GTO no GO

This is a discussion on GTO no GO within the GTO forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I own a 2004 GTO just filled the gas tank jumped in to it tried to start it and only ...

Purple
    2004 GTO

GTO no GO

I own a 2004 GTO just filled the gas tank jumped in to it tried to start it and only ran for 3-5 sec before it died i did that several times with no success battery is brand new and lights arent dim so it cant b that and no errors pop up on dash. got it towed and let it sit for a day went back and started it and it ran just fine so i turned it off and let it sit the next day it was doing it again 3-5sec then dieing. if anyone has had this problem or know what the problem is plz post

Cosmos Purple
    2004 Pontiac GTO

sounds like a KEY issue to me.

Purple
    2004 GTO

y would the key effect that?

1966 Corvette Coupe

Sure its not a NO VA?

Sorry I'm a little drunk...

-me

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

Could be the fuel pump is weak.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I think I have read stories on another forum about the anti-theft system doing this once the key battery was weak/dead. Or the anti-theft system didn't recognize the key? But I could be wrong.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

No if it was anti-theft It would act like wrong key .. I would take battery off and reset to make sure .. Sounds more like bad gas ...

Purple
    2004 GTO

The key battery is dead went ovr to start it today and it wouldnt even open the door tried to open it with the key and alarm went off....so now its sitting there with the battery disconnected so the alarm will stay off lol i think ill find the spare key and see if that changes any thing. If anyone else has any ideas PST it and cant b bad gas my truck got filled there 20min after and is working fine and not fule filter cuz theres only one filter and its the sock....y would they have the sock as the only filter in that line?

Purple
    2004 GTO

fule pump isnt the problem either i checked the voltage and amprage nothing ovr normal

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Find the spare key and try that. If the car fires up without incident, then you are good to go. You will have to order another fob from either the dealer or eBay and go to the dealer to have the new/replacement fob programmed.

Cosmos Purple
    2004 Pontiac GTO

Now what did I say? Key issue. lol

Blue
    2004 GTO

My GTO did pretty much the same thing and I tried everything from the key to buying a new battery. I ended up taking it to my mechanic who tested the entire electrical system only to find that nothing was wrong. He had the car for three days and it started each time for him without a problem. I got the car back and have not had a problem since. He and I talked it over and our best guess is that there was something loose that he tightened that was causing the car to not stay running. I know that this may not help a whole lot but it might give you some insight as to what the issue is.

Purple
    2004 GTO

it was the key if its dead it wont run it sends current down the key in to the ignition with out battery life the car wont run thx for the help the keys are pricy and not being able to change the battery is stupid getting the key to work with out the code is another hassle

Yellow
    2004 GTO

I'm a Gm Tech and you can get the code from Gm dealer World when the parts dept VIS the Car the Code you need is the BCM code the only problem you may run into if the BCM was ever replace it comes with a new code and that will also be for ur Radio as well i Program those keys Fob all the time ,When you go to a Gm Dealer all you need is the the Key Fob and two new Screws all under about $$50 and most GM Dealer charge 1.0 hr shop rate unless you know a Gm Tech that will do it on the side

Yellow
    2004 GTO

Also those Key Fob is a one time program so you cant buy a used ones there will be no good that system is very ticky I just had to get a key and a fob cause someone stole mine and with the lazer cut key and the fob my cost was $103 and i program it my self cause I'm a Gm Tech

Thread Information