Impulse Blue
    2005 a4 GTO

Coil pack upgrade

Been looking at the David Unified sultans of spark coil packs. Dyno claims that I've seen put this mod at a 26rwhp and 27tq upgrade. For 500 that doesn't sound bad at all. I know the OEM ones support a but load of power, but why not upgrade. Anyone have any info on these or other?
    2005 Impulse Blue GTO
    Kooks Longtube Headers (off-road mids) , SLP Loudmouth II Catback, Vararam OTRCAI, MSD Spark Wires, 238/242 .595, Trickflow 225cc Heads, SLP 25% UD Pulley, Breather, Elite Engineering Catch Can, 3200 TC,Hayden Trans Cooler, P&P TB, Dyno tune by Sunshine Performance

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

call me skeptic but I've never heard or seen a coil pack "upgrade" give that much increase in HP. I mean they are equivocating it to a FAST intake or P&P heads. Maybe a point or two, but 25+/-.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 08-13-2014 at 01:46 PM.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Another thing to keep in mind assuming those gains are true is at what power level and other mods were done when those gains were measured.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Impulse Blue
    2005 a4 GTO

That is true. And I believe lsx.com did the write up on a cts-v with an upgraded super charger. I'll definitely do more research before a purchase, but in theory these SOS coil packs sounds like they'd be more powerful and efficient.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by dethinboots View Post
    That is true. And I believe lsx.com did the write up on a cts-v with an upgraded super charger. I'll definitely do more research before a purchase, but in theory these SOS coil packs sounds like they'd be more powerful and efficient.
    I also know that a lot of these packs advertised gains are with an 18v upgrade...if I remember correctly you need one block per engine side so you would need 2 in the engine bay + the coil packs in order to reap the benefits. I dont think the coils alone will do it.

Honestly, the OEM coils on our cars and on our engines are great...MSD's fail left and right and 9 times out of 10 people who race our cars professionally use the OEM coils because they are simply better than most of the other ones. I've heard of quite a few people doing the "truck pack" upgrade...apparently the truck coil packs are supposed to be pretty stout, but i've never looked into it.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

IIRC the truck coils do very well because they have a better casing that resist heat soak over our style of coil packs.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    IIRC the truck coils do very well because they have a better casing that resist heat soak over our style of coil packs.
    I think you could get the same effect out of HP tuners without even changing the coils...if you can find somebody who knows that they are doing they can adjust the spark dwell time and basically get the same effect as "more powerful" coils.

Only difference would be the difference in heat soak.

Impulse Blue
    2005 a4 GTO

I think I'm going to look into all of that for the best solution. Don't get me wrong, I know these coil packs are amazing. But why not get better if it's out there?

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by dethinboots View Post
    I think I'm going to look into all of that for the best solution. Don't get me wrong, I know these coil packs are amazing. But why not get better if it's out there?
    Im all for better parts...im more of an electrical guy than a mechanical guy so I like stuff like this but I would verify that you do not need to do the 18v upgrade in order to reap the benefits. I really dont think buying just the coils will do it. The only question I would have with the upgrade is how long will it last at 18v?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the problem I have with upgrading coils falls squarely on the stock set up.....the stock coils fire at like 40k volts and 40mA through a 6" plug wire so it's a pretty damn good set up as it is. I would have to see some real test data done and documented correctly to believe 25+ HP from a coil only swap. That means don't do a dyno run in late august high humidity when it's 100 degrees out then swap coils in december and do another one and compare those numbers.

Impulse Blue
    2005 a4 GTO

the problem I have with upgrading coils falls squarely on the stock set up.....the stock coils fire at like 40k volts and 40mA through a 6" plug wire so it's a pretty damn good set up as it is. I would have to see some real test data done and documented correctly to believe 25+ HP from a coil only swap. That means don't do a dyno run in late august high humidity when it's 100 degrees out then swap coils in december and do another one and compare those numbers.
    I completely agree. i dont see anyone touching this though so ill have to be patient. Maybe ill come into some money and do the write for shits and gigs.

Im all for better parts...im more of an electrical guy than a mechanical guy so I like stuff like this but I would verify that you do not need to do the 18v upgrade in order to reap the benefits. I really dont think buying just the coils will do it. The only question I would have with the upgrade is how long will it last at 18v?
    I have no idea if that would need to e upgraded, or how one would even go about doing that lol. In the article i saw however it didnt say anything other than plag and play.

Thread Information