mannyGTO

Check Engine Light

Hey guys/ i have a 2004 gto and i installed the k & N CAI 2 days later i got a check engine light/ any clues on what this could be?

Devil Yellow
    The boss tells me to pass along this,
    From Sarge:
    Pull your fuse box cover in your passenger side engine bay.....there is a red 10V fuse....with the car off and the key out...pull that fuse out.....now turn your key on ( do not start the engine)....let it cycle the computer...you will get an error....See Dealer...and your fuel guage will go from showing fuel all the way down to nothing....turn the key off....take the key out....replace the fuse and the fuesebox cover..start up your car...let it idle WITH THE AC ON FULL BLAST AND THE REAR WINDOW DEFOGGER ON ......let it idle for about two three minutes....turn off the A/C and the Rear Defogger...let it idle another few minutes.....put it in gear and go out and drive it like you stole it......see if that doesn't cure your problem.....your letting the computer relearn the new CAI setup.....

Dangerous2001
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyGTO
    Hey guys/ i have a 2004 gto and i installed the k & N CAI 2 days later i got a check engine light/ any clues on what this could be?
    mass air flow...

we had a guy bring one into our shop that he put a k&n on and put the mass in the wrong place and rubbed a hole in the trans cooler line.. so be careful

mannyGTO
    you mean he put the mass air flow sensor in the wrong place? or the mass airflow completely bad

Dangerous2001
    the guy thta came into my shop put his to close to his cooler lines not allowing for any movement so it rub a hole in his cooler lines...

did you dry the filter out before you put it on??

mannyGTO
    mine was completely dry i had it in a box for over 3 months just never had time to put it on

Dangerous2001
    hmmm could be lots of things..

mannyGTO
    maybe i need the computer tuned

mannyGTO
    witchblade i tried your advice and it did work, the light does come back after a day or so im going to try it again and take a closer look at the engine
    Last edited by mannyGTO; 11-22-2005 at 12:56 PM.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I must be drunk!...or in a bad dream....
    "I had it in a box for 3 months and put it on. It is dry."
    Ugh....excuse me...but a guaze filter not oiled is worth bubkis....put your stained BVD's around the intake pipe and secure with a tie wrap....just as good.....that is why the rocket scientist at KN provide the filter oil...and they made a silly ass assumption folks could (A) Read (B) Read English (C) Follow instructions written for a 3rd grade child severly brain damaged.
    "A guy put his on and it rubbed a hole in his trannie line."
    Lord...it is me...Sarge.....please give me strength...Amen....you imply all KN's rub holes in trannie lines? Hhhhmmmm? Or are you trying to speak and say...an idiot installed his KN...and when this idiot installed his MAF he paid no attention at all to the angle of the MAF in the intake tube and the engine torque eventually rubbed a hole in a trannie line....????? Or are you saying all KN's rub holes in trannie lines?
    Did you reset your PCM?
    Did you install per the INSTRUCTIONS?
    Did you oil your filter?
    Did you angle your MAF as not to rub against the trannie lines per the clear and precise instructions?
    DID YOU RESET YOUR PCM?
    What advise worked?

mannyGTO
    I GOT IT! the line was right on top of the mass air flow/ so i put it under the mass air flow as how the pictures show, and reset the pcm and that did it!!! hooray! lol sorry sarge im 19 and a pussy to touch my car lol i barely drive it hard lol but yea i got it already Thanks guys!

Dangerous2001
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge
    I must be drunk!...or in a bad dream....
    "I had it in a box for 3 months and put it on. It is dry."
    Ugh....excuse me...but a guaze filter not oiled is worth bubkis....put your stained BVD's around the intake pipe and secure with a tie wrap....just as good.....that is why the rocket scientist at KN provide the filter oil...and they made a silly ass assumption folks could (A) Read (B) Read English (C) Follow instructions written for a 3rd grade child severly brain damaged.
    "A guy put his on and it rubbed a hole in his trannie line."
    Lord...it is me...Sarge.....please give me strength...Amen....you imply all KN's rub holes in trannie lines? Hhhhmmmm? Or are you trying to speak and say...an idiot installed his KN...and when this idiot installed his MAF he paid no attention at all to the angle of the MAF in the intake tube and the engine torque eventually rubbed a hole in a trannie line....????? Or are you saying all KN's rub holes in trannie lines?
    Did you reset your PCM?
    Did you install per the INSTRUCTIONS?
    Did you oil your filter?
    Did you angle your MAF as not to rub against the trannie lines per the clear and precise instructions?
    DID YOU RESET YOUR PCM?
    What advise worked?

wow... i never said that all of them will do it....
    i just said a guy brought one in the shop like that... so before you jump on someone.. ask the simple fucking question of what i was talking about....

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by witchblade
    wow... i never said that all of them will do it....
    i just said a guy brought one in the shop like that... so before you jump on someone.. ask the simple fucking question of what i was talking about....
    You mean I should respond "what are you talking about" after each of your post?
    OK....you implied 100% of them do it...or should I say it would be easy to read that from your original post. Many times folks read something on the internet and voila it becomes gospel. Makes me crazy....oh well...it is the internet....we are both just trying to help this kid I know....I apologize if you took it I was "jumping" on you...I wasn't....fair enough?
    Now the ball is in the original posters court....

Dangerous2001
    it's all cool.. i was just making the statement as to what i seen happen. and being since i work for pontiac.. i have seen it on a few gto's but in no way implying that everyone does it.. were cool it's all good... hopefully he has his problem fixed

mannyGTO
    i got it fixed, i had the line on top of the mass air so it would get hot, i put it under where it originally should have gone and that solved the issue.

Dangerous2001
    feel special you have everyone fighting over you....

Thread Information