Impulse Blue
    2004 GTO

Do the '04-'06's have posi?????

Mine will only spin both tires in a straight line. When I go around a corner, it will spin the inside tire viciously, but they never both lock up in turns like my mustang or Z28 did. Is it a different typ of posi, or is mine weak?

How would I make a warantee claim if it is faulty? I can't just go in the dealer and tell them I was roasting my tires, and noticed only one spins!!!!

Impulse Blue Matallic
    2005 GTO

It is not "posi" but Limited-Slip. This means that there is a series of small clutches in the diff that sense power and close and open depending on the situation. They are tuned to allow some slip in cornering. However, if yours is getting to the point where you are spinning the inside tire violently and you are not starting to slide, there is something wrong. If you have been doing a lot of burnouts, the dealer will be able to tell just so you know.

6 Speed / Spice Red

Spice Red
    06 GTO

The latter f-body LS1's like my 99SS (SLP option) and 02 Z28 (GM standard) had the Zexel Torsen rear. All gears, no clutches. Do the GTO's have this?

I know the GTOs have the Dana rear. Is that the limited slip part or the housing/gears or both?

When the inside wheel is spinning, it that on hard acceleration or normal driving? If normal driving, definately bring it to the dealer. Even if your driving habits void the warrantee, it's a big safety problem you need to get fixed.

I wouldn't say about rotating tires or whatever. Just say the inside wheel is spinning when you make turns. Let them open it up and diagnose it. Many times in life I've learned more is not better. This is one of them. You may raise suspicions unnecessarily.

Impulse Blue
    2004 GTO

I haven't done alot of burnouts, infact, at 26K miles, I still have the original tires on it(well, they were originally on the front, then swapped to the back.) I'd say less than 10 burnouts, but in those 10, I managed to completely remove the tread on the passenger side tire, while the driver side had at least 1/2 it's tread left. When going around turns with the tire spinning, the rear end does not slide. It stays planted.

That makes me wonder about something else, somewhat related. I've owned 2 late model Z28's. One was an A4 '95(bought in '98), and a M6 '02(bought in '03). The '95, stock would do gnarly burnouts around a corner even stock! I could hang the ass end out as long as I wanted. After I modded the car(including a SLP torque converter), I could do burnouts anytime, any place, even in second gear.

The '02, would barely spin the tires around a corner, and I could only get a good spin from dumping the clutch. I know GM started using that "torque management" on the LS1 F body's. Is that why it would barely spin the tires? There was no traction control switch. The engine had tons of power and seemed like it would roast the treads, but when called to do so.....nothing doing.

The GTO seems this way too. If I step on it from a stop, the tires will only get a squeak. If I step on it from a slow roll, it will light those suckers up, and only then has the rearend gone sideways. Do the GTO's have the torque management too? I would expect it because it has the IRS.

SO, I figure the rearend is messed up. If I take it in, and they check it out, and decide it's broke because of my schenanigans(knowing GM, this would be the case), would I have to pay for the inspection? I'd rather just take it to a rear end shop, and pay them to rebuild it outright, than pay GM to tell me they aren't going to fix it.

I ask alot of questions, but from my experience with GM warranty(mostly with the '02 Z28, and not drivetrain related), I know they will come up with some lame reasons not to fix the car!

Brazin Orange
    2006 GTO

Unhappy Not completely sure on this

I have had an 98 Z28 LS1 auto, and I had no problem lighting up the tires, and that was with a 2.93 rearend and a steel drive shaft. I know have a 06 GTO M6 and I still don't see the problem spinning the tires from 1st gear, even with traction control on! I am not sure where your problem lies, but I was looking to change the rearend in my 98 with a Torsen rearend with 3.23 SLP SS rearend gears just for launch ideals. Can't see why you had the problems in past...sorry

Impulse Blue
    2004 GTO

Change the fluid. I run Royal Purple without any additive. Works great! If you run non synthetic, run as little friction modifier as possible.

A lot of people run too much and that will cause it to slip to much. That will give a nice one wheel peel.
    Rob
    04 GTO
    96 WS6

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by rrrcustom View Post
    I haven't done alot of burnouts, infact, at 26K miles, I still have the original tires on it(well, they were originally on the front, then swapped to the back.) I'd say less than 10 burnouts, but in those 10, I managed to completely remove the tread on the passenger side tire, while the driver side had at least 1/2 it's tread left. When going around turns with the tire spinning, the rear end does not slide. It stays planted.

That makes me wonder about something else, somewhat related. I've owned 2 late model Z28's. One was an A4 '95(bought in '98), and a M6 '02(bought in '03). The '95, stock would do gnarly burnouts around a corner even stock! I could hang the ass end out as long as I wanted. After I modded the car(including a SLP torque converter), I could do burnouts anytime, any place, even in second gear.

The '02, would barely spin the tires around a corner, and I could only get a good spin from dumping the clutch. I know GM started using that "torque management" on the LS1 F body's. Is that why it would barely spin the tires? There was no traction control switch. The engine had tons of power and seemed like it would roast the treads, but when called to do so.....nothing doing.

The GTO seems this way too. If I step on it from a stop, the tires will only get a squeak. If I step on it from a slow roll, it will light those suckers up, and only then has the rearend gone sideways. Do the GTO's have the torque management too? I would expect it because it has the IRS.

SO, I figure the rearend is messed up. If I take it in, and they check it out, and decide it's broke because of my schenanigans(knowing GM, this would be the case), would I have to pay for the inspection? I'd rather just take it to a rear end shop, and pay them to rebuild it outright, than pay GM to tell me they aren't going to fix it.

I ask alot of questions, but from my experience with GM warranty(mostly with the '02 Z28, and not drivetrain related), I know they will come up with some lame reasons not to fix the car!

Yes it has management........ And yes it should spin both tires when you floor it around the corner....... There is MANY issues that could cause your clutches to wear out...... Including bad tires and when I say that they have different circumfrences at the same tire pressure. If one tires rollout is larger than the others the diff. thinks you are constantly turning a little= the cluthes sliping. Also if you didn't buy it new I've burnt those things up in 2 weekends of doing donuts....... Hopefully those couple of issues will enlighting you.
    I would talk to a service writer and explain the one tire fryer issue to him and bring it in to have the clutches checked......Or take it to a performance shop and have them replace the clutches with new ones and shim it tighter. That is what we do..... There is a steel plate in between each clutch disc.... So if you put a little thicker steels in you end up with a much "tighter" posi.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Impulse Blue
    2004 GTO

Nope. Bought the car new, and have always had the same experience. If I mash it from a stop with the T/C off, it will spin the tires for about 10 feet. No real roasting to mention.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Well looks like it's time to get it shimed up with some New clutches!!!!
    If you have access jack up your car and take a tape measure and measure each tire to see if it's the same.

Thread Information