Nero
    2006 gto

Couple of stupid brake questions...

The brakes on my 2006 GTO m6 squeal. I mean they scream at low speeds, mostly from the front from what I can tell. I've replaced the pads (Monroe Ceramics) and rotors (Centric Premium) and used plenty of brake grease, and the CRC De-Squeak silver spray, and the sound persists after over 100 miles driven. Looking at the rotors, I can see a clear reflection of my finger from about 2 inches away, leading me to believe they're glazed. This leads me to my questions...
    1.Whats the best way to deglaze the pads/rotors? Ive read answers to this online, but I'd prefer it from someone who knows our cars. You never know what tiny tricks can make the big difference.
    2.What is this thing?? I have a feeling its related to the squealing problem, and I kind of feel like an idiot for not having it on the car. It came with the Monroe pads for the front. Its about 3" long by 1.25" wide.

My guess is that the little tabs on the bottom are placed on the inside edge of the tab on the top of the brake pads, to be used as a type of spreader. But I've never seen or installed these in my time as a low level mechanic, so I just dont know. Any help or input is appreciated!

Bright Red
    1998 Firebird Formula LS1

Those clips are what holds the pad to the caliper, isn't it? They are also supposed to tell you when your pads are low....the little part that hangs down, will drag on the rotor, causing a squeel, letting you know it's time for pads (if that's the part I'm thinking it is).
    But I think your squeeling is probably coming from the rotors themselves. How many miles are on the rotors? I would have them turned/resurfaced by a brake shop.

Nero
    2006 gto

The rotors have less than a thousand miles on them, i can still see the original milling on them. I'm going to fiddle around with it tomorrow and see what I can do with some sandpaper and elbow grease.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

those look like pad clips to me......are those not on there?

Nero
    2006 gto

Affirmative, the things pictured aren't on the car. Is been breaking fine, minus the squealing. Honestly I haven't been driving any farther than the corner store for cigarettes every other day. How are these supposed to fit in? I tried a few different ways, but it seems like theyre supposed to stick through the hole in the top of the caliper or something. Pictures would be a TREMENDOUS help.
    Last edited by PatrizioD; 03-15-2012 at 02:05 PM.

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Most aftermarket ceramic brakes will squeak like hell until they're really warmed up and prefer to be hot. It's very tough to have squeak free ceramics for normal every day driving. Stop & go could drive you crazy. IMO.
    Before I retired my career was in ultra luxury and performance cars. The everyday typical buyer with too much money and no car knowledge always wanted those ceramic brakes to show their friends. Never, ever, did they ask if it was a smart option. Nothing can beat them if you drive to the limit. The average owner would most likely never wear them out. The only street friendly ceramics I saw successfully used were on the Bentley GT Speed.
    Magnaflow Quad Tip, Lid, SBellow
    UMI: FTC, FSB, RSB, LCA's, PBAR, SFC's, T-Arm w/relo, D/S Loop
    Kooks LTH, 3" YP, H/F Cats
    Custom Grind Cam, Stall, 3:73 rear
    Bilsteins w/Strano Springs Conti Super Contacts
    TuneByFrost MSD Wires
    Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors w/Ceramic

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Just a thought maybe a bad wheel hub / bearing....might want to look into that

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Those are the anti-chatter clips, for lack of a better term.

They keep the pads from chattering when you hit bumps in the road.

I hated the ceramic pads on my 01 Camaro, they screamed constantly even with new rotors as I always replaced rotors when doing my pads.

Went to full metalics up front and semi metalics out back, never had another squeek and it stopped just fine.

I used to scuff the rotors in the old days with 80-100 grit sand paper to take the "shine" out and help seat the new pads.

Don't have to go crazy, just scuff in strait lines across the where the pad rides almost in a crosshatch pattern.

just my .02

Bright Red
    1998 Firebird Formula LS1

Yeah...I've done it with sandpaper too...back in the day. We would hit the rotors and pads...

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

What Smittro said. I have used sandpaper on rotors to stop the squealing. Install those clips and see if the squealing goes away. I guess I am the only one who hasn't had a squeal issue, but I run Wagner Thermo-Quiets all around.

Thread Information