Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is bullshit

This is a discussion on This is bullshit within the GTO forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by PatrizioD Alright, I've been giving this tons of thought and figured Id take these steps... New tires ...

Recovering boost addict Fumunda's Avatar

PBM
    2004 GTO A4

Quote Originally Posted by PatrizioD View Post
    Alright, I've been giving this tons of thought and figured Id take these steps...
    New tires for the front (rear tires still have plenty of tread, another testament to my taking-it-easy on the road)
    Alignment with slightly positive adjustment to camber angle to around the 8.3 range
    Caster is the angle you want around the 8* range. Camber you want closer to 0*.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Fumunda View Post
    They have to be dismounted from the wheel and flipped the other way. It's a pain but when you start running 200-300 ea. dollar tires it's worth it.
    I hear ya. But that is a pain in the ars. I just keep up on the alignment about evey 4-6 months or so depending on how much I drive it. After two or three times they usually need replaced anyway. Depending on softness of course. But that's just me. To each their own I guess.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    He's wearin a studded collar and she's holdin the leash...maybe?

Oh man! Thanks for that picture!

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Oh man! Thanks for that picture!
    hee!!!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Fumunda View Post
    I am not disagreeing with the fact that the tire can make contact with the strut. However if you look at both of the pictures you posted the tread is worn down on the inside 3" of the tread due to misalignment (more tread depth toward the outside half of the tire). The strut does not make contact with the tire at the vertical arrow or between the horizontal arrows as I point out so alignment IS the culprit. If the camber was not so negative (the top leaning in) the tire would not be so close to the strut and prone to make contact. (that strut even looks bent)

Click for full size

My point was that regular maint. would have caught this sooner. I would bet that in either case the alignment had never been checked and that the tires in the pictures had 15 to 20k on them at least. I see it every day. Nobody wants to take responsibility for their own situation, it has to be someone else's fault.

But, it's all good. Everyone's just here to share,learn and enjoy.
    explain how I had the same rub in the exact same place and when I took it to the dealership the alignment was in spec? Do I have magical struts?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Talking

I'm just amazed you guys' did'nt feel it rubbing or hanging up in the steering wheel. Or even smell it burning or hear it when they were rubbing. I dunno though. Maybe a lower profile tire with a stiffer side wall would help?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'm just amazed you guys' did'nt feel it rubbing or hanging up in the steering wheel. Or even smell it burning or hear it when they were rubbing. I dunno though. Maybe a lower profile tire with a stiffer side wall would help?
    mine never wore down to the cords or anything. Just rubbed enough to where you could tell. I noticed it when I was rotating the tires. Then looked at the strut and saw the rub mark. I never felt anything out of the ordinary really.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    mine never wore down to the cords or anything. Just rubbed enough to where you could tell. I noticed it when I was rotating the tires. Then looked at the strut and saw the rub mark. I never felt anything out of the ordinary really.
    I hear ya. Just sucks that you guys are on you own with what to do about the stock set up. I think GM should have at least done something to help you guys. Maybe a different wheel, shim, or hub, something. That could kill ya the way it is. That should have never made it off the line like that. Good luck guys! WOW!

Recovering boost addict Fumunda's Avatar

PBM
    2004 GTO A4

explain how I had the same rub in the exact same place and when I took it to the dealership the alignment was in spec?
    There is a big difference between "in spec" and "optimal". See "tolerance".

Do I have magical struts?
    Yes... you have magical struts.

mine never wore down to the cords or anything. Just rubbed enough to where you could tell.
    So... If the alignment had been out of "spec", say the camber was way too negative, then it would have been rubbing more severely? Right, point 1.

I noticed it when I was rotating the tires. Then looked at the strut and saw the rub mark.
    So... While performing routine maintenance you discovered what could have turned into a much larger problem if not addressed. Good, point 2.

I never felt anything out of the ordinary really.
    It's okay, sometimes the meds take a while to kick in.

Quick
    2005 GTO

I don't no fumanda, I think your giving a little to much credit to the other mechnical components on the front suspension of our GTOs. For these two reasons.

1) The front and rear radius rod are just a piece of rubber holding in the lower suspension. As stock these are non-adjusting piviots. This contact points have been catagorized in the aftermarket market as a deficient performance product (especially under hard braking), and can stress over a inch in deflection from stress.
    2)The top strut mount are pretty flimzy as a stock item too, non-adjustable, and has the nature as a rubber mounted/bearing core bushing would,...buckle on /off strut alignment (under hard tousling).

Now lets say patrizoiD gets new tires and an alignment, and test out the new tires...HARD GeTs oN it.. HoLd On.. BAM!!!= radius rod, strut mount,(and other) piviots get stressed and they weren't ready for the BAM!!! Stress deflection in these bushings can cause strut rub and even temporary mis-aleigments.

Thats why I have a piggy bank on my desk
    BMR StressBar/Koni/Eibach,Hotchkis anti-sway bars, Full polys.energy, 18''w/Advan AD07's.BMRskid. K&NFIPK,B&Mshorty.

Quick
    2005 GTO

I would say thats the ticket patriziod. Hope it fixes it with the aleignment. Keep an eye on the markings especially when driving hard. Did you get that info a left on your page? Wrenched autosport seem like they know their stuff.

Nero
    2006 gto

Yeah I got the info, thanks Silver. I checked out all of the suspension components that I could by eye, and everything seems good. I cant see the strut mount to tell if it's collapsed, so Ill just have to wait on that diagnosis. I never really drive hard, mostly because Im paranoid about cops. It sucks because once this summer rolled around I was planning on getting on it hard, but now I dont know if something will just fail and end up killing me or totalling my car. Looks like Ill be granny-driving till I can get the whole Pedder's front end set up. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Nero
    2006 gto

Just felt like tossing this picture up... this is my driver's side rear tire, still the same one as when I bought the car. It was rotated from the front about 5k ago. As you can see by the amount of tread left, I do NOT drive hard, otherwise my rear tires would be as worn as the front. And yes the camera is tilted about 45 degrees...only way to get the right light on it.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

GAH!!!!! KDWS!!! I have meard MANY a bad experience with those tires on LS1GT*cough*. Those tires DO NOT last very long on our cars...even with a true alignment.

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

Nero
    2006 gto

Dude, what are you, some kind of CSI?? Yeah they are the KDWS, came on the Goat when I bought it. Ive peeled it out a few times from side streets onto the main road (Lotsa fun pulling a 180 skid then lettin go of the steering wheel) She always straightens herself out, its uncanny. Ill probably keep them on the back end till I start to lose grip. Any suggestions on a good value for the front? Id like to go with 235's, but Im still a noob and dont really know if that will screw with anything, having 235's up front and 245's out back. Probably not, but Id rather speak and be thought an idiot than be silent and remove all doubt (when something goes wrong).
    Anyone without a gun and a knife and a handkerchief and a chapstick get the F%$# out of here!

Quick
    2005 GTO

Yep dis tyre dis bad! But good tires to have on untill you have your front end put through its paces. This will insure it twus the aleignment and not bushings as it was in my front strutbushing=strutrub senerio...

Nothing special
    Nothing special

Pedders and 235's.

It will solve all your problems.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Hey that goes "Better to remain silent and look like an idiot, than to speak and remove all doubt!" LOL I dont think you're an idiot though. It's not your fault she's eatin your front tires..
    Last edited by Smittro; 04-14-2009 at 07:40 PM.

Nero
    2006 gto

Hey that goes "Better to remain silent and look like an idiot, than to speak and remove all doubt!" LOL I dont think you're an idiot though. It's not your fault she's eatin your front tires..
    Yeah, I believe it was Lincoln that coined that phrase you speak of, but I coined the noob code. I figure I dont mind looking dumb asking the stupid questions, because its worth it to have the right answers. As an update, I just ordered a pair of Yokohama S.Drives in 235/40R17 with a Y speed rating. They look good, lots of reviews from Germans in BMWs on the autobahn. Should be in by mid next week.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information