Thread: Brake lines

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Brake lines

Thinking about replacing the stock brake lines with the steel lines for a little more firmness. Anybody here do that and if so was it worth the time/money/effort?
    http://www.pfyc.com/store/merchant.m...ry_Code=GTSUSP

GOT BOOST?
    02 Vette-Black 618 rwhp

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Thinking about replacing the stock brake lines with the steel lines for a little more firmness. Anybody here do that and if so was it worth the time/money/effort?
    http://www.pfyc.com/store/merchant.m...ry_Code=GTSUSP
    Yes it was! I know I am going to be flying down the the quarter pretty quick in the future. I want my ass to be able to stop, and not worrying about stock lines failing.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Thanks for posting man...I have big ol BAER brakes and all....running Valvoline Synthetic brake fluid....but these damn ol GM brakes just feel "soft" and I heard some of the Fbody guys have had good luck with these steel brake lines firming thigs up....thanks man....

Phantom Black
    2004 LS6 GTO

I ended up doing the 05 brake upgrade, I found a complete set front and rear for 400.00 plus shipping on ebay then a set of bolt sleeves from a guy on Ls1gto.com. At the same time I ended up going with the Stop Tech SS lines and when I got it on the road I was amazed at how much better my braking was, but I cannot really give a direct comparison as I did the 05 brakes at the same time. But I can tell you that with the SS lines all I feel is instant brake clamping. I would say SS lines are a very good upgrade to complete your system.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I got em on the way....like $100 bucks for the two fronts....I'll let everybody know how well they work...

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Gonna swap the front and see if there is any noticeable delta....before going all the way around...hell 80% of the stopping power is on the front anyway...

Phantom Black
    2004 LS6 GTO

I went front and rear Stop Tech but the rear are like 125+ because they are a 2 piece per side design. As a matter of fact I ended up doing the front brakes and lines about 2 weeks before I put on the rear lines, and when I finally put the rear lines on I noticed some difference but very little.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Braided the way to go!!!

I did the swap on my 93 Mustang and I have BAER Brakes all the way around with 13" rotors on front and rear. It firms up the initial brake pedal hit....Be VERY careful Sarg with that synthetic D.O.T.5 fluid!!! It absorbs moisture over twice as fast as usual fluid so it must be changed avidly......Baer recommends staying away from it here in AZ unless it's a race car with fluid flushes every few races.
    Thats my 2 cents

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

rednari
    I have the Stoptechs on my car. I put them on when I installed C4 pads on the front of my 04. I could not tell the difference. But to be fair, I attributed the improvement to the pads. That is always a problem of course when you do two upgrades at once.

I think the OEM lines are OK for most members. For circuit racers, it seems like it would be a logical upgrade. But also be advised, I do not think BFGs are noisey, and I do not think the headers are loud either. Somebody who drove my car, a GTO guy, said the car had the 65 MPH shake when I never noticed it. So, maybe I not the right guy to offer a brakeline opinion, but you have my thoughts nonetheless.

Thread Information