Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First TIME!!!

Black
    2004 GTO

First TIME!!!

ok...im running my car in the quater mile 2-marrow and its my first time..just wanted to see what you all think i should be running.. I have an LS1 A4 GTO...with long tubes...Delete cat...x-pipe...stock 05-06 mufflers...tune...and a CAI!! What so you all think i should be running ...just curious??? post some replys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO

mid to low 13s

Black
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by GTO1_OHIO View Post
    mid to low 13s
    cool cool..just what i was expecting..well...ill post up some times' 2 marrow..

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by pmolina0436 View Post
    cool cool..just what i was expecting..well...ill post up some times' 2 marrow..
    It'll depend on 2 things, the temperature and traction. Do you have DRs? You'll need them and a low temperature to get low 13s.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Just have fun and try a few different ways of launching it until you find the one that works for you. FWIW my 04 went 13.6@102 with torque management removed and a CAI so you should beat that I would think. Report back and let us know how it goes. If you don't run as good as you think you should don't let it bother you...... I never run what I think I should run.

Red
    2001 ws6

agrred with the low to mid 13's get a stall and ull be in the high 12's good luck 2marro

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Good for you. Hello dragstrip+hello more go fast parts/pissed off wife girlfriend departure*less expense=more money for go fast parts
    You should be in low 13's I agree....stall would get you in the 12's....

Black
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Just have fun and try a few different ways of launching it until you find the one that works for you. FWIW my 04 went 13.6@102 with torque management removed and a CAI so you should beat that I would think. Report back and let us know how it goes. If you don't run as good as you think you should don't let it bother you...... I never run what I think I should run.
    will do!!

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Be ready for the launch cuz these cars kick ya in the ass when the go pedal hits the floor.

GOD I LOVE GOATS!!!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

update?

pewter
    2002 camaro z28

yeah i say about 13.5.... i got longtubes and ypipe and magnaflows and slp lid and i ran a 13.2 on no name tires so yeah.

Black
    2004 GTO

update?
    well just got back from the race tracks...and I dont know if i should be disappointed or not..My best run was a 14.6 @ 96mph....WTF!!!! DAmn ...My launch was TERRIBLE... Im thinking its cause the tires,,damn it feels like i get better traction on the street than the race track.. but seriously my next mod would have to be some new WHEELS!!! It didnt feel the same running on the street than the strip...Feels like i get a better launch on the street..But yea...14.6...a little disappointed but...what can i say...NEED SOME WHEELS.. by the way do you all recommend any??
    Last edited by pmolina0436; 02-06-2009 at 08:59 PM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yeah, that sucks. What did your 60' times look like? It's your first time at the track so that's 99% of it. Go back another time or two and your times will get much better. Did you run with TC on or off? How were you launching the car? Just practice.......you'll get much better at it.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by pmolina0436 View Post
    well just got back from the race tracks...and I dont know if i should be disappointed or not..My best run was a 14.6 @ 96mph....WTF!!!! DAmn ...My launch was TERRIBLE... Im thinking its cause the tires,,damn it feels like i get better traction on the street than the race track.. but seriously my next mod would have to be some new WHEELS!!! It didnt feel the same running on the street than the strip...Feels like i get a better launch on the street..But yea...14.6...a little disappointed but...what can i say...NEED SOME WHEELS.. by the way do you all recommend any??
    takes practice,youll get it,whats your mods,when i had stock tires non drag radials I used the traction control just to launch ,then soon as car stopped spinning i pushed it off,i found when using the TC button it slowed me down 4 tenths with good tires,but with street tires helps alot but use it just on take offs,I reccomend nittos you can run a 275/40/17 on the stock 17 GTO wheels up under the stock fenders,thats wont even hardly spin on a stock 6.0l but it will hook it ,I have a freind who has one hooked him up with alil tuning took out some TQ management and he rips off 12.8s with just,headers and cold air with nittos 555 drag radials even on street car just takes off with tracion OFF. pm me and ill help any way i can.these car are easy to get low 12s out of pretty much stock,after that you need to spend some cash.
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

Qucik Silver Metalic
    2004 GTO - M6

As stated - it takes practice...
    I'm not a 1/4er guy, I like left's, right's & straight aways.

The first time I went to a track and timed laps I didn't change the set up, I changed how I drove the track. You need minumize(sp) variables and create a baseline. Perfect technique and then improve the variables.

I've installed pedders parts where needed. I stiffened up the rear end give where the vehicle loads up a specific points on the track to improve times after I had a baseline of how the vehicle was going to react.

Also, every vehicle is different. Like a wife or girl friend, a lick here or there makes all the difference in the world. It's not about putting your foot through the floor...you may have to feather her off the line and then drive it home... LOL

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Practice launching. Practice practice practice.

Black
    2004 GTO

yeah, that sucks. What did your 60' times look like? It's your first time at the track so that's 99% of it. Go back another time or two and your times will get much better. Did you run with TC on or off? How were you launching the car? Just practice.......you'll get much better at it.
    yea i had the trac off..
    yea man i know it sucked..You know when it rains, and you have the trac off and floor it...and your RPM's are high but you aint moving....yea that what it felt like through out the 1st and even the 2nd gear..but after that it picked up pretty good.. and i dont know what 60" times is but this was what the slip had

Reaaction :.281
    I1:2.229
    I2:6.315
    I3:9.537 (76mph)

Et:14.662
    MPH:96.743

Black
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Practice launching. Practice practice practice.
    yea..i think im going to get tires before i go back to the strip...And practice..

Black
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by qwkgto View Post
    takes practice,youll get it,whats your mods,when i had stock tires non drag radials I used the traction control just to launch ,then soon as car stopped spinning i pushed it off,i found when using the TC button it slowed me down 4 tenths with good tires,but with street tires helps alot but use it just on take offs,I reccomend nittos you can run a 275/40/17 on the stock 17 GTO wheels up under the stock fenders,thats wont even hardly spin on a stock 6.0l but it will hook it ,I have a freind who has one hooked him up with alil tuning took out some TQ management and he rips off 12.8s with just,headers and cold air with nittos 555 drag radials even on street car just takes off with tracion OFF. pm me and ill help any way i can.these car are easy to get low 12s out of pretty much stock,after that you need to spend some cash.
    thanks..maybe ill just put some twins and just get to the 10"s - 11's.....

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

And here is the good news. I have had probably 30 cars (or more) that I ran. Everyone of them is totally different. Some even the same make and model! So a guy has to re-learn every car. It gets better.....When your modifying a car...it changes....some mods totally change how you launch...so your re-learning all over again.....so not one of us can say we learned just once It is non stop learning.

Thread Information