Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Diff Fluid

This is a discussion on Diff Fluid within the GTO forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Didnt want to start a new thread on this same subject, so I'll post here. I just ordered 2 qts ...

Nero
    2006 gto

Didnt want to start a new thread on this same subject, so I'll post here. I just ordered 2 qts of the Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-140, and am planning on doing a fluid swap in the Goat. Has there been any kind of updates or breakthroughs since the last posting on this? I just want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to prolong the life of a part as finnicky as our rear ends can be. Im in a 2006 M6 GTO with just under 58k on it, and to my knowledge the diff has never gone through a fluid change. Thanks!

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

No your good. No New world break throughs on diff fluid yet.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by PatrizioD View Post
    Didnt want to start a new thread on this same subject, so I'll post here. I just ordered 2 qts of the Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-140, and am planning on doing a fluid swap in the Goat. Has there been any kind of updates or breakthroughs since the last posting on this? I just want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to prolong the life of a part as finnicky as our rear ends can be. Im in a 2006 M6 GTO with just under 58k on it, and to my knowledge the diff has never gone through a fluid change. Thanks!
    I recently changed the fluid in my friends '05 GTO and we used Redline Heavy Shockproof gear oil. Its full synthetic, and rated as having the friction of a 75W-90 but with the protection and film of a 75W-250 gear oil. Its a very thick, viscous red gear oil with less of a pungent smell than standard gear oil.

The stuff is pretty amazing, it coats everything extremely well and really quiets down the rear in general, especially helical gear posi units (like Torsens and TrueTracs). Its also great for rears that see a lot of abuse, Redline claims that it significantly decreases the change of gear breakage due to the cushioning effect of the oil and additives on the gears and bearings.

I just changed my 10 bolt over to Heavy Shockproof too, its amazing stuff. You can usually find it at most speed shops or online for about $13.50 per quart, which is very reasonable.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information