Phantom Black Metallic
    2005 GTO

"Check Oil" Displayed

Hello All,

Having an issue with a "Check Oil" message.... Not sure what to do???.... This is on my 2005 GTO....
    Oil level is good... message seems to be intermittent.... Sometimes goes off frequently.... sometimes not at all.... Have been told it is a faulty sensor but need more info.... I know this is not a good message, but am not sure if this means there is a problem with oil pick-up in the oil pan, if sensor is bad, or if there is another problem I am not aware of.... Plz help!

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Your pressure sender is on its way out. Are you getting an actual "CHECK OIL" light? Or are you getting the "SERVICE VEHICLE SOON" light? I know when my oil pressure sender went I got the "SERVICE VEHICLE SOON" light and scanned the car at my job and got a low voltage code. Ordered/replaced the sender and all is peachy.

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

Phantom Black Metallic
    2005 GTO

It's actually a "Chech Oil" message in the display.... Also, when searching for parts I'm finding two different types of sensors... on looks like a post that goes into the oil pan (two prong) and the other looks like a plug with a hole on the oil pan side (three prong).... is there a difference (other than the obvious) or will either work?.....

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

One might be for a gauge and the other for a light on the dash or level in the pan. Have you scanned the car at all?

Phantom Black Metallic
    2005 GTO

No... Not yet.... Just got the scanner n haven't had chance yet... will do it tomorrow after work.... friend of mine has an '06 Goat he wants to scan as well...
    Last edited by The Hulk; 02-04-2010 at 08:09 PM.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Have you ever reset your change oil timer thing doohickey? You know the gas pedal three times real fast process?

Phantom Black Metallic
    2005 GTO

Yes... Actually have done that several times (as the message comes up)...

Cosmos Purple
    2004 GTO M6

Do you have an oil pressure gauge installed on the car? The reason I ask is if for some reason you replace all the sensors and such and the Check Oil indicator still chimes at you. There may be an issue with the oil pump taking it's sweet time building pressure when you first start the engine.

I had the Check Oil indicator issue drive me nuts for awhile on my '04. I'd check the level. It would be fine. So I ignored it for the longest time. Sometimes I blip the gas pedal right after it fired up and there was no annoying Check Oil indicator. So after I installed the oil pressure/volt gauge kit into the car, I noticed the oil pressure took a long time to come up. So I replaced the oil pump along with many other goodies and that cured the problem for my situation.

Hopefully your issue is a sensor. But if not you know where else to look now.
    Good luck!
    04 Cosmos Purple M6, SAP Grills & Spoiler, '05 Hood, Procharger, TrickFlow 515 HP H/C Kit, SLP LT Headers/LM II, '05 Big Red Brake upgrade, Drag bags, Holden CV8R wheels, GMM Ripshifter. Tuned by New Era: 515 rwhp/471 ft.lbs. Retuned by J&J Speed: Speed Density tuned 586rwhp/ 492 ft.lbs.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2005 GTO

Hello All,

Just wanted to say thanks to all for your suggestions on my problem.... I have replaced the "Oil Pressure Sensor" on my car and this solved the problem..... Again, Thanks to all for your help and suggestions.....

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Glad to hear. Enjoy your car.

Thread Information