Check Engine - MAF and A/C

Hey everyone

Check engine light came in my 04 GTO last week but everything seemed fine; I headed to Autozone yesterday and my A/C stopped blowing cold on the way. Guy checked it and came up with problems for the mass airflow sensor and AC clutch relay control circuit. For the MAF I had used a recharge kit for my K&N and I guess I used too much oil and the little filaments were covered with it. I just used a q-tip to clean it off. Wil this be enough to solve any issues there?
    As far as the AC clutch relay control circuit has anyone had any problems with those? My ac has always blown cold and the weekend it gets up to 90 in Texas my ac stops working. Is this an easy/cheap part to replace or is it going to be an expensive hassle?

Thanks everyone for the help

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Get yourself some CRC MAF cleaner. Silver can. About ten bucks at your local parts store. Take the K&N and wrap in newspaper for a few hours if not overnight so the oil soaks into the paper. You'll be golden. Did you try switching or replacing the relay for your AC?

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

Mid Night Blue
    1999 Firebird 3.8 series

^^^^ +1

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

^^^^^^+2, be careful with the q-tip they can do a lot of damage, the maf cleaner it the best. What's crazy is the same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago cleaned my k&n and code came up for maf and ac, figured the oil from the k&n had done it's damage and cleaned everything up and the check engine light went out and the ac worked perfect, have no idea why both would be effected.

I switched the relay with the one for high beams. Lights worked with both the relays but the AC didn't. I bought some of the spray today and will try it out tomorrow. A little worried because when I used a q-tip the other day to clean off the filaments I wasn't very gentle at first and one of the filaments kind of bent out of place. I pushed it back and nothing tore off or anything, but I hope I didnt trash my MAF.

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by wonderboy View Post
    I switched the relay with the one for high beams. Lights worked with both the relays but the AC didn't. I bought some of the spray today and will try it out tomorrow. A little worried because when I used a q-tip the other day to clean off the filaments I wasn't very gentle at first and one of the filaments kind of bent out of place. I pushed it back and nothing tore off or anything, but I hope I didnt trash my MAF.
    Me too,They are very touchy and if i remember right works with vibrations, air flow and temp, don't quote me on that one but very sensetive little shits, hope it's OK!

I used the cleaner on the MAF today. Unfortunately I may have other issues. When I had the codes read we opened the hood and the tube connecting to the K&N filter was disconnected. When I took off the MAF today there was an area that was worn down pretty bad. Looks like it had been rubbing against the belt for a few days. When everything is connected there is no metal exposed or anything so I'm hoping its not shot but Im not going to hold my breath. Check engine light is still on. Is there any way to tell if your MAF is actually working? If you unplug it the computer just reverts to some backup program right? Any suggestions....

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

If it's the tube that runs to the elbow part of the cold air intake, then, most likely it is causing a leak thus tripping the SES light. MAF code. You might be able to splice some vacuum hose onto the tube and run plastic tubing of the correct diameter into the intake elbow.

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

If cleaning the sensor is the fix it could take up to a few hours or more to clear the code without a scan tool. If you have acess to one that reads more than just codes you can pull up the data stream and see what your maf reads. If low readings are coming from the maf verify any vacuum leaks or the cold air kit is sucking in air after the maf. If no such conditions exist the maf is shot or wires were damaged. Check your a/c fuse also for the a/c code but some cars a maf code will set other codes as well

Thread Information