Engine fuel trim goes up when cooling fan turn on

This is a discussion on Engine fuel trim goes up when cooling fan turn on within the GTO forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Hey guys found a small problem don't know if anybody run into this as yet i got 04 GTO and ...

Yellow
    2004 GTO

Engine fuel trim goes up when cooling fan turn on

Hey guys found a small problem don't know if anybody run into this as yet i got 04 GTO and notice that when the car is at a light or it start running rough when the cooling fan kicks on still have the stock air box but my short term fuel trim will go up to about anywhere to 4.5 to 8.7 and soon as the fan turn off the trim will drop but to normal into the negative so there for someplace in the air intake system i got air coming in just want to know if anybody run into this before i tear this car apart

Black
    2004 GTO

If you have a air leak you will generally see double digit fuel trims. You can check it quick by spraying carb cleaner around the intake and watch your FT. Does the engine misfire, or is it a unstable idle when the fans are on? Single digit fuel trims shouldnt cause a running issue that you would notice.

Yellow
    2004 GTO

No missfire counts but when you stop it idle good at times then unstable idle when the fans come on and the short term goes up which once the short term goes up it sent the long term up when it hits 20 counts turn the SES on set both PO171 and PO174 lean it did change the intake gasket what i did notice when i had the intake out the ports around all injectors is warp like bubbles but today i got a new LSX intake manifold with new injectors rail and T/Body From LMQ for $438 These guys put Lots off Pro charger on new engines and these are never used intakes so i will see if that fix it ! i need a new intake anyhow lol i think that happen from too much 110 oct runs on the tracks

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

What mods do you currently have on your car? If you have any mods without a tune, you will get some funky readings.

Yellow
    2004 GTO

This just started Last year before i put it away for the winter and i only put about 150 mls since then my car only have 24k on it lol but 24k beat miles that whats there for and i buy it new only owner ,It's tune and 3500 stall etc best run time is 11.2 no spray all motor well i drive it to my Shop today going to put on the new Lsx intake with all new injectors well see if that fix it but i know the intake on my car is bad because under the injector seat seem like it melted

Black
    2004 GTO

Those codes with the 20+ LTFTs scream intake leak. I think you found your problem.

Yellow
    2004 GTO

Yep when i put both intakes together #1 #7 #2#8 intake runner wrap approx 2mm to the center never seen that happen before ! I have an SLP MAF sensor been running for about 4yrs now and i think its giving up now to every once in a while it will run a little lean only about +2 or 3 STFT then back to -8 to 10 but I'm happy now I live outside Chicago i only drive the GTO 175mls this year so far

Thread Information