Thread: In a Dilema

Prowler Orange
    93 Trans Am

In a Dilema

With my 03 cobra on its way out. I'm going ls1 again. I've come to realize I am never going to be satisfied and will become bored with everything in time. My dilema is I am thinking about a high mile ls1 z-28 6 speed of course. Since I'm going to build a motor,tranny and rear end anyway. Yet I love the gtos and have kicked around the idea of getting one several times. My questions are the weight differences and I hear the gto is a traction impaired vehicle. I've had a f-boby many times before and know you can get them to hook like a monster out of the hole with the right suspension combo. The gto however I don't know. Just looking for imput on what direction to take. I know just buy a C6 but funds are limited at this time.

Thanks
    Dennis

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Well Dennis...the GTO is a totally different animal than the FBody for sure (as you know)....but it doesn't take all that much to get in around 3500lbs/600RWHP and hook up....around $50K
    Seriously....Set of Adjustable Koni's/Pedders drag springs/Harrop Diff Cover and you hook good....

red
    2000 camaro ss

w/ limited funds i'd get the f-body. gto is real nice but you'll get farther for less money w/ a ls1 z or ss.

Nero
    2006 gto

Ive driven my buddy's Camaro from RI to FL and back, and I now own a GTO that I've put 12k on in the last year; the GTO is waaay easier to drive, IMO. Its got that raw power feel to it, and its as comfortable as any car I've ever been in. My vote would be to test drive a GTO and an F-body within a few hours of each other, to get a good contrast. GTO's can be simply devastating from a dig with the right suspension mods.

Sarge, you're joking about $50K, right??

red
    2000 camaro ss

brand new gto + mods for 600 horse + suspension. . .he rounded up to a close 50 grand. definately 50 grand if you pay someone else to do all that work. . . .

back seat of a gto is the most comfortable seat i've ever sat in.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

GTO FTW if you have to choose. I have way much more fun driving the GTO than the T/A. Better all around car. It all depends on if you want a daily driver that is fast or a race car. My T/A is faster but less comfortable and has more issues (lights/window motors/interior stuff) The GTO is definitely built better than the f-bodies. I do love them both. I thought about selling the T/A but couldn't bring myself to do it.

It is nice to be able to go outside and get in my car and drive wherever without worrying about what is going to break next. (and I take care of my cars it is not due to negligence that stuff broke on the T/A)

If you are going to get one, get a low mileage GTO IMHO.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by PatrizioD View Post
    Ive driven my buddy's Camaro from RI to FL and back, and I now own a GTO that I've put 12k on in the last year; the GTO is waaay easier to drive, IMO. Its got that raw power feel to it, and its as comfortable as any car I've ever been in. My vote would be to test drive a GTO and an F-body within a few hours of each other, to get a good contrast. GTO's can be simply devastating from a dig with the right suspension mods.

Sarge, you're joking about $50K, right??
    Mama wishes I was joking....but no I have that in Oprah.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by side2000 View Post
    brand new gto + mods for 600 horse + suspension. . .he rounded up to a close 50 grand. definately 50 grand if you pay someone else to do all that work. . . .

back seat of a gto is the most comfortable seat i've ever sat in.
    $20K in motor
    $6K in trannie
    $3K in driveshaft/rear end/wheels/tires
    $5K in suspension/brakes/rollbar etc.
    $8K in body/chassis/fiberglass/paint etc.
    rest I probably underestimated...all the gauges/coolers/lines/stereo/ignition/batteries relocated blah blah blah
    Nelson did most of the work on the motor/tuning etc. I've done the lions share myself.....but hey.....you should drive this thing
    Leather seats/surround sound/Air Conditioning and run high tens all day every day......looks like polished black glass....rides great and comfortable...and is mean as hell....

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Or he can buy one of my twin turbo kits,and have any power level he wants,mine is well over 700hp o the rear tires.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

It depends on what your main purpose of the car is IMO. If you want a straight line drag car I would personally go with an f-body but if you want something that can also turn and has the best interior GM has ever produced I would go with the GTO. The GTO is much more refined than the f-body but like I say if I were building something to use as a drag car it would be an f-body.

Junior Member east TX muscle cars's Avatar

orange
    2005 corvette 2004 gto

or you can just buy a car all done from us. i can get you in a 04 gto with a brand new 408 stroker(fully built with heads and all, with a single 76MM turbo. 315 tires 17X 11 wheels. new clutch/or trans and stall/trans/rear end for under around 40K and you will have a 9 sec car with 1000RWHP. and still get 20+ MPG!!!!

all parts would be brand new! and thats the car also!

Thread Information