Can the stock 17" gto rims be polished?

This is a discussion on Can the stock 17" gto rims be polished? within the GTO forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I am wondering if anyone has had their stock rims stripped and polished? Does anyone know if it is even ...

Yellow
    2005 GTO M6 - One of 498

Can the stock 17" gto rims be polished?

I am wondering if anyone has had their stock rims stripped and polished? Does anyone know if it is even possible?

I have the stock 17" GTO rims for 2005, I think these rims are great looking. I past lifes, I have seen hot rodders take aluminum rims like this and have them polished up, I personally think a polished aluminum rims looks much better then chrome or obviously the original silver paint.

Thanks for your help...
    Last edited by TheJudge05; 04-09-2010 at 09:17 AM.

I f@#ked the prom queen RoadWrath04's Avatar

drivers' morale daily.
    Destroying Mustang-

i have a guy locally that is going to powdercoat my stock rims...saw a set that he did to look like black chrome (powdercoat charcoal with a pearl clear-coat i think), and they look damn good...plus, from what i've heard, it's a really solid finish that is hard to scratch or flake, so it should last...maybe you can get a powdercoat silver??? just an idea

hugger orange

Yup you can strip and polish them... It will take a while but can be done

If it's aluminum it can be polished.

I've seen the SS camaro 10 spokes done that way and it looked sharp. The silver paint was left on the inner portions, and only the outside spokes and wheel lips were polished.
    I was planning to send mine out to have the same thing done since I can't find a nice set of chrome versions.

Yellow
    2005 GTO M6 - One of 498

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    If it's aluminum it can be polished.

I've seen the SS camaro 10 spokes done that way and it looked sharp. The silver paint was left on the inner portions, and only the outside spokes and wheel lips were polished.
    I was planning to send mine out to have the same thing done since I can't find a nice set of chrome versions.
    Nice, let me know who you find as an option for finishing.

hugger orange

We have Transwheel here in Williamsport, md. They fix, straiten, polish, and refinish wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJudge05 View Post
    Nice, let me know who you find as an option for finishing.
    I was going to use a local polishing guy here that does all sorts of aluminum. He had quoted me $65 per wheel a while back.
    I figure that sure beats the heck out of me doing it, and alot cheaper than I can find used beat up chrome wheels for.

Yellow
    2005 GTO M6 - One of 498

Great, thanks for the info...

drivers' morale daily.
    Destroying Mustang-

65 a wheel isnt bad, just make sure you check out some of the wheels he's polished in the past...my friend just used a "local guy" for his vette rims, and i'm surprised he hasnt been found dead in a ditch yet, terrible markings in the finish...

Black
    2004 GTO A4

Uh, $65/wheel is way too cheap. I just got a quote from a local shop that specializes in polishing rims. He quoted me $175/wheel + mounting & balancing. I think it was around $800 OTD.

The issue with the 17" GTO rims are the area where the spoke meets the hub. There is no good way to get a polishing tool in that area. You will end-up with a stippling look.

I am leaning towards powder coating my rims in a metallic shadow gray. Gives the look of black chrome.

Haha, man that's way too much money to polish wheels,,,$175 each

I'd do it myself for that kind of money. Or I could go out and buy chrome SS 10 spokes if I wanted to spend $800,,,,,OUCH!!!

The guy runs a polishing business where I'm going to take mine. Nice looking stuff comes out of there so I feel I'm okay.

I'm not familiar with the center of the GTO wheels, but on my SS 10 spokes there is a chrome center cap that pops in the center,,,and the spokes just blend with it. So there is no real difficulty polishing anything.
    Plus the fact that I'm leaving the factory silver on the insides of the spokes. All I am getting polished is the outer most portion of the spokes and the lip around the wheel. Both are very easy to access for polishing. Maybe that is where the price difference is. I've seen other SS 10 spokes done this way and it looked sharp.

I was never much for painted wheels, much less powder coating. Everything that I've ever had powder coated that was exposed to sunlight faded within a year. Stuff just never seemed to hold up well to UV rays. It is more chip resistant than paint however.

drivers' morale daily.
    Destroying Mustang-

maybe try powdercoat with an enamel clearcoat?

Thread Information