Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

clutch

This is a discussion on clutch within the GTO forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Guys I need your help; I recently replaced the slave and mastercylinder, upgraded to a zoom stage 1 cluth. When ...

NAVY BLUE METALLIC
    1999 FORMULA M6 HARD TOP

not going into gear

Guys I need your help; I recently replaced the slave and mastercylinder, upgraded to a zoom stage 1 cluth. When I picked my car up from the shop 2 months ago, it worked amazing. The mechanic said to break in the clutch for 500 miles so I did. When I came back from a short underway (I'm in the Navy) on my way home it was getting harder and harder to put it in any gear. When I got home I could not change gears at all. It is late so I have to call my mechanich tomorrow morning. What could be?
    Vr,
    Knight721

black
    02 ss camaro

Maybe some air trapped in the master,try and bleed it.

NAVY BLUE METALLIC
    1999 FORMULA M6 HARD TOP

That's what my mechanic said. I can start the car in gear and it will go. It is just a bitch to get to the bleeder screw. Thanks. I will do that today.
    KNIGHT X
    99 FORMULA M6 HT

NAVY BLUE METALLIC
    1999 FORMULA M6 HARD TOP

Cool

Well, My mechanic could not fix the car. He said that he put a new slave cylinder and the trany blew it up, he also said that they bleeded the system thouroughly and still don't know why it wont engage. I am deploying next week for a long time. But I will be able to check the site for any answers. Thak you all for all your help.
    Vr,
    Jose.
    Last edited by knight721; 05-17-2010 at 03:45 PM.

IBM
    2006 GTO

There are a lot of guys that will do the clutch replacement themselves.

You can do it in a garage floor on jack stands or you can get it on a 2 post lift and go to town. There is an issue with getting to one of the bolts on the top to drop the tranny with is one of the benifits of a 2 post lift so you can get to it. After that it is "easy". Most of the local guys here when they change the clutch, they put in an F-body slave cylinder and a speed bleeder. Now this is for a GTO, don't know much about the other cars. Either with way, best of luck figuring this out.

|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    04M6 GTO

Yeah . You guys know I don't post unless I'm certain of my input; in my case, I've replaced the slave twice in six years. Granted my clutch gets a fairly serious work out compared to the typical driver but the GM Slave Cylinder is just inherently weak it seems.
    The ususal symptoms for my 04/M6 consist of:
    Nutral-to-Gear stiffness (not going into gear easily)
    Gear-to-Gear difficulty (almost like the synchronizer is bad)
    Negligible clutch pedal travel (soft, or floppy clutch pedal)
    Empty fluid reservoir with no aparent leak (the slave leaks into the transmission)

In the final R&R I opted for the LS7 application. It was a simple donor-part with no fabrication necessary.
    Hope this helps.
    -Marc

PS:
    SoCar's right, by the way... In my case, I chose to leave the top right bellhousing bold out, and added the speed-bleeder with a 7 inch tube for reduced stress and bleed effort in the future.
    Last edited by ne0fiend; 06-15-2010 at 06:20 AM.

NAVY BLUE METALLIC
    1999 FORMULA M6 HARD TOP

Clutch Problem

Just came back from a 7 month deployment and 3 days later got right into working with my car. I bought the mighty Vac, and bleed the system, which it did have some air, but still it will not shift. the pedal fells good, I bougt the slave cyl from Summit, a lot of the car guys said that I should just get a GM slave cyl, chances are the Slave went bad after a couple of throws. I really don't have the money to start replacing parts and the Chevy dealer down the road is charging me $800. If you guys know what else it could be, I would really appreciate any sugestions. Thank you.
    Vr,
    Knight-X

Black
    2004 Gto

I had the same problem wit my clutch and slave! I replace the slave, clutch and the clutch master cylinder at the same time! The slave cause it has busted and leaked all over my clutch and ruined it. The clutch master cylinder cause it wouldnt let the Spec clutch disengage. Ticks Performance in NC are the only ones that offer and after market Master Cylinder which i highly recommend!

NAVY BLUE METALLIC
    1999 FORMULA M6 HARD TOP

Thanks Brother .

NAVY BLUE METALLIC
    1999 FORMULA M6 HARD TOP

Cool

Well another 3 weeks underway on the Carrier. While I was gone my wife took my car to the dealer and told them to fix it! when I came home she said she had a surprise for me, to go out and test drive the car. to my surprise, the car feels like new. I spoke to the mechanic at the GM Dealer and he said the last guy who put my stage one ZOOM Clutch, slave and master cilinder, did not resurface the fly wheel and it messed it up. So the dealer put a new fly wheel and slave cylinder and a throw out bearing. $1472 later (I can believe my wife paid with her own money for it) the car feels so much smoother. Another receipt for the car's file
    Last edited by knight721; 02-18-2011 at 03:38 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information