98 Formula
    06 duramax

DMS intake write up

This was put on my brothers 06 GTO last week. Looks sharp. There is some slight cutting/drilling involved so it's not a direct bolt in but it's also not a ton of work. His IAT's dropped ~20 degrees but the weather has also changed a little bit so a few degrees of that can be attributed to the weather. The IAT's fall very fast once the car gets up to speed after idling. I plan on putting a log on here at some point showing how fast the IAT's drop after the car gets moving good.
    It's an expensive intake ( ~$600 after filters and shipping) so it's on the very upper level cost wise as far as CAI's go. I'm pretty well unbiased on the intake. It's nice but that price tag would probably keep me away. I'm also not impressed at all with the T piece that came with it. I can weld that good and I'm a crappy welder. Gravana is aware of the piece and is supposed to ship him out a new one although it's been a couple weeks and he's yet to see it. Gravana even stated at the time of order they were going to send him a new piece. There was some confusion on the order so they sent him this one for the time being so he could get it up and running which was nice of them to do. If/when he does get the new T piece I'll update the thread.

stock:

this is what he got in the mail:

here's a few shots of the T piece:

remove the push pins (yellow arrows) from the radiator cover:

cover removed:

remove torx bolts from air box(there's a 3rd one you can't see on the right):

stock box removed:

remove intake tract and maf. Dotted lines shows how we're going to cut it:

my brothers power saw ( you can't see just how crooked his blade was in the pic) We took ~1" off the MAF:

maf post cut. The center portion has to be ground/cut concave with a dremel. I cleaned this up some from the pic so it actually looks better than this.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the holes on the new shroud need drilled out so the stock push pins can be used:

maf plug in the stock harness:

I took the maf wiring out of the stock loom to give it enough length to reach to the new location for the maf. I wrapped it in black tape and used one of my brothers attractive white zip ties to tie it to the PS line. I've since took him a handful of black zip ties.

we cut the line from the valve cover and put a small breather on it, the arrow at the top shows how much we cut the supplied silicone tube down ( it's 1.5-2" wide now):

couple of finished shots:

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Great writeup. I see what you mean about that weld. Maybe a dremel on the inside "lumps" to smooth things out wouldn't hurt. Jim Gravana is a good guy....he will come through for you.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Great writeup. I see what you mean about that weld. Maybe a dremel on the inside "lumps" to smooth things out wouldn't hurt. Jim Gravana is a good guy....he will come through for you.
    My bro has been pretty impressed with those guys. They offered up the new T as he was on the phone placing the order. The thing with that original T is that I can definitely make it work if we have to by grinding the inside but this CAI ain't a $100 lid. The thing is expensive and that's a pretty sorry looking weld for such an expensive piece.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I lived in Santa Clarita where he is...actually Gravana was at the bottom of the hill down from my house.....1st class outfit and people....

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

yea that is shitty welding either he had the amps and speed set wrong, or just went way to slow, there is a lot of pentration there.....too much for that application

98 Formula
    06 duramax

for the record.....the weld wasn't done by gravana. I assume it was done by DMS.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

wanted to update this....he got his new T in from Gravana this week. He said the outside looks flawless but there's still some flash on the inside and they put a splitter inside the T to direct the air. I'll try to get a pic of it to post before it goes on the car.

Blue
    1999 Pontiac Bonneville

good write up. does this system have any advantages over the other cai systems available for the gto?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 383monte View Post
    good write up. does this system have any advantages over the other cai systems available for the gto?
    that's the argument of the year right there. I've saw people debate this back and forth but I will say that when I logged the car shortly after the install there was a pretty huge difference in IAT's on the car and the IAT dropped like a rock as soon as the car started moving so there's definitely cold air getting to it.
    That svede1212 over the radiator set up that GTO1 Ohio is running is the way to go I think if you have an 04. Not sure if he's making it for the 05-06 yet. My brother is thinking about selling this set up. He keeps his car extremely clean and doesn't like the dust this lets in plus he has to cover the nostrils in the hood when he washes it so he doesn't get water in there. The hood also pushes down on the rubber gasket to seal and it's leaving a mark on his hood insulator. He's just picky about that sorta thing.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

i like the front mount look of this system on a goat..minus how huge the box is..but i can see the benefit for sure with this system ..less distance to travel for the cool air..stays cooler...car is happy good write up orion

Thread Information