Thread: Gears?

red
    04 GTO

Gears?

i have a 04 gto i was wondering what would be the best place online to buy gears?

also i guess while im posting this i middest well ask another question. i just got my first GTO and i have joined a car club so im starting to do more stuff to my car. i was wondering in your opinion what would be the best way to go starting of to improve my hp? im thinking of starting with 4:10 gears, an x pipe, and a chip. is there other things that would work better or something i should do after i do those things? i would very grateful for some help. thank you.

Carousel Red
    2005 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley1987 View Post
    i have a 04 gto i was wondering what would be the best place online to buy gears?

also i guess while im posting this i middest well ask another question. i just got my first GTO and i have joined a car club so im starting to do more stuff to my car. i was wondering in your opinion what would be the best way to go starting of to improve my hp? im thinking of starting with 4:10 gears, an x pipe, and a chip. is there other things that would work better or something i should do after i do those things? i would very grateful for some help. thank you.
    Look here for gears, but be aware that you're looking at roughly $1100 to purchase everything needed and have them installed professionally; on top of that the lowest ratio available (as far as I know) is 3.91. Gears don't increase horsepower, just change how the horsepower you have gets to the ground. Depending on whether or not you have an auto or if you do a lot of highway travel or if you have taller tires out back or if your plan is to have a high top end speed... well, you may require something different down the road so jumping right into something that expensive right off the bat - without having a plan - isn't the smartest thing.

Honestly, and this may sting a little, you may want to do some serious research (read, read, read and read some more) and make a plan for what you want from your car instead of just shotgunning around for "ways to improve hp" and throwing them at your vehicle. I know that sounds like a drag, I know that's "hard" and / or "boring" but in the end you'll be happier running your paper plans past people that have "been there, done that" and getting their opinions than just throwing money over and over and over again at your car and being disappointed with the results. A proper combination that gives you the best bang for the buck isn't hard to do, it just takes some time to do all the research and get all your ducks in a row. Off the factory floor the GTO has fantastic performance, enjoy it while you plan for bigger and better.

Do it once, do it right or do it over.

Now, that said, were it me, I'd start with replacing some of the stock suspension stuff with Noltec/White Line/Pedders stuff. Regardless of what your plan is for the rest of the car, there's six years worth of use on the factory stuff and just by replacing some of those items it'll feel like a new ride. It's (relatively) cheap, most of the mods are things you can do in your garage with hand tools (again, cheap) and nearly everyone has done them so help isn't too far away, either by internet or from some of your local buddies.

Just my opinion,

Steve
    Steve
    2005 Carousel Red Twin Turbo GTO
    Click for full size
    My Garage

red
    04 GTO

you are absolutely right i have been researching and been talking to my friends that know alot more about cars than i do. i suppose i should said that my car isn't completely stock. when i bought it the previous owner had done some mods. it has duel exhaust, its been lowered, and K&N. i think thats it but i haven't looked into the engine to much.

im thinking of starting with gears, x pipe, and a chip. "getting hp" was a bad way to put it i wanted knowledge from people who have been there and done it, and have seen what works or not. not only to increase hp but make the car better. my friend was a mustang guy so he know the little tweaks and tricks for a mustang. i wanted to know what some would be for a GTO.

IBM
    04 GTO

There is a company on the other website that makes 4.10 gears for our cars but you'll be looking at over 500 for just the gears.

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

I agree with Steve and I bought the set up he posted the link to. I drove a 6 speed car with 3.91's and a head/cam combo that was very fast. So fast in fact that I jumped on a deal to make my Goat just as quick. After I get done with the engine stuff it will be time to start buying suspension parts. You will need to be able to put the power to the ground. Say "NO" to a chip and get a real tune, I am sure Frost can do a mail order to your liking or find a good shop in your area. Just my .02.

Scott

Thread Information