Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

DMS intake....

This is a discussion on DMS intake.... within the GTO forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I had looked down the front of his car to see if there would be a good way to get ...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I had looked down the front of his car to see if there would be a good way to get air from the bottom and there just isn't much space there to work with and have it look nice and not have to hack up half the front end. Then you look at the other cold air kits on the market and they're all just barely better than the stock box at least from what I could tell. The GTO is just just up shit creek as far as getting good air to the engine without having to fabricate shit all day long.

rednari
    Do not get frustrated. The DMS draws air through the vents, so the swirling effect is probably not as big a factor as with the OTR intake which draws air from the front and center of the car.

Also, unless you have a wind tunnel and other expensive equipment, the only way to determine which system is actually better is dyno the car after each mod, or better yet, check the ETs at the track. Tweak around with it, and let us know. The Aussie guys for instance, do not adhere to the swirling void theory. They believe the OTR intake, and keep in mind DMS is not a true OTR intake, provides ram effect and thus more HP.

I personally believe the swirling air phenomenum occurs at the front of the car. That is why I did the through the fender mod and took out the left fog lamp to increase draft. You also do not see hood scopes and the like on Nascars because they draw cold air from the bottom. Truly effective hood scoopes are large, look like the cowling from a jet engine, and are difficult to see around so they are used primarily for drag racing.

But I am open to any system which improves performance. I have had good gains from the through the fender system, but if the Aussies are right, then so be it. Also, if you decide to do the through the fender mod, you can buy the parts today from Hardcore intakes for about a hundred bucks, instead of putzing around with PVC pipes. With the kit, you can do the entire installment in about 2.5 hours. Let us know how the DMS works out.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

OK...buy/ship me a brand new one and I'll test it for you Orion on Allen Nelson's dyno....just cuz I'm a sweetie pie

Black
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    OK...buy/ship me a brand new one and I'll test it for you Orion on Allen Nelson's dyno....just cuz I'm a sweetie pie
    As we all know a dyno is a good place to start but when you are talking about air flow through hood scoops that is another subject. The majority of your hood scoops if you went back an tested them would show minimal gain and are more for looks. Particularly when you are talking about a daily driver or some sort like that not a full blown drag car. As rednari said why do you think those things are so big and tall and you can't see around them.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'm not sure if I can handle one more Captain Obvious explaining how the stock hood scoops are for looks. I get it, the stock scoops aren't really for ram air yet if you have 2 holes in something more than likely some air is going to find its way in there.

I'll be willing to bet with anyone in this thread that the IAT temps drop with the new intake. Sarge, I'll bet you a bottle of bbq rub.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by 2006GTO View Post
    As we all know a dyno is a good place to start but when you are talking about air flow through hood scoops that is another subject. The majority of your hood scoops if you went back an tested them would show minimal gain and are more for looks. Particularly when you are talking about a daily driver or some sort like that not a full blown drag car. As rednari said why do you think those things are so big and tall and you can't see around them.
    Well buy me a free one and send it to me....I'll test it in NASA's fucking wind tunnel....really.....trust me...send it to me....

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I'm not sure if I can handle one more Captain Obvious explaining how the stock hood scoops are for looks. I get it, the stock scoops aren't really for ram air yet if you have 2 holes in something more than likely some air is going to find its way in there.

I'll be willing to bet with anyone in this thread that the IAT temps drop with the new intake. Sarge, I'll bet you a bottle of bbq rub.
    Dont I owe you some rub anyway? Did I forget?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Dont I owe you some rub anyway? Did I forget?
    just busting your hump.....this whole thread is really pointless until the intake is installed and I can do some data log comparisons. Everyone is going to have their opinions on how well/poorly it functions. I want to see the data to back one way or the other before passing judgement.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Like I said earlier....it will be better than a stock setup.....Why you people run MAF's is beyond me anymore...SD is soooo much better....

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Like I said earlier....it will be better than a stock setup.....Why you people run MAF's is beyond me anymore...SD is soooo much better....
    Yes SD all the way F them mafs car is so much better tuned and the heat does not bother them as much.
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

wonder if someone can tell me how much air flows through mine the PBM custom hood?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Bunch?

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Bunch?
    lol dam it sarge not you ,hell mine flows air right through to the back, that an 04 hood with the scoops i made,my turbo air inlets are my forced air...was just seeing who would bite on that one..

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Yeah Allen Nelson installed/tuned a few STS GTO's....he quit though as the factory would not stand behind them....that and I think they pissed the boy off somehow.....But the rear turbo has the ultimate cold air intake for sure.....

98 Formula
    06 duramax

are you guys still here???? Don't you have something better to do?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I don't want to watch City of Angels with Mama....I cleaned out the garage today....took my angle grinder and cut that damn spare tire "holder thing" out of the middle of the trunk floor and then ground it down flatter than hell....hardwired my daughters radar detector so it goes off when she turns off the car and comes on when she starts it....took out the old KB Boost a Pump...didn't need it anyway....the Walbro 255 keeps everything at about 57lbs at WOT and 62lbs just cruising all on its own....A/F at WOT stays high 12's low 13's....grilled three monster NY Strips boiled fresh corn on the cob and asparagus with my bacon/cheese sauce.....just finished off a big hunk of apple pie and my homemade ice cream I made Friday.....sucking on a Marlboro and shooting the shit....

98 Formula
    06 duramax

sounds like a full day for someone your age.

I didn't do jack shit compared to you. Mowed the grass, helped the neighbors hull some corn, cooked dinner, worked on my tree stand, and kept the kids busy.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

LOL...yeah...and we men die earlier than the old women...and they say we don't do shit all day but play with our cars....

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

the shit we do for entertainment sorry orion I am watching would like to see if it helps,should but at what cost? kinda cool not every oher guy around gotz one then again thats why we all have the GTO,that and they are sweet rides...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information