Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

big coolant leak can't see from where?!

This is a discussion on big coolant leak can't see from where?! within the GTO forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 So did you start it up with water yet? i skimmed through the thread pretty quickly. ...

Torrid Red
    04 GTO m6

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    So did you start it up with water yet? i skimmed through the thread pretty quickly.

I'd look for a leak on the radiator since you think all the hoses are good.
    Continuing my work from yesterday, I pulled the radiator and flushed it with a garden hose; nothin! At least that I could see, maybe it wasn't high enough pressure. Crawled under the car to see if any of the lower hoses were cracked, still nothing, so I put it back together, filled it w/ 50/50 and started it up- it DID leak, but not until the upper radiator hose got warm....looked like it was coming in a steady drip from the back passenger side of the radiator, under the upper inlet hose. I'm gonna take it in

Torrid Red
    04 GTO m6

Alright It's the rad. Took it to a guy whos friends w my grandfather, so no diag charge, he hooked up a pressure tester to the reservoir and you could see antifreeze spraying out of the back passenger side....garden hose wasnt powerful enough! Now I gotta find a rad..

oh thanks for all the suggestions, the reason I didnt rent a tester myself is I'm waiting for a check (should be here tomorrow) and don't have the cash deposit to put down that most auto parts stores require

black
    01 SS

well its good to hear you found your leak, but sucks that you have a unexpected bill to fix the car now.. Good Luck

Torrid Red
    04 GTO m6

Quote Originally Posted by foxman92 View Post
    well its good to hear you found your leak, but sucks that you have a unexpected bill to fix the car now.. Good Luck
    Thanks, I found the leak by pressure testing it, its a tiiiiiiiny hairline crack on the pass. side of the plastic tank, which I am currently trying to patch while locating a radiator for under 400 bucks

Black
    2004 Monaro

The plastic side tanks are replaceable & aren't overly $$$. Would suggest getting both done at the same time though.

Black
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by ls1fan74 View Post
    Thanks, I found the leak by pressure testing it, its a tiiiiiiiny hairline crack on the pass. side of the plastic tank, which I am currently trying to patch while locating a radiator for under 400 bucks
    check out ebay. I found one for $138 with lifetime warranty. Put it in today and is working great. Looked exactly the same as OE.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by BKHgto04 View Post
    check out ebay. I found one for $138 with lifetime warranty. Put it in today and is working great. Looked exactly the same as OE.

That's a good find...

i know this is kinda ghetto, but is it in a spot where you could use JB weld or something?

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

That's a good find...

i know this is kinda ghetto, but is it in a spot where you could use JB weld or something?
    Duct tape, shrink wrap, lol....whatever the fuck fixes it, lol...or just find some radiator hose thats the same diameter..slip it up over it....tighten it down with some hose clamps, lol

i shouldnt give advice drunk

Torrid Red
    04 GTO m6

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    Duct tape, shrink wrap, lol....whatever the fuck fixes it, lol...or just find some radiator hose thats the same diameter..slip it up over it....tighten it down with some hose clamps, lol

i shouldnt give advice drunk
    hahah thats ok, most of the time when I take advice i'm drunk as well. F unemployment....

That's a good find...

I tried that yesterday and it didnt work, I used permatex liquid metal filler cause its "supposed to bond harder than steel" or w/e but it leaked right through! thanks for the ebay idea tho i did not think of that

Champagne
    2002 Chevrolet Camaro

Totally the same issue. I just don't get it. Replaced rad, thermo, hoses, water pump.......STILL FREAKIN LEAKIN..!!!!! Even went as far as to check the freeze plugs - nada. ......sigh...
    Any updates or suggestions would be groovy.
    Thanx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information