Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yellow
    2005 GTO M6 - One of 498

Emergency Brake Problem

I have a 2005 LS2 6-spd GTO, when I pull up on the e-brake (at any speed, usually slow though) I first hear the drivers side pads engage with a clunk, and as I continue pulling up on the lever I then hear the pass-side engage and really clunk in... This is obvioulsy not correct, they engage so hard I'm afraid to even pull it up at any speed over 5mph. The brakes work and hold the car fine when it is parked. It seems like maybe the cable needs an adjustment, DOES ANY ONE HAVE AN IDEA OF WHAT MIGHT BE HAPPENING? The clunking is really hard and I would be worried about needing to use my e-brake in an emergency situation.

Yellow
    2004 Pont. GTO

I would never pull the e-brake handle moving period. You have a 6 speed you can just about stop the car all together by downshifting. But you can pull the little rubber gromets of the brake rotors and there is an individual adjuster for each back wheel. I just don't think you need to do that if you are just using it for parking.
    Magnaflows, K&N CIA, LSS Shifter, Skipped Shift Gone (but not forgotten)

http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member4051.png

Yellow
    2005 GTO M6 - One of 498

Thanks

Thanks for your comments, although I don't need to pull the e-brake up generally for anything other then when the car is parked it still should NOT clunk hard when the each side is engaging. I've had many vehicles over the years with e-brake levers and this was never an issue. Just wondering if this is a problem related to the GTO or just an odd problem with my car.
    I will check out the adjustment grommet you mentioned.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

That is a BAD idea due to the fact you have IRS. The wonderful stock style E-brake is a miniature brake drum in the middle of the rotors hat. So yes you will hear a clunk when that TINY system is trying to break as it spins and actually chatters.
    It is not designed to be used at any speed for slowing down. The shoes are TINY and NOT made to handle heat dissipation.
    Yeah when they are like new and adjusted tight you can get away with it.

I would strongly advise you to not do this. On regular solid axle cars the E-brake lever is just actuating the caliper piston and applying the regular rear pads onto the rotor face.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Yellow
    2005 GTO M6 - One of 498

Angry Hello?

Ok, I've heard enough... The e-brake is in the car to apply brakes whether the car is stopped or moving, it is an auxilary system (cable driven) to help slow down or even stop the car in the case of an emergency; when the main brakes might have failed. To say it is anything other is incorrect. I need some real mechanics to step up and give a real answer to this question. To say I shouldn't expect the e-brake to work when driving is ludicrous. How about wanting to spin the car out in snow just for fun at 10mph, again to say I can't expect to use the brake for anything other then parking is crazy. How about some other GTO 6-spd owners try it on their own car and report back...
    I know multiple BMW owners, who have e-brake systems that also have little drums in the rear rotors, and they can apply the e-brake while driving.
    Someone with some experience with the GTO rear brakes or knowledge needs to step up...

Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

Quote Originally Posted by TheJudge05 View Post
    Ok, I've heard enough... The e-brake is in the car to apply brakes whether the car is stopped or moving, it is an auxilary system (cable driven) to help slow down or even stop the car in the case of an emergency; when the main brakes might have failed. To say it is anything other is incorrect. I need some real mechanics to step up and give a real answer to this question. To say I shouldn't expect the e-brake to work when driving is ludicrous. How about wanting to spin the car out in snow just for fun at 10mph, again to say I can't expect to use the brake for anything other then parking is crazy. How about some other GTO 6-spd owners try it on their own car and report back...
    I know multiple BMW owners, who have e-brake systems that also have little drums in the rear rotors, and they can apply the e-brake while driving.
    Someone with some experience with the GTO rear brakes or knowledge needs to step up...
    i hope they ban you

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Well I have replaced/repaired/modified more "new" GTO brake systems than most I know of so let me give it a shot for you......
    There is a adjustment ....you must remove the rear rotors and you will see a small "drum brake" in the middle there.....that is your ebrake adjustment....I bet you are out of adjustment and one side is "fluttering" and causing the noise....but I will tell you this for damn sure....when you see how small it is...you will be convinced the engineers that designed it never intended it to be used to stop a moving car but to hold a parked car in place....dont know about your BMW buddies....but the ebrake design on these cars is not intended nor designed to stop a moving car......If you want to...adjust the mini drums...that is about all you can do.....I use my brakes and not the ebrake.....

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Thanks for showing your intelligence without me even posting a response!!

Just so others that don't know get confused by a idiot I'll "step up".....
    Sorry to inform you once again it's an EMERGENCY brake NOT a "auxilary" system.I know you meant auxiliary though. Nice try, good guess jr. Maybe they will teach you that at your weekend auto class that you need to attend to gain some knowledge because obviously you are confused.
    Why didn't you just ask the BMW owners cause we all know how mechanically inclined they are.
    It's too bad your PBR calipers aren't enough to slow the car down by them self's you have to aid the brakes by applying the EMERGENCY brake.

If you continue to make Stupid statements like this they will be get blasted by people that have vast knowledge and work on these cars for a living.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Question

Quote Originally Posted by PatrizioD View Post
    I have a 6spd, and I never use the e-brake until Im at a dead stop. The only possible reason I can see for using the e-brake while moving is to throw yourself into a drift. Maybe somebody with REAL knowledge and experience driving a 400hp/400tq RWD can instruct you on how to drift. Other than that, stop trying to impress people with skidding stops, or remove the ABS. Also, get your normal brakes fixed, so you wont need to use the e-brake to stop.
    What PatrizioD.............?

Fast and Furious isn't your favorite movie anymore..............?

silver
    2004 gto

my car makes the same sound.it's called over powering the rear factory brakes.

Gearhead

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Just to throw my two cents in, I've known a few folks to make some fancy cornering on the auto-x using an e-brake drift.

I'm not sure if this was what the OP was getting at.... but I'd say that condition is under two situations:

1, it's a cornering lockup, not a straight on stop, and usually done to break contact of the rear wheels, not to stop.

2, the folks doing so understand the torment this has on the braking system and maintain/constantly replace the parts involved.

I'd also like to remind you the dinging sound is the "idiot alarm" for those who drive around town with a grin like like Bob from the Enzyte commercials all the while with the e-brake up

-sz

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Szalkerous View Post
    Just to throw my two cents in, I've known a few folks to make some fancy cornering on the auto-x using an e-brake drift.

I'm not sure if this was what the OP was getting at.... but I'd say that condition is under two situations:

1, it's a cornering lockup, not a straight on stop, and usually done to break contact of the rear wheels, not to stop.

2, the folks doing so understand the torment this has on the braking system and maintain/constantly replace the parts involved.

I'd also like to remind you the dinging sound is the "idiot alarm" for those who drive around town with a grin like like Bob from the Enzyte commercials all the while with the e-brake up

-sz
    I agree. I've seen inside a real gto drift car. the 1 I looked at had an adjustable poportioning valve for all 4 brakes then a big upright lever mounted where the (parking brake) handle used to be to actvate just the tear brakes. .. the car didn't even have a parking brake ... let's just say I was impressed

silver
    1998 bmw z3

If you look in the owners manual i do believe they dont even call it an emergency brake any more because of a law suit people thinking they could use it in panic stops and end up loosing control of the car. everyone refers to it as a Parking brake and should not be used to stop the car. if you have seen the parking brake shoes you would not want to try and stop the car with them. as far as the clunking goes pull the rear rotor off and check the shoes i have seen many where the friction material seperates from the shoe itself

Yellow
    2005 GTO M6 - One of 498

For those who provided information thanks... obiously some others had trouble comprehending the question are more concerned about spell checking. Ls2 tuner your a gelding, let me know when you blow up your motor, genius.

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

For those who provided information thanks... obiously some others had trouble comprehending the question are more concerned about spell checking. Ls2 tuner your a gelding, let me know when you blow up your motor, genius.
    on your 8th post you call out a mod when your in his section. your not to smart. and is a gelding?

btw ls2tuner

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

Quote Originally Posted by PatrizioD View Post
    Wow. Figures you're from the Liberal jackass capitol of the world. Only people like you could keep electing Ted Kennedy as a senator. Go drive off a bridge. And 440rwhpTransAm, a gelding is a castrated male animal. Obviously The Judge is more concerned with balls than car talk. Good thing gay marriage is legal in Massachusetts....
    jack ass's like you make me

Yellow
    2005 GTO M6 - One of 498

Again idiocy from the moron crowd, get a life.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

WOW, there's no drama over at the Camaro section..

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

Again idiocy from the moron crowd, get a life.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Knock it off.

Thread Information