Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar

Question Good all season performance tires?

So i have always driven a rwd drive car for winter in chicago since i was 16. However all had street tires. This is the first winter i have ever driven a rwd car (gto) with dr's in the snow. IM THROUGH!.
    It's bad enough that i literally get stuck on every slight incline i come to when its snowing and get almost get into several accidents frequently but today is it...Fuck these things. I currently have nitto 555r's dr's..
    What are some of the best for the money, all around performance street tires (275/40/17) i can pick up that will not leave me feeling like im controlling a sled??
    01 m6 z28 - lid / lt headers / 3' ory w no cats / flowmaster catback w 3' dmh e-cutout / nelson pcm tune

anyone have any good info?

anyone

cyclone grey
    2006 pontiac gto

contiextremecontacts got them from the tirerack and they work like champs
    2006 gto cyclone grey ls2 m6
    aps tt system,90mm ported fast intake,elite catch can,b&m short shifter,fiske profil 10 18x8 1/2 245/40/18ZR 38mm offset fr 18x9 1/2rr 275/40/18ZR 51mm offset rr,Magnaflow cat
    back.
    2006 GSXR1000 with to much done to it then i'm willing to write about.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Get a set of winter tires and rims for an easy swap and best performance in both seasons. I'm running Good Year Ultra Grip GW3 for winter.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrowner View Post
    contiextremecontacts got them from the tirerack and they work like champs
    im gonna have to get mine from discoun tires though. just because, i got a couple buddys that work there that always hook me up with prices
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    Get a set of winter tires and rims for an easy swap and best performance in both seasons. I'm running Good Year Ultra Grip GW3 for winter.
    if i had the money id dddef do that man. unfortunately i dont have a thousand bucks to put on two new rims and tires...

how are those nitto555 street tires?? are they ok in the snow? im looking for street tires that i can take to the track n hook well and are also good in snow...if there is such a combination,lol

Black
    00 WS6

When I had my 04 GTO I bought a second set of stock 17s and put snow tires on them. The stock tires did not do well in the snow.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I liked the General UHP's very well....
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....el=Exclaim+UHP

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    haha those arnt ment for snow sarge!!!! no more winter tire advise from rich old men in texas

Quote Originally Posted by qwk93ta View Post
    When I had my 04 GTO I bought a second set of stock 17s and put snow tires on them. The stock tires did not do well in the snow.
    well when i say my dr's are bad i mean imagine an intersection at a 10 degree angle. hardly an incline at all right??

well ill be in D with my foot on the brake. all i do is lift my foot off the brake in about a half to one inch on snow. my car idling will just start sliding right. not go forward. just slide right without touching the gas and if there is anything next to me (car {parked or moving}, semi, curb, snow hill) i practically slide into it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    they look good and the price is nnnnice..wonder if discount carries em
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    haha those arnt ment for snow sarge!!!! no more winter tire advise from rich old men in texas
    yeah so how are those nitto 555 streets??

cyclone grey
    2006 pontiac gto

the general's are good tires,afew of my friends roll on them.but i got the contiextremecontacts couse a friend use's them on this 911 tt in chicago year round,in i figure if they work with him they gota fit my bill.which they did very nicely
    Last edited by dkrowner; 02-14-2008 at 03:30 PM.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke View Post
    im gonna have to get mine from discoun tires though. just because, i got a couple buddys that work there that always hook me up with prices

if i had the money id dddef do that man. unfortunately i dont have a thousand bucks to put on two new rims and tires...

how are those nitto555 street tires?? are they ok in the snow? im looking for street tires that i can take to the track n hook well and are also good in snow...if there is such a combination,lol
    If you look around you can find used wheels and used winter tires pretty cheap. I run on 16" Z-28 that I got for $200. I've seen many sets of used winters that I could have gotten for $150 for a set.

Impulse Blue
    2006 GTO

I dunno about snow but I use Toyo T1-R's, they work really well for me in rain and dry weather. Maybe take a look into these..

hmm im gonna have to look into all of these. only thing is i can only get tires that discountires carry. cause i literally get a discount,lol. thats funny

well im lookin at the nitto 555 extreme street vs. bfg g-force sport..

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fin...MTAHZI&rf=true

what do ya'll think??

Also there are several cracks goin all around my dr's by the wall. i guess your really not supposed to drive dr's during winter. Does this osund normal?? i live in chicago and this winter has been bad but wtf i just got the fuckers in nov. it was funny because before my friend took care of me the one dude was like "Ive NNNever heard of ANNyone driving with drag radials during winter in chicago as a dd. Your the first one.." My response: yyyyeah....i always like to have ultimate traction regardless of the season..lol

pewter

u NEED summer and winter tires living in chicago bro driving a gto.....esp in the rear ....ur fuckin nuts !!!! lol....chicag avgs about 50inchs or more of snow a yr right? we avg a 100 in roch

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    u NEED summer and winter tires living in chicago bro driving a gto.....esp in the rear ....ur fuckin nuts !!!! lol....chicag avgs about 50inchs or more of snow a yr right? we avg a 100 in roch
    lol, damn 100 a year. holy shit thats a lotta fuckin snow! soo you get all that lake effect bullshit huh?? you by buffalo? i heard its real bad there as well. but yeah i think as long as i get some decent street tires i should be ok. Basically anything but drag radials,lol. I mean last year i had kumho ecsta's on the back and had no problems whatsoever in the snow...

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

The Kumho 712's work Very good for the price and like snow and rain.

http://www.bizrate.com/automotivetir...599752696.html
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

White
    2000 SS Camaro

I have the conti extreme contact tire and I like them . They work well in the rain and snow.

pewter

Quote Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke View Post
    lol, damn 100 a year. holy shit thats a lotta fuckin snow! soo you get all that lake effect bullshit huh?? you by buffalo? i heard its real bad there as well. but yeah i think as long as i get some decent street tires i should be ok. Basically anything but drag radials,lol. I mean last year i had kumho ecsta's on the back and had no problems whatsoever in the snow...
    yeah lake effect is right!!! dec alone we had over 40 inches..lol....u dont know where rochester is??? funny how everyone knows where buffalo is and it has roughly the same population...thank the bills for that!!! ........buff/rochester/syracuse....all about the same size and all avg around 100 inches of snow a yr ty to lake effect .....oswego just north of syracuse is around 200 a yr...insane!!! ..few yrs ago there was pics of them burried under 10 feet from a lake effect snow event

Thread Information