Thread: Exhaust

Blue
    2004 GTO

Exhaust

So I am going to be buying a cat back exhaust system for my goat. The question is which one. Based off what I have read and heard I am leaning towards the Flowmaster American Thunder. I really like the sound, how it is made and the price is pretty reasonable. Is this a wise decision or what do you recommend and why?

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Go with what you like. Mine came with the SLP LM-1 catback and I am happy. The fact of the matter is that car is YOURS. Build it how YOU want it.

To me, a car is like a blank canvas...and the owner is the artist.

Yellow
    2005 GTO M6 - One of 498

I just bought the Magnaflow SS catback from Wondercarparts.com (great prices and you can negotiate) and I can't wait to put it on, hopefully this weekend. I listened to a lot of systems, the Magnaflow is real high quality like the Corsa, etc, has a true x-pipe, which gives you more of a modern day Narscar sound or European V8, like the Audi V8, basically a more refined grunt, but still a nice grunt.
    Good luck, and enjoy whatever you get...

IBM
    04 GTO

Spintech pro street or SLP loudmouth 1

Black
    2005 GTO

I just put a flowmaster axle-back on my 05 this week. I like it so far, actually its way tamer than I expected, its actually rather quiet at idle but noticable, no drone while cruising, pretty loud at WOT basically it exactly what I was looking for. I had flowmaster 40s on my old 88 monte ss and they were nasty loud, loud from idle to WOT, droned like a son of a bitch while cruising.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

The Flowmaster axle back is a nice sounding kit. The only other kit I know of that is louder are the muffler deletes by I think Kooks. Both the Flowmaster and Kooks have that nice burble at idle but snarl when you hit the gas.

SOLD.New Ride:2011 MAXIMA Pimp'n the 2004's Avatar

Black on Black
    2004 GTO (M6)

Borla...Love It!!!
    Last edited by Pimp'n the 2004; 03-13-2010 at 03:47 PM.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

For the life of me, I will NEVER understand WHY GM went from 2-1/2" from the manifolds back to the mufflers then 2-1/4" from the mufflers back to the tips. Restrictive much?

Blue
    2004 GTO

Today I purchased the Flowmaster American Thunder cat back exhaust which is yet to be installed. After much research I really liked the sound and I got it for a really good price. I liked the sound of the Borla system to but it was $400+ more than the Flowmaster.

Yellow
    2005 GTO M6 - One of 498

I thought about the flowmaster but didn't like the idea of just replacing the mufflers, I wanted a true cat-back. I haven't installed it yet, but I love the quality build of the Magnaflow system, wonderful welds, and polished mufflers? crazy, good looking system, bends look awesome, should flow real nice... Got it for $525 brand new, can't beat those prices.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Post pics when you guys get the systems installed.

Black
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by TheJudge05 View Post
    I thought about the flowmaster but didn't like the idea of just replacing the mufflers, I wanted a true cat-back. I haven't installed it yet, but I love the quality build of the Magnaflow system, wonderful welds, and polished mufflers? crazy, good looking system, bends look awesome, should flow real nice... Got it for $525 brand new, can't beat those prices.
    I was originally going to go with a magnaflow catback, after doing alot of searching it just did seem practical to get a whole cat-back for the minimal gains. Already had an H-pipe put in the stock resonator place a few months back. It was a toss up had wanted the magna flow since I got the car over a year ago but was afraid it would be to mellow plus the price(should like you got an awesome deal) decided just to go with an axle-back and buy a few other goddies, slp predator, cold air inductions CAI, chris white tuned TCM and IAT relocation parts.

Yellow
    2005 GTO M6 - One of 498

Will post pics when done, hoping to install this weekend...

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    For the life of me, I will NEVER understand WHY GM went from 2-1/2" from the manifolds back to the mufflers then 2-1/4" from the mufflers back to the tips. Restrictive much?
    2-1/4" duals have more volume than the ever popular with f-bodies 3" single. By the time the exhaust has reached the mufflers temperatures as well as velocity has dropped alot. Stock cats and manifolds won't outflow 2-1/4" pipe I bet. Just thought i'd share my opinion

To the OP, some like the flowmaster sound, but personally I don't. I hate the interior resonation and echo-y tone. Straight through mufflers (magnaflow, dynomax ultra flo, borla etc.) are quieter cruising around and at idle when you want them to be, while being louder than the flowmasters at full throttle when you want them to be. Flowmasters make me want to punch babies on a long trip

oops, op already bought a kit.

Thread Information