Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2004 GTO

Does your A4 Do this??

Just wondering if this was normal..My A4 GTO drops about 3/4 of an inch when i put it in gear..Is this normal..Or do i need springs??

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I think it is normal. I think it's the driveshaft turning the rear wheels while the brakes are engaged causing the drop.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO

Totally normal. That's what you want at the track...to load up prior to launching. A reason we don't have wheel hop like a M6.

Black
    2004 GTO

sounds good thanks..just making sure everything normal..

Black
    2005 GTO

Its only normal because of the crappy stock springs in the rear. Most stock A4 GTO do it but the car dropping in the rear when put in gear is not exactly a good thing either. Its part of the reason so many people have tire wear problems in the rear. From what I've read a good set of springs will get rid of it. Personally I have drag bags in the rear mostly to fit my 275's but it also stop the car from dropping when put in gear. A temporary fix until I do new strut/shock/springs.

Yellow
    2004 GTO

so you are saying that if we put 275's in the rear it will hit the rear tires when it drops ?

I f@#ked the prom queen RoadWrath04's Avatar

drivers' morale daily.
    Destroying Mustang-

and do drag bags allow you to fit 275s with the stock suspension?

Black
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by andyramsaran View Post
    so you are saying that if we put 275's in the rear it will hit the rear tires when it drops ?
    It won't hit when you put it in gear but you run the chance of catching the fender lip on bumps ect. Most people either bend or cut the fender lip if they do 275's. I personally have not messed with the fender lip just run the drag bags at about 8-10psi and have had no problem in the last year that I've had them. Drag bags can raise the car up a considerable amount, as you air them up you can see the rear of the car raise up. I would say you can raise it 1-2 inches depending on how much air you put in them.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadWrath04 View Post
    and do drag bags allow you to fit 275s with the stock suspension?
    Yes all I have in the rear is drag bags stock shocks and springs with 275/30/19s. Getting the correct offset plays a big roll in them fitting as well. I have not messed with my fender lips.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    Its only normal because of the crappy stock springs in the rear. Most stock A4 GTO do it but the car dropping in the rear when put in gear is not exactly a good thing either. Its part of the reason so many people have tire wear problems in the rear. From what I've read a good set of springs will get rid of it. Personally I have drag bags in the rear mostly to fit my 275's but it also stop the car from dropping when put in gear. A temporary fix until I do new strut/shock/springs.
    Sorry but .... NO! This suspension is supposed to drop ... it's not the OEM springs. lol And just to let you know I have a full Pedders upgrade all the way around and it still drops ... like it's supposed to. I never have had any tire wear problems and I run 275s on both the track and street.
    Last edited by GTO1_OHIO; 04-26-2010 at 02:52 PM.

Black
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by GTO1_OHIO View Post
    Sorry but .... NO! This suspension is supposed to drop ... it's not the OEM springs. lol And just to let you know I have a full Pedders upgrade all the way around and it still drops ... like it's supposed to. I never have had any tire wear problems and I run 275s on both the track and street.
    So your telling me stock springs are perfectly fine and they don't sag? I guess I misread all the those threads about sagging springs. My car easly dropped 1/2 inch or more when put in gear, that is NOT normal and the car should not do that. Do most a4 gtos do it yes but that does not mean they are suppose to.

I f@#ked the prom queen RoadWrath04's Avatar

drivers' morale daily.
    Destroying Mustang-

ok, now i'm kinda confused...my A4 has always done this, which i considered to be a "pre-load", as the torque started to turn the wheels against the brakes...so how do we find out if this is a crappy springs issue or an intended consequense of driving a vehicle with more than necessary street power? and are the springs the same as our predecessor, the Manaro? or was that a change that was installed when they were Americanized by GM and tagged with Pontiac arrowheads? and one more thing, while we are talking bout "things that my GTO has always done"...does your brake system seem to "test" itself as you first start out in DRIVE...ive felt the buzz everytime i start to go, and always thought it was a system test or something...and i work @ a GM dealership and have been told both the brake-test and the "crouching" in the automatic are normal...
    Last edited by RoadWrath04; 04-27-2010 at 08:14 AM.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO

So your telling me stock springs are perfectly fine and they don't sag? I guess I misread all the those threads about sagging springs. My car easily dropped 1/2 inch or more when put in gear, that is NOT normal and the car should not do that. Do most a4 gtos do it yes but that does not mean they are suppose to.
    Yes the springs sag over time and need to be replaced to get back to stock height. And yes our suspension is designed to load up as it does. That is normal and it is why the A4 doesn't suffer wheel hop like a M6. ...andit is why when you brake stall it loads up even more allowing you to run with more tire pressure off the line without spinning. Sounds like you're only concerned with putting oversized tires on and avoiding rubbing on the fenders...well in that case yeah guess you'd not like it squatting.
    Last edited by GTO1_OHIO; 04-27-2010 at 03:05 PM.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO

ok, now i'm kinda confused...my A4 has always done this, which i considered to be a "pre-load", as the torque started to turn the wheels against the brakes...so how do we find out if this is a crappy springs issue or an intended consequense of driving a vehicle with more than necessary street power? and are the springs the same as our predecessor, the Manaro? or was that a change that was installed when they were Americanized by GM and tagged with Pontiac arrowheads? and one more thing, while we are talking bout "things that my GTO has always done"...does your brake system seem to "test" itself as you first start out in DRIVE...ive felt the buzz everytime i start to go, and always thought it was a system test or something...and i work @ a GM dealership and have been told both the brake-test and the "crouching" in the automatic are normal...
    Mine has never buzzed.

Black
    2004 GTO

yea ..never heard a buzz from mine

Black
    2004 GTO

Yes the springs sag over time and need to be replaced to get back to stock height. And yes our suspension is designed to load up as it does. That is normal and it is why the A4 doesn't suffer wheel hop like a M6. ...andit is why when you brake stall it loads up even more allowing you to run with more tire pressure off the line without spinning. Sounds like you're only concerned with putting oversized tires on and avoiding rubbing on the fenders...well in that case yeah guess you'd not like it squatting.
    I wonder if i should buy the OEM springs in the rear or spend the money and upgrade..?? cause i wanna run 275 also..?? Do you think the OEM springs will work if new?? or still sag a lil??

Black
    2004 GTO

So your telling me stock springs are perfectly fine and they don't sag? I guess I misread all the those threads about sagging springs. My car easly dropped 1/2 inch or more when put in gear, that is NOT normal and the car should not do that. Do most a4 gtos do it yes but that does not mean they are suppose to.
    damn if yours only drops 1/2...then mine most really not be normal..I think last time i checked it was like 3/4's ..!! ok so whats normal??

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by pmolina0436 View Post
    I wonder if i should buy the OEM springs in the rear or spend the money and upgrade..?? cause i wanna run 275 also..?? Do you think the OEM springs will work if new?? or still sag a lil??
    Well mine are Pedders drag springs which are 5/16 taller then stock and my fender lips have been totally flattened and sealed by a body shop ... but I've never rubbed. Don't know if the Pedders have also sagged over time (4 years) but I wouldn't go back to the OEM springs.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

the car is suppost to drop when you put it in gear and preload the suspension,by holding the brake and hitting the gas. what they are talking about is the normal ride height,I have had the stock springs and drag bags in my 05 for three years pulled 1.5 60 ft times a few times with drag radials.I suggest getting drag bags if you dont want to change the springs,both help and they will both lift the car up,as far as 275 tires,this has been said many times nittos work on the stock wheel and dont rub,aftermarket wheels also will work with the 275 nittos,proper back spacing must be done,I run a 17x9.5 wheel on the rear with a 7.5bs never had a rubbing issue,and the same wheels were placed on a freinds 06 and worked like a charm.
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

Black
    2004 GTO

Well mine are Pedders drag springs which are 5/16 taller then stock and my fender lips have been totally flattened and sealed by a body shop ... but I've never rubbed. Don't know if the Pedders have also sagged over time (4 years) but I wouldn't go back to the OEM springs.
    what about 19;s....I want to run 275 on 19' wheels though..Springs or you think drag bags will do??

Black
    2005 GTO

You are correct I do not what my tires to rub and I also want the added traction of a 275 tire. I also don't want excessive squating that causes camber issue that leads to uneven tire wear and less tire contact with the pavement. I know for a fact I am not the only person that has problems with uneven rear tire wear due to the crappy stock springs. You can talk to any reputable vender(pedders is very knowledgeable about gto suspension) and they will tell you the rear springs are total garbage there right up there with the RR bushings.

Thread Information