Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DMS intake....

98 Formula
    06 duramax

DMS intake....

I'll have a install and review of this coming very soon. My brother ordered it yesterday so we'll see how it does when it gets here. It definitely looks the closest thing to an actual "cold air" intake for the goats. Pricey as hell though.

Nero
    2006 gto

Thats sweet lookin, but I can see why it would be pricey. Definitely let us know...

rednari
    I hope you intend to install it on a Goat with an 05 or 06 OEM hood. It is my understanding of the system that it draws air through the stock hood scoops. The system is not OTR (over the radiator), but through the scoops. Thus, an 05-06 OEM hood is needed.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yep, it's going on my bro's 06 but I also have an 05-06 hood on mine too.

I went to Playboy Mansion FantaZGuy28's Avatar

YJ
    04 GTO M6

The GTO has 2 options for "functional" ram air. The intake like that, or you could get the Banshee hood, where the scoop actually bends and forces air into the intake area.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by FantaZGuy28 View Post
    The GTO has 2 options for "functional" ram air. The intake like that, or you could get the Banshee hood, where the scoop actually bends and forces air into the intake area.
    I like that banshee hood. I almost bought one before getting my 05 hood. Timing wasn't working in my favor there and I didn't have time to wait for the hood and then have it painted and installed. I also realize the heat extractors are functional on that hood but I'm not a big fan of how they look on there. I would've rather seen one large vent or something versus the 3 small ones. I just ain't a big fan of those vents.

rednari
    Yes, the Banshee is a nice hood. It also has heat extractors near the top of the hood after the scoops. But, the intake scoops direct air through an under hood tunnel over to the placement area of the OEM intake.

It works OK with aftermarket CAI like K&N with an open filter since it directs air to it. You would have to modify the scoop tunnel, or block it off, so the scoop would feed cold air into the DMS system.

Personally, I kept the '04 hood and did the through the fender mod. I like the smooth lines on the '04. I also improved the '04 hood by first taking out the hood liner which holds in heat and weighed about 3-4 #s. Then I removed the firewall to hood gasket. This left a 3/4s inch air gap. This provides hot air with another escape route, out of the engine compartment and over the windshield.

I also lightened the hood by carefully (dremel tool) cutting away most but not all of the hood ribs. I left enough to keep it sturdy and so I could close it with one hand. I did not weigh the hood after modifications, but I think it is in the 25-27 lb range or about the weight of a fiberglass hood. You could also cut away all the ribbing and hinge assembly and pin the hood. Such a hood would probably weigh 10-12 pounds, but that's too radical for a daily driver.

The hood mods saved the cost of a fiberglass hood and the cost to install and paint it, or about a 1000 bucks. Instead, I spent the money on go fast items. BTW, I did not dyno tune the car after installing the through the fender mod, but anyone could feel the difference.

Let us know how much HP you get with the DMS. I like the through the fender mod, but always felt the direct ram effect might add a couple of HPs. Let us know how it works out. Red.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

I saw this setup a few years back wanted one then,no need with the twins,but if I were NA looks like a good setup,did wonder bout all the heat from the radiator an how they handled the Maf sensors with the built in IAT,heat soak is a problem on these cars so i am wondering what this does in the performance area.the first real cold air intale was the one I made out of the factory box added a K&N air cleaner to factory box and took out bottom air plug leading up into the radiator cover and placed a 3 inch cold air tube into it then ran down under car picked my car 2 thenths in the 1/4 cost me $50 most of cost was K&N.best thing you can do fo these cars is a relocated IAT and a tune.stock that is.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

well, the maf is only a couple inches from the radiator as it sits stock so I can't see much difference in the location really. I just don't see how this intake couldn't help out some due to the fact that you'll be sucking fresh air with it and there's a much shorter time the air is in the tube. We'll see though. He got a call from Gravana yesterday and they said they were waiting on a piece of the kit from DMS or something.

rednari
    Yes. The intake track is very short, so I do not think heat soak is a problem unless you are stuck in traffic. But heat soak happens to any system with long tubes, such as the OEM or most aftermarket systems.

While my through the fender mod provides cold air, I had to wrap the tube, and if stuck in traffic, the IATs still climb well above ambient temperature. So, with a little quality insulation on top of the radiator, I think heat soak will be less of a problem with DMS system because of the short intake track.

Also, going Mafless eliminates a restriction point. IAT sensor placement is not an important factor either. A good tune, here a speed density tune, stops the computer from retarding the motor when air temps rise. My tune for instance, hits 34 degrees advance at 2500 RPM and maintains it regardless of air temps.

That's not to say intake air temps are unimportant. The entire purpose of modifying the intake is to find cold air. But with a tune, the IAT sensor is taken out of the equation and has no affect on spark advance.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

My concern with that design is the air pocket created in the front of the car at any speed over 40mph...it creates a "swirl/vacuum" right at the front top of the car.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    My concern with that design is the air pocket created in the front of the car at any speed over 40mph...it creates a "swirl/vacuum" right at the front top of the car.
    yeah, I've read all the aeronautical engineer stuff about it too. Where does it get air from stock though? Out of a 1/8" crack between the hood and front bumper.....this has to be much much better bubble or not. You're still gonna get air rushing into those scoops and it should be nice and fresh.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    yeah, I've read all the aeronautical engineer stuff about it too. Where does it get air from stock though? Out of a 1/8" crack between the hood and front bumper.....this has to be much much better bubble or not. You're still gonna get air rushing into those scoops and it should be nice and fresh.
    No the very reason the intake is on the side is that is where the best "force" is.....in the center of the car is where the swirl/void/vacuum is on the GTO....that is why the LeMans/Daytona GTO boys have the "ghetto" intake....in the drivers side wheel well....in wind tunnel testing it clearly shows the void right in the center of the car....notice how our nose sticks out and then tapers back towards the sides.....the air follows that...Even the Banshee hood scoops are literally worthless over 40mph....that is why we have modified the side vents Big difference....look at your stock intake...see the big holes in the bottom! That is where the air is coming from...the side/bottom....not from the crack between the hood...
    Now I dont want to be a wet blanket at your intake party so I'll just say it sho nuff is purty

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

And for the record we originally put the oil cooler sorta in the bottom center.....moved it all the way to the right and bought us about 10-15 degrees cooler oil temps from about 20 inches of moving it to the right.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

from what I could tell though the 06 has a snorkel that takes air from vents in the top of the radiator shroud. It's a little different set up than the 04's. My 04 took it from the front quarter panel but the 06 is different. Both have the vents in the top of the radiator shroud but the 06 actually uses those to get air. Air is fed to that from above the headlight as far as I could tell.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'll log the car before and after and look at IAT readings and let you know what they say.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Drink beer instead. I'm sure it is better than stock.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Drink beer instead. I'm sure it is better than stock.
    I'll be doing both. I can read drunk....well, sorta.

I'm sure it'll be better than the stock set up, I'm sure there will be no ram air effect and I'm also sure it's probably not worth the money he paid for it but it's his money and his decision. All I can do is log it and see if the iat's come down and see how it works out for him. I really don't see any way that the iat's won't drop. It should be getting a pretty decent dose of fresh air compared to where it's drawing from now. I understand that air isn't going to just ram into those nostrils but at the same time the engine is sucking air so it's going to get some through there I would think. We'll see, I'm just an observer and my opinion won't be biased either way but it'll still just be my opinion.

Black
    2006 Pontiac GTO

That is why they place the vents there. The main purpose of those nostrils on the hood are one to help the looks and two to remove heat from the engine compartment. I don't think you will get much air flow through them at speed as Sarge said.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Looks...you got it....no engineering advantage....draw the cold air from the bottom of the car....

Thread Information