dunlop Z1?

Regarding the stock size 245-45-17 has anyone tried these tires? THey have a fantastic rating on TRack and look to be a great solution for the stock rims...

awesome wet and dry hook up numbers...
    Last edited by TheJudge05; 04-09-2010 at 10:10 AM.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

I have the 245-40-18 on my Enkei KLAMPs. I'm quite happy with them for street driving. Much better grip than the stock. Also get very sticky on hot summer asphalt....seriously last summer when I would kick my rear out into a slide for shits I would look back to see straight black lines hahaha! After a week of heavy driving you will see rubber all in the wells and on your paint too...sucks to clean off though.

The price is good for them though!

Yellow
    2005 GTO M6 - One of 498

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 6.0LiterImportEater View Post
    I have the 245-40-18 on my Enkei KLAMPs. I'm quite happy with them for street driving. Much better grip than the stock. Also get very sticky on hot summer asphalt....seriously last summer when I would kick my rear out into a slide for shits I would look back to see straight black lines hahaha! After a week of heavy driving you will see rubber all in the wells and on your paint too...sucks to clean off though.

The price is good for them though!
    Thanks, how long do you think they will last you, two season? How are they in the rain? And would you buy again?

Price is definately good, maybe great considering their rating and grip...

Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

I'm not too sure how long they will last. I have only had mine for one season so far and maybe put 4k on them so far. I don't have much wear on them though. If your just looking for street tires then I do believe they should last a fair time.

I don't know how much improvement any tires are for us in the rain. The power combined with a light rear always makes it a bit sketchy. I find these comparable to the stock tires in bad weather.

I would buy them again if I was just looking for some good cheap street tires. I finally got a beater so the GOAT is only a weekend/nice weather ride so will be upgrading to street radials when I do.

Yellow
    2005 GTO M6 - One of 498

Quote Originally Posted by 6.0LiterImportEater View Post
    I'm not too sure how long they will last. I have only had mine for one season so far and maybe put 4k on them so far. I don't have much wear on them though. If your just looking for street tires then I do believe they should last a fair time.

I don't know how much improvement any tires are for us in the rain. The power combined with a light rear always makes it a bit sketchy. I find these comparable to the stock tires in bad weather.

I would buy them again if I was just looking for some good cheap street tires. I finally got a beater so the GOAT is only a weekend/nice weather ride so will be upgrading to street radials when I do.
    Wow, ok so maybe I need to re-base my thinking... My GTO is a Summer/good weather driver, I have a Ford Expedition as my winter/bad weather driver. From what I could tell the Zs were about the best max summer tire you could lay your hands on before going to something ridiculous like a drag radial or auto-x tire which is not very streetable in the early Spring or Fall. I'll take my Goat out on a January day if it is cold and dry, but something like a DR in that weather might be scary or even dangerous. What are your thoughts? I was really expecting the Z1s to be incredible as compared to the BF KDWS, is that what you had originally? thanks

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

You talking about the star specs? You should post up the complete tire name. If you go to car and driver and look up tires you will see the star spec was rated number 1 out of tires they had tested. I looked at them and 2 things stopped me 220 treadwear and they run to narrow for my f-body. If you don't intend to get over or at 20k why not?

Yellow
    2005 GTO M6 - One of 498

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    You talking about the star specs? You should post up the complete tire name. If you go to car and driver and look up tires you will see the star spec was rated number 1 out of tires they had tested. I looked at them and 2 things stopped me 220 treadwear and they run to narrow for my f-body. If you don't intend to get over or at 20k why not?
    Yes Star Spec Z1s... Actually the treadwear is 200, Maxx TTs are 220, and the size seems normal to large per size category (surprised you thought they were narrow), either way, I only put about 7k a year on my car so these would be perfect. The only delay right now is that the BF KDWs are at a ridiculous price on tirerack and are very tempting... Either way, I have to make a decision by Saturday (discounts run out)

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by TheJudge05 View Post
    Yes Star Spec Z1s... Actually the treadwear is 200, Maxx TTs are 220, and the size seems normal to large per size category (surprised you thought they were narrow), either way, I only put about 7k a year on my car so these would be perfect. The only delay right now is that the BF KDWs are at a ridiculous price on tirerack and are very tempting... Either way, I have to make a decision by Saturday (discounts run out)
    My tire sizes are wider than what a gto would usually look at, my next tires are going to be 285's If you don't pack on the miles I guess you should try them out, I believe they tested the kdw nt's in the same test as the z1's if you just go to car and driver.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

I never had the BFG KDWs. I also heard very mixed reviews on them. Mostly they stick like no business but because the tread is crazy it wears very uneven (cupping). This causes vibrations and alot of road noise.

I would stick with the Z1s.

Thread Information