Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 59

This is bullshit

This is a discussion on This is bullshit within the GTO forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I have to agree with Mr. Vert. You may or may not have strut rub, but that is not what ...

  1. #21
    Recovering boost addict Fumunda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Surprise, AZ
    Posts
    27

    PBM
    2004 GTO A4

    I have to agree with Mr. Vert. You may or may not have strut rub, but that is not what happend to that tire and if you want good service out of your next set some habits need to be addressed. Please understand I'm not bashing on ya, just offering some friendly advise and observations that may help you enjoy your car more in the long run.

    How a tire is worn (or wearing) at any given time is like a report card and almost undeniable evidence when trying to diagnose a suspension/tire issue.

    Allow me to list a few things a technician is going to discern from that tire.

    1. You have not had the alignment checked since you bought your car (should be done once every 12 months or 12-15k and your at 18k)
    2. You don't rotate your tires enough if at all (minumum should be every other oil change)
    3. Your tires are frequently under inflated (check them once a week, once a month min. and do it yourself, do not trust the jiffy lube guy to do it for you every three months)
    4. You enjoy driving your car in an aggressive manor (not a bad thing it's why we bought them right?)
    5. Chances are the other front tire looks alot like this one

    You get the idea. That tire is just plain worn out and it did not happen over night. That wear pattern has been like that for thousands of miles so whomever is servicing your car for you is not doing you any favors and should have caught that a long time ago.

    So get yourself some new skins, be a fanatic about your tire pressure and you will have much fewer issues down the road.


    _
    Last edited by Fumunda; 04-09-2009 at 10:17 AM.

  2. #22
    Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Paterson/Ridgewood, NJ
    Posts
    11,474

    Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Fumunda View Post
    I have to agree with Mr. Vert. You may or may not have strut rub, but that is not what happend to that tire and if you want good service out of your next set some habits need to be addressed. Please understand I'm not bashing on ya, just offering some friendly advise and observations that may help you enjoy your car more in the long run.

    How a tire is worn (or wearing) at any given time is like a report card and almost undeniable evidence when trying to diagnose a suspension/tire issue.

    Allow me to list a few things a technician is going to discern from that tire.

    1. You have not had the alignment checked since you bought you car (should be done once every 12 months or 12-15k and your at 18k)
    2. You don't rotate your tires enough if at all (minumum should be every other oil change)
    3. Your tires are frequently under inflated (check them once a week, once a month min. and do it yourself, do not trust the jiffy lube guy to do it for you every three months)
    4. You enjoy driving your car in an aggressive manor (not a bad thing it's why we bought them right?)
    5. Chances are the other front tire looks alot like this one

    You get the idea. That tire is just plain worn out and it did not happen over night. That wear pattern has been like that for thousands of miles so whomever is servicing your car for you is not doing you any favors and should have caught that a long time ago.

    So get yourself some new skins, be a fanatic about your tire pressure and you will have much fewer issues down the road.


    _

    Well stated. I check my air every weekend and I inspect the treadwear as well.

  3. #23
    Member GTO1_OHIO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Melbourne Beach, FL
    Posts
    588

    Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO

    But I can't rotate my tires. They are directional and staggered.

  4. #24
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,520

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    I would still bet money that there are rub marks on his strut from that tire. Under inflated, not rotated enough, worn out or whatever issue you can think of isn't responsible for that tire popping. It's because it was rubbing the strut. How many other cars has anyone on this board owned in their entire lifetime that had the front tire rub on the strut from the factory?

  5. #25
    Member PatrizioD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Anus of America; RI
    Posts
    381

    Nero
    2006 gto

    My air pressure is never below 32psi, although I try to keep it at 35-36. I bought the car with 12K on it, and had it aligned at about 25k, it now has 29k on it. I will NEVER bring this car back to Town Fair Tire. I do drive in a more aggressive manner than most, but certainly not as bad as I could. Ive never even brought the car above 4500RPM. Looking at the strut, I can SEE that it has rubbed the tire. Im not going to flat out say you're wrong, because you're not, all of those things you listed contribute to the problem I have. The only thing is, I HAVE had the car aligned and tires rotated (albeit not as frequently as I should).

    Looking at the front radius rod bushings, I can see they're off. I check these at least twice a week, as Im paranoid about suspension failure. Normally they would be basically flat against the rail, but they're not pinched at the bottom and wider at the top. Looking at the car from the side, front end to the left, it looks like =\) instead of =|)

    I agree that your points are well stated, and thanks for the advice. Im definitely going to keep a close eye on this all in the future.
    Last edited by PatrizioD; 04-09-2009 at 10:37 AM. Reason: My grammar and spelling suck when Im agitated

  6. #26
    Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

    Ed Blown Vert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    San Diego, Ca
    Posts
    50,748

    Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

    Side-to-side

  7. #27
    Recovering boost addict Fumunda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Surprise, AZ
    Posts
    27

    PBM
    2004 GTO A4

    Quote Originally Posted by PatrizioD View Post
    My air pressure is never below 32psi, although I try to keep it at 35-36. I bought the car with 12K on it, and had it aligned at about 25k, it now has 29k on it. I will NEVER bring this car back to Town Fair Tire. I do drive in a more aggressive manner than most, but certainly not as bad as I could. Ive never even brought the car above 4500RPM. Looking at the strut, I can SEE that it has rubbed the tire. Im not going to flat out say you're wrong, because you're not, all of those things you listed contribute to the problem I have. The only thing is, I HAVE had the car aligned and tires rotated (albeit not as frequently as I should).

    Looking at the front radius rod bushings, I can see they're off. I check these at least twice a week, as Im paranoid about suspension failure. Normally they would be basically flat against the rail, but they're not pinched at the bottom and wider at the top. Looking at the car from the side, front end to the left, it looks like =\) instead of =|)

    I agree that your points are well stated, and thanks for the advice. Im definitely going to keep a close eye on this all in the future.

    Your welcome. Good job on the tire pressure and you definately need to find a new alignment tech. With 4k on an alignment they for sure did you no favors.



    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I would still bet money that there are rub marks on his strut from that tire. Under inflated, not rotated enough, worn out or whatever issue you can think of isn't responsible for that tire popping. It's because it was rubbing the strut. How many other cars has anyone on this board owned in their entire lifetime that had the front tire rub on the strut from the factory?
    As I stated the tire may be touching the strut, however it did not wear a 2" wide strip of rubber off of the inside of the tire tread (that would cause a fair amount of smoke and possibly flames ). The tire "popped" because it was driven through the tread, through the carcass, through the cords and finally through the inner liner thus exposing the air in the tire to atmosphere .



    Quote Originally Posted by GTO1_OHIO View Post
    But I can't rotate my tires. They are directional and staggered.

    I have the same problem on my Supra, have to flip and cross 'em once in a while.


    _

  8. #28
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,520

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    Quote Originally Posted by Fumunda View Post
    As I stated the tire may be touching the strut, however it did not wear a 2" wide strip of rubber off of the inside of the tire tread (that would cause a fair amount of smoke and possibly flames ). The tire "popped" because it was driven through the tread, through the carcass, through the cords and finally through the inner liner thus exposing the air in the tire to atmosphere .
    It most definitely will wear that much off the inside of the tire.
    gto1's news report link
    http://www.newsnet5.com/news/13339904/detail.html





  9. #29
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    I have to agree with Ed on this one. There's probably no way they're going to replace a worn out tire with a new one. I dont think they'll even mess with the struts without at least good tires on it. Good luck though..

  10. #30
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    It most definitely will wear that much off the inside of the tire.
    gto1's news report link
    http://www.newsnet5.com/news/13339904/detail.html


    Click for full size

    Click for full size
    Wow! Looks like a miscalculation from GM engineers on what rim should have been used!

  11. #31
    Member PatrizioD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Anus of America; RI
    Posts
    381

    Nero
    2006 gto

    Jackasses at GM, thats what they are. We see now they cant run a business.
    One thing I wanted to clear up: My tire is still holding air, it never popped or lost pressure. I only noticed the gouge because of the slapping sound i heard for a few moments on the highway, then I checked the tire once I was at my destination. 3 miles from my house to where I heard the sound, which lasted 2 miles, then another 2 miles to my destination.

  12. #32
    Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Paterson/Ridgewood, NJ
    Posts
    11,474

    Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

    Quote Originally Posted by GTO1_OHIO View Post
    But I can't rotate my tires. They are directional and staggered.
    +1. My car has rub marks on the struts as well. The prev. owner aligned it and took pretty good care of it...even though the GMVIS takes up the entire page, haha. He left NO stone unturned.

    EDIT: PatrizioD, I see yer from Rhode Island. I know someone from up there. His name is Kurt aka Black Devil on LS1GT*cough*. He's good people. If ya know him, give him a yell. I call him the "MAD SCIENTIST" of Goats. He knows his sh1t. Built up his Goat himself.
    Last edited by cammed goat; 04-09-2009 at 02:28 PM.

  13. #33
    Member PatrizioD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Anus of America; RI
    Posts
    381

    Nero
    2006 gto

    Alright, I've been giving this tons of thought and figured Id take these steps...
    New tires for the front (rear tires still have plenty of tread, another testament to my taking-it-easy on the road)
    Alignment with slightly positive adjustment to camber angle to around the 8.3 range

    After that Ill drive it for a week or two and take it back to the alignment shop to see how well the adjustments held. If they;ve moved, Ill bring it to have the bushings and mounts replaced.

    This should probably go into The Herd. And Where the Hell is Sarge??
    Last edited by PatrizioD; 04-09-2009 at 02:37 PM.

  14. #34
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Directional tires can not be rotated side to side. Just front to back (same side) if they are not staggered. I have directional Kumho's with rotation arrows. If I was to switch sides the arrows would then face the wrong way. Just my 2 cents..

  15. #35
    Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Paterson/Ridgewood, NJ
    Posts
    11,474

    Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

    Dunno. Sarge went AWOL over 2 weeks ago. I hope he's alright.

  16. #36
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Dunno. Sarge went AWOL over 2 weeks ago. I hope he's alright.
    Maybe him and Mama went on vacation?

  17. #37
    Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Paterson/Ridgewood, NJ
    Posts
    11,474

    Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Maybe him and Mama went on vacation?
    He's wearin a studded collar and she's holdin the leash...maybe?












  18. #38
    Recovering boost addict Fumunda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Surprise, AZ
    Posts
    27

    PBM
    2004 GTO A4

    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    It most definitely will wear that much off the inside of the tire.
    I am not disagreeing with the fact that the tire can make contact with the strut. However if you look at both of the pictures you posted the tread is worn down on the inside 3" of the tread due to misalignment (more tread depth toward the outside half of the tire). The strut does not make contact with the tire at the vertical arrow or between the horizontal arrows as I point out so alignment IS the culprit. If the camber was not so negative (the top leaning in) the tire would not be so close to the strut and prone to make contact. (that strut even looks bent)





    My point was that regular maint. would have caught this sooner. I would bet that in either case the alignment had never been checked and that the tires in the pictures had 15 to 20k on them at least. I see it every day. Nobody wants to take responsibility for their own situation, it has to be someone else's fault.

    But, it's all good. Everyone's just here to share,learn and enjoy.

  19. #39
    Recovering boost addict Fumunda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Surprise, AZ
    Posts
    27

    PBM
    2004 GTO A4

    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Directional tires can not be rotated side to side. Just front to back (same side) if they are not staggered. I have directional Kumho's with rotation arrows. If I was to switch sides the arrows would then face the wrong way. Just my 2 cents..
    They have to be dismounted from the wheel and flipped the other way. It's a pain but when you start running 200-300 ea. dollar tires it's worth it.

  20. #40
    Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Paterson/Ridgewood, NJ
    Posts
    11,474

    Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Fumunda View Post
    They have to be dismounted from the wheel and flipped the other way. It's a pain but when you start running 200-300 ea. dollar tires it's worth it.
    OH MAN!!! I used to have to do that with the 80's/91 GTAs, Formies, Z28s and IROCs. SUCKED!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. bullshit!!!!!!!!
    By issues in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-13-2009, 10:54 AM
  2. Bullshit Man!!!
    By Mieux97 in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 08-02-2009, 09:57 AM
  3. F***ing Bullshit !!!!
    By blackSS01 in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-29-2008, 04:11 PM
  4. Bullshit Cop = Bullshit Ticket
    By Smkn_TA in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-23-2008, 07:30 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •