Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Does your A4 Do this??

This is a discussion on Does your A4 Do this?? within the GTO forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by pmolina0436 what about 19;s....I want to run 275 on 19' wheels though..Springs or you think drag bags ...

Black
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by pmolina0436 View Post
    what about 19;s....I want to run 275 on 19' wheels though..Springs or you think drag bags will do??
    Yes drag bags will do. I've been running 275 on 19s for over a year now with no problems. I would still look into getting spring. IMO springs are the true fix and the bags are just a band aid for the crappy springs. Only reason I went with the bags is the money under $100 for bags or almost $1k for struts/shocks/springs all the way around. I've slowly been working on suspension got all the necessary bushings replaced and next is struts/shocks/springs.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    You are correct I do not what my tires to rub and I also want the added traction of a 275 tire. I also don't want excessive squating that causes camber issue that leads to uneven tire wear and less tire contact with the pavement. I know for a fact I am not the only person that has problems with uneven rear tire wear due to the crappy stock springs. You can talk to any reputable vender(pedders is very knowledgeable about gto suspension) and they will tell you the rear springs are total garbage there right up there with the RR bushings.
    Pedders dealers...well well really? lol

Seriously, did you read. I said that I have a full Pedders setup. To be more exact, both the original Steet/Strip II and the Justice packages installed at Back Street Performance as their first Pedders install guided by the instruction of Justice Pete himself. Who by the way has bought me lunch on several occasions and we have even appeared on televison together for a interview on strut rub. Pedders nope never heard of them.

... So my camber is set up just fine and so are the springs and I have all the major Pedders bits and it still squats like it's designed to. Oh and you also forgot to mention the need for a rear cradle alignment especially if you don't want to take care of your fenders properly. So to the point, yes IMO the stock suspension needs to be upgraded and no it does not nor should it totally eliminate the squatting. You need it to get more traction even with 275s.
    Last edited by GTO1_OHIO; 04-28-2010 at 01:25 PM.

Black
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by GTO1_OHIO View Post
    Pedders dealers...well well really? lol

Seriously, did you read. I said that I have a full Pedders setup. To be more exact, both the original Steet/Strip II and the Justice packages installed at Back Street Performance as their first Pedders install guided by the instruction of Justice Pete himself. Who by the way has bought me lunch on several occasions and we have even appeared on televison together for a interview on strut rub. Pedders nope never heard of them.

... So my camber is set up just fine and so are the springs and I have all the major Pedders bits and it still squats like it's designed to. Oh and you also forgot to mention the need for a rear cradle alignment especially if you don't want to take care of your fenders properly. So to the point, yes IMO the stock suspension needs to be upgraded and no it does not nor should it totally eliminate the squatting. You need it to get more traction even with 275s.
    You can not compare your pedders springs to stock they are not even on the same playing field. I would hope your camber is correct you have good springs not crappy saggin stockers. As for not taking care of my fenders properly I dont think cutting or bending up a car is the proper way but to each there own. The proper way is getting rid of the crappy stock suspension which I am in the process of doing. With out saggy ass springs you would not need to cut or bend your fenders as I have proven IMO with the temporary drag bags.

Now back to the point I am trying to make. I don't argue that your car squats a little when put in gear. With drag bags my car still squat some depending on what psi I run. With 8-10 I see a little but if I pump them up to 15+ I pretty much have none. I am not arguing that with up to standard stock springs our any aftermarket spring that our car would not squat they will to an extent. What I am arguing is in stock form our car squats EXCESSIVELY and is only considered normal because pretty much all gtos do it.

A few questions for you so maybe we can agree on something.

Do our cars on stock spring squat excessivly? YES OR NO. IF our stock springs were up to the proper standards from the factory would the car squat as much? YES OR NO. Will a car with aftermarket spring still squat YES OR NO. Is rear tire wear issues and wheel hop associated with stock rear springs? YES OR NO.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    Do our cars on stock spring squat excessively? YES OR NO. IF our stock springs were up to the proper standards from the factory would the car squat as much? YES OR NO. Will a car with aftermarket spring still squat YES OR NO. Is rear tire wear issues and wheel hop associated with stock rear springs? YES OR NO.
    Do our cars on stock spring squat excessively? NO They squat as per design. Change that design and you get issues you have to correct.

IF our stock springs were up to the proper standards from the factory would the car squat as much? They are to standard so this question is moot.

Will a car with aftermarket spring still squat? Yes because the entire rear suspension is designed to allow this to occur.

Is rear tire wear issues and wheel hop associated with stock rear springs? NO
    First off the car/suspension was designed to run on a 17 inch wheel with 235/45 tire. Correcting the camber and alignment is all related to that fact and a reason why the Pedders and GM alignment numbers are different. The Pedders alignment specs try to compensate for the change that GM made but don't always depending on tire and wheel sizes. That is a major issue in setting up both the front and rear suspension to not have wear related issues. But as far as wear issues, if anything blame GM for changing the tires and wheel sizes but not its alignment specs. The OEM springs are fine out of the box ... and yes they sag substantially over time ... but aren't the cause of the wear. My OEM rear tires on OEM suspension had no associated wear issues even with the springs starting to sag. The front tires on the Pedders suspension did wear on the insides though. No matter how the front alignment was tweaked by the Pedders shop for the 245/45/45 tires it still wore. I went back to a 235/45/17 in front ... which again is what the car is designed to run on ... and no more wear issues. ...as for wheel hop, if the A4 didn't load up the suspension it would have as bad a wheel hop issue as the M6 so no the springs allowing the car to squat does not contribute to increased wheel hop. I dead hook every time always did with both suspensions and DRs.
    Last edited by GTO1_OHIO; 04-28-2010 at 05:46 PM.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

When I went to a dyno day a few months after buying my GTO, a guy with Pedders parts on his car told me his car squats more than mine and my suspension is stock as far as I know.

Black
    2005 GTO

Well to each there own. Apparently all we need is an alignment to fix all the suspension issues. I guess if pedders told everyone that they would be out of buisness. I guess I'm just gullible and believed what pedders and there vendors tell people. Silly me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information