I f@#ked the prom queen RoadWrath04's Avatar

drivers' morale daily.
    Destroying Mustang-

Dominating Daily Driver

Okay, here goes...im asking for help from pros, because the idiots around here know nothing about my GTO...after purchasing my 2004 A-4 for the second time (long story), i've been watching these threads, and there is just too much stuff that i'd love to do, but don't have the time or finances to even get close to all of it. My goat is stock, and i'm trying to make her respectably competetive, yet upgrade the looks a bit, while keeping her comfortable to drive and maintained...she's flawless, and i'm not looking for upgrades that will eventually cause me to pour endless cash into fixing later...i will be getting a more agressive hood and swapping the rear fascia for the '06 version with dual side exhaust, replacing the exhaust from cat back, and a cold-air intake (prob gonna stay away from any major conversions to the engine or tranny, unless i can find a good shop nearby that i can trust)...i have about $3k more to invest in this job, and i'm looking for the most bang for my buck to make her a little more powerful and keep her driving awesome for a long time...so feel free to abuse me verbally for being way out of my element, but after the beating, please gimme some ideas and recommendations...and thanks in advance
    Last edited by RoadWrath04; 04-05-2010 at 09:30 AM.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Well, $4k can get you some goodies without causing future problems.

Bushings-there are many companies to choose from. Especially if you are building on the cheap.

Headers-gain more HP.

Tune-see Headers

Harrop Differential cover-Better traction/reduced wheelhop.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

IMO, maybe go with a set of L/T headers and a stall. Maybe even a set of gears.

hugger orange

I'd say bushing, springs and a stall

drivers' morale daily.
    Destroying Mustang-

i've seen bushings and springs mentioned alot on here...got any preferred brands and part numbers for me to look at? stuck searching online @ work right now

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by RoadWrath04 View Post
    i've seen bushings and springs mentioned alot on here...got any preferred brands and part numbers for me to look at? stuck searching online @ work right now
    I'm running Energy Suspension's red race version poly everything, Pedders front adjustable radius rod bushings and Eibach 1.2" drop springs...a world of difference

IBM
    04 GTO

I know I'm not a PRO! but heres what I did to my car first LTs,no cats,slp catback,tune CAI and lovells bushings. that made it a whole new car for sure and can be done for far less then 3k. I just built the tranny with a monster in the box kit ($1000 alone) plus threw in a yank pro thruster 4k the car isn't the same it's one bad bitch. Look into long tubes,cat-back and bushings if you have money left over you can pick up a set of shocks,struts and springs monroe gt and king springs for $777 shipped just PM me for the company web site.

drivers' morale daily.
    Destroying Mustang-

anyone have a link for self-install on these bushings? id rather try to turn the wrenches myself, as long as it's not a mission-impossible attempt...

-

There is a sticky of install instructions at the top of the page. The installs are pretty straight forward. The difficulty comes in rust issues and pressing out the rear Lower Control Arm bushes. A bit of heat on these and they come out. Front Radius Rod bushes are easy, large nut off, 4 small nuts off, pull off the OE, put on the caster washers, retainer washers, replacement bush, 4 small nuts and then the large nut. A 4wd HD ball joint press can be used for the front LCA bushes. Hardest part about the rear x-member bushes is getting the center nut to break loose, then re-torquing it to spec after the new bush is installed.

Post up any questions on specific bushes and we can go from there.

hugger orange

My biggest problem was getting the big center bolts back in the rear cross member started once I had the new mounts in

drivers' morale daily.
    Destroying Mustang-

ok, here's the update...in the process of getting a rear fascia and hood from an 05, rotors are here but not installed yet, decided on spintech conversion kit for the 04 exhaust, waiting to get rims black-chromed locally, splitter on the way, stripes kit on the way, no headers yet, gonna use a linkinfelter CAI and tune from frost once the body/exhaust/brake work is complete, then bushings...after that, i'm done till nxt commission check, and i'm thinking tb/intake and headers, retune, new tires, and some dress-up powdercoating under the hood components and maybe nice-looking pulleys...am i missing anything really damn obvious? and is there such a thing as "free mods" that i can accomplish at home on my own?

Thread Information