Gas gauge issue...

This is a discussion on Gas gauge issue... within the GTO forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Ok so heres my problem... Im broke for another week until my new job's check comes in, so Ive been ...

Nero
    2006 gto

Gas gauge issue...

Ok so heres my problem... Im broke for another week until my new job's check comes in, so Ive been letting my tank run low. I dont drive much, mostly just to and from work, and for general 10-50 mile cruises, depending on my mood. So I've become good friends with the Range function on the dashboard computer.

2 nights ago I put $15 in the tank and went for a drive. When I parked my car I had 1/8th of a tank/50 miles left. Yesterday I drove it to and from CVS (1/4 mile from my house) and parked it, not bothering to look at the gauges. I started it up this morning, and it showed my tank at empty, with 14 miles left. After about 200 yards, it went to 6 miles. Has anyone else seen this happen to them? I just hope its not a big$$ problem.

Just posting this makes me feel better, since I know I'll have a solid answer soon.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

my car can show half a tank of gas during normal driving and some granny will do 40 in a 55 in front of me so I romp on it to get around them and the needle will go down to like a quarter (which means I pissed it off) park it, come back turn it on and it goes back up again to just below 1/2. Your gauge is fine, put that money into something else even if the gauge brakes

hugger orange

ive had it happen to me too, just does it from time to time and then goes back to normal after awhile. i read somewhere how to recalibrate them but forget where...maybe Sarge will jump in here and tell us, I think he was the one that posted somthing about it.

Nero
    2006 gto

Yeah this is weird. I had 5 miles range left, so I was complaining to my parents. My mother gave me her Stop and Shop card, which gave me 60 cents off per gallon at S&S. Thing is, I didnt have enough gas to get there, the needle was below empty. So I took $5 and went to Sunoco, put in 1.9 gallons, and the gauge went up to 1/4 full. Then I went to S&S, and it only took 13.9 more gallons. So apparently I had about 2 gallons in the tank when it was showing empty. On the bright side, it only cost me $32 at S&S + $5 at Sunoco = $37 to fill my tank from "empty".

Thanks for the quick replies, this will always be the number 1 site I go to for anything car related.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by PatrizioD View Post
    Yeah this is weird. I had 5 miles range left, so I was complaining to my parents. My mother gave me her Stop and Shop card, which gave me 60 cents off per gallon at S&S. Thing is, I didnt have enough gas to get there, the needle was below empty. So I took $5 and went to Sunoco, put in 1.9 gallons, and the gauge went up to 1/4 full. Then I went to S&S, and it only took 13.9 more gallons. So apparently I had about 2 gallons in the tank when it was showing empty. On the bright side, it only cost me $32 at S&S + $5 at Sunoco = $37 to fill my tank from "empty".

Thanks for the quick replies, this will always be the number 1 site I go to for anything car related.
    lol i have a tendoncey to forget about stopping for gas when i need it so i try to keep mine above half a tank.

I love this site too

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

That range thing is really erratic. I believe, and there is nothing other than what I think, that it averages everything out. If you let your car warm up, as in idling for longer than 5 minutes, you will see it take a massive dive.

I drive on the freeway... and the computer automatically compesates and gives your the big range... That will stay in there, until about 4 or 5 city trips, then it will drop into the 200's.

It just averages out the average that your driving. Take it for what it is, just a reference. Besides, once your low fuel light comes on... there is still 2 gallons left in the tank.

Thread Information