Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Gimme the rundown on GTOs

This is a discussion on Gimme the rundown on GTOs within the GTO forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; So i've been through Fbodys and have dealt with my share of ups and downs with them and love em ...

  1. #1
    Senior Member tatertot91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Posts
    5,773

    Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Gimme the rundown on GTOs

    So i've been through Fbodys and have dealt with my share of ups and downs with them and love em a lot, but was wondering what everyone thought of their GTOs. I've seen the interiors of them and love the look of em but just curious of any downsides you guys have to say. I know some have had their share of shock issues and then there's the issue of tire size, believe 285 is pretty tight out back and i'm real into the real fat tire size, just thought i'd ask you guys about them. Any big trouble areas, issues that sort of stuff?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Paterson/Ridgewood, NJ
    Posts
    11,474

    Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

    Fun cars. As long as they are well maintained, they will be reliable.

  3. #3
    Senior Member JonB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,458

    Black
    2005 GTO

    Suspension is the biggest stock issue. I swapped to bc coil-overs and it changed the car completely, handles so much better. Overall its a solid car, great performance, amazing highway manors rides much better than an f-body, interior is way better than an f-body, interior is also much quieter than f-body(until you add headers and some exhaust)gas mileage is on par with f-body maybe a tad lower in 05-06's. My only regret is getting an A4 I miss having an M6 car.

  4. #4
    Senior Member tatertot91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Posts
    5,773

    Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Thanks, i've thought about maybe switching one day but it would take a lot for me to sell the ss. Just wondering what peoples opinions were on it.

  5. #5
    Feels so good BadBlueBird*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Ga
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,184

    LeMans
    2005 Corvette 2005 GTO

    Mine is my daily driver and I love it. Weight and suspension may be the only downside from perfection but at the moment I dont mind it one bit. Sold my 05 gto and bought a c5 corvette to daily driver, that lasted about 3 months before the corvette was gone and im back into another gto

  6. #6
    Senior Member 00LS12LS6Z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bristow, VA
    Posts
    663

    Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 (sold)

    Quote Originally Posted by BadBlueBird* View Post
    Mine is my daily driver and I love it. Weight and suspension may be the only downside from perfection but at the moment I dont mind it one bit. Sold my 05 gto and bought a c5 corvette to daily driver, that lasted about 3 months before the corvette was gone and im back into another gto

    I just wanted to ask, what was wrong with the C5? Did you need back seats or bad gas mileage?

  7. #7
    Feels so good BadBlueBird*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Ga
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,184

    LeMans
    2005 Corvette 2005 GTO

    nothing really but I also own a c6 so for me the c5 felt a bit dated. The gto is one of the most underrated cars in my time.

  8. #8
    Senior Member slims00ls1z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    1,212

    2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

    Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Fun cars. As long as they are well maintained, they will be reliable.
    You said a mouthful right there! I love the GTO don't get me wrong, but mine has not held up too well. 136K hard miles as a DD and it shows much worse than the Camaro did with the same mileage. GTO has only been down the track once Camaro went religiously 2 or 3 times a month.

  9. #9
    Senior Member tatertot91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Posts
    5,773

    Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by slims00ls1z28 View Post
    You said a mouthful right there! I love the GTO don't get me wrong, but mine has not held up too well. 136K hard miles as a DD and it shows much worse than the Camaro did with the same mileage. GTO has only been down the track once Camaro went religiously 2 or 3 times a month.
    Please elaborate

  10. #10
    Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Paterson/Ridgewood, NJ
    Posts
    11,474

    Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

    If they are driven hard, the rear could be in need of replacement...which is NOT cheap.

  11. #11
    Senior Member tatertot91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Posts
    5,773

    Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    If they are driven hard, the rear could be in need of replacement...which is NOT cheap.
    sounds like an fbody, cept i could find a replacement rear in a few minutes fairly cheap haha

  12. #12
    Senior Member slims00ls1z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    1,212

    2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

    Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    Please elaborate
    So far the following have failed or are failing on mine that aren't related to something stupid on my part.

    Shift gate became notchy making it hard to engage 1st
    Shifter handle broke where it attaches to the shifter on trans (probably because of the above and it's pot metal)
    Pops out of first gear from time to time, especially at lights.

    Suede patch on passenger door came unglued twice.
    Headliner is falling on passenger side

    Leather on steering wheel and shifter is fraying bad (but I'm not too hard on those because I'm sure any leather wheel or shifter with this many miles would probably be the same.)

    Strut mounts were replaced before I bought it
    Both tie rod ends needed replacing (took 6 months to get to me from Pedders because no one else had them)
    Rear wheel bearing went out about 6 months ago
    Clutch hasn't worked right for quite some time (drill mod stuff I'm thinking just not had time to fix)
    Parking brake keeps working loose
    Both window switches work when they want to and don't work if it's cold outside.
    Driver side window window just came unglued from front track (Definately fixing that Monday)
    Same leak on driver side door as several others have
    Stuck key problem several times already (common problem common fix but annoying when it happens)
    VATS issue curently going on as well.
    Plastic bits on the car are fragile (covers for the seat tracks, and other interior bits.

    That's all I can think of off the top of my head aside from the regular stuff that's required on everything (tune up, brakes, lights).

    I'm rough on cars I know, and the road I live on is curvy and bumpy that I don't take lightly, but again I never had this much issues with my Camaro with the same style of driving. So far the only thing the Camaro went through that the GTO hasn't in the same time frame is Rotors and light bulbs. The Camaro ate those every 6 months. I'm still on stock rotors on the GTO and brake just as hard or harder with it, and I don't blame it for the other stuff that are obviously due to stupidity or negligance.

    Still love it though. Even with all the issues I'm dealing with. Still don't know if I will sell it or keep it when I get all the stuff fixed.

    As far as fat tires go 255's on stock rims rub. Me personally I'm glad I didn't trade my Camaro for the GTO. GTO's a better driver for sure, smoother etc. But My style of driving suits something a little less picky and where most of the parts are available at autozone.
    Last edited by slims00ls1z28; 09-03-2011 at 05:39 PM.

  13. #13
    Turgid Member Goat-E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Hollywood, Florida by way of Da' Burgh
    Posts
    390

    Impulse Blurr
    2004 GTO

    Quote Originally Posted by slims00ls1z28 View Post
    So far the following have failed or are failing on mine that aren't related to something stupid on my part.

    Shift gate became notchy making it hard to engage 1st
    Shifter handle broke where it attaches to the shifter on trans (probably because of the above and it's pot metal)
    Pops out of first gear from time to time, especially at lights.

    Suede patch on passenger door came unglued twice.
    Headliner is falling on passenger side

    Leather on steering wheel and shifter is fraying bad (but I'm not too hard on those because I'm sure any leather wheel or shifter with this many miles would probably be the same.)

    Strut mounts were replaced before I bought it
    Both tie rod ends needed replacing (took 6 months to get to me from Pedders because no one else had them)
    Rear wheel bearing went out about 6 months ago
    Clutch hasn't worked right for quite some time (drill mod stuff I'm thinking just not had time to fix)
    Parking brake keeps working loose
    Both window switches work when they want to and don't work if it's cold outside.
    Driver side window window just came unglued from front track (Definately fixing that Monday)
    Same leak on driver side door as several others have
    Stuck key problem several times already (common problem common fix but annoying when it happens)
    VATS issue curently going on as well.
    Plastic bits on the car are fragile (covers for the seat tracks, and other interior bits.

    That's all I can think of off the top of my head aside from the regular stuff that's required on everything (tune up, brakes, lights).

    I'm rough on cars I know, and the road I live on is curvy and bumpy that I don't take lightly, but again I never had this much issues with my Camaro with the same style of driving. So far the only thing the Camaro went through that the GTO hasn't in the same time frame is Rotors and light bulbs. The Camaro ate those every 6 months. I'm still on stock rotors on the GTO and brake just as hard or harder with it, and I don't blame it for the other stuff that are obviously due to stupidity or negligance.

    Still love it though. Even with all the issues I'm dealing with. Still don't know if I will sell it or keep it when I get all the stuff fixed.

    As far as fat tires go 255's on stock rims rub. Me personally I'm glad I didn't trade my Camaro for the GTO. GTO's a better driver for sure, smoother etc. But My style of driving suits something a little less picky and where most of the parts are available at autozone.
    I don't know if you are still monitoring this thread but I got tie rod ends from Kollar Racing in 3 days. Kollar Racing Products Home Page

  14. #14
    Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Paterson/Ridgewood, NJ
    Posts
    11,474

    Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

    I have sent emails trying to get them onboard as sponsors but haven't heard back.

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Tempe, AZ
    Posts
    25

    Machine Silver
    04 Corvette

    The biggest problem I had was with the 05 GTO and 05 Corvette. Both have the LS2 engines which tend to heat up due to the 10.9 compression ratio and the small oil pan. The LS1 engine has a lower compression ratio 10.1 and a larger oil pan: 6.5 quarts vs 5.5 quarts. GM only made the LS2 engines for three years (05,06,07), because the LS2 engines tended to over heat unlike the LS1 engines. That is why I traded my 05 GTO for an 04 Corvette.

  16. #16
    Member RedSuperSport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    228

    Red
    99 SS

    Ls1 holds 6.5 quarts? I wad told it was 5.5

    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    missouri
    Posts
    1

    red
    gto

    whats the top cheapest things you can do to a 04 gto to increase the hourse power ??

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Tempe, AZ
    Posts
    25

    Machine Silver
    04 Corvette

    Hi Nick. Your 99ss may have a different oil pan than my 04 Vette. Forgive me for generalizing.

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Tempe, AZ
    Posts
    25

    Machine Silver
    04 Corvette

    I had an 04 gto. I bought a Predator hand-held programmer for about $320. The GTO made an additional 15 HP and 17 TQ to the wheels.

  20. #20
    Member RedSuperSport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    228

    Red
    99 SS

    Quote Originally Posted by GoatRider View Post
    Hi Nick. Your 99ss may have a different oil pan than my 04 Vette. Forgive me for generalizing.
    Oh Ok you had me worried cause I did a oil change yesterday and filled it and it held 5.5 quarts

    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Obama Admits to Tax Increases in Obamacare, ...the Rundown..
    By wileyCoyote in forum Political / Debate Forum
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 10-02-2013, 01:39 PM
  2. Gimme some ideas
    By rajiv1998 in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-23-2010, 01:00 PM
  3. C3 Corvette Seat Reupholstery - Gimme Some Skin
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Corvette
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-23-2009, 10:00 PM
  4. Britney's new video: Gimme More
    By RiceEater in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 10-16-2007, 10:01 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •