Thread: CAIs??

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

CAIs??

Good idea , bad idea .. Do they help, are they worth it ... Anybody got one ??

Cosmos Purple
    2004 GTO M6

IMO, if that is the only mod you plan on doing, I wouldn't bother. But you will pick up a little power.
    Now, if you plan on doing some exhaust upgrades like headers, cat back, and maybe a cam swap down the road and dyno tune session. By all means, get a CAI put on. They will all work together to get some decent power gains.

I have a K&N CAI on mine. That was the first mod I did. I really didn't notice any difference except I could hear the loud howl of air being ingested in the engine. Now I have the exhaust all done on mine and I can notice a definite increase in power. As money allows, I will continue with do a few more things under the hood. Next is a Stealth II cam for mine. Then it will go to the dyno to get things dialed in.
    04 Cosmos Purple M6, SAP Grills & Spoiler, '05 Hood, Procharger, TrickFlow 515 HP H/C Kit, SLP LT Headers/LM II, '05 Big Red Brake upgrade, Drag bags, Holden CV8R wheels, GMM Ripshifter. Tuned by New Era: 515 rwhp/471 ft.lbs. Retuned by J&J Speed: Speed Density tuned 586rwhp/ 492 ft.lbs.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

I wasnt really thinking of a HP increase as much as a MPG thing .. did you notice any there ??

Cosmos Purple
    2004 GTO M6

No, I didn't notice any gains in fuel economy. Even after doing what I have done to the car so far, the mpg hasn't changed. 17 mpg around town.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

did you ever change you air filter before putting on the CAI??

Cosmos Purple
    2004 GTO M6

Yep, I put a NAPA Gold air filter when I first bought the car. That was in the car for a couple months before I put the CAI in. Now it's in the basement with the stock air cleaner box.
    Everytime I fill up at the gas station I calculate my fuel usage. Whether it's the Goat, Vette, or one of the two trucks.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

By itself I wouldn't do it. Only when you go the heads/cam route would I even bother.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    By itself I wouldn't do it. Only when you go the heads/cam route would I even bother.
    So if I get a tune from your guys do I need to get anything else .. Im thinking maybe mufflers ..prob get it after Christmas ..

Thread Information