rednari

BFG Gforce Sports?

Does anyone have any experience with the tire? Most members would agree the KDWIIs are perhaps the best street tire available. They feature large block type treads for good traction, and unlike street radials, you do not have to get them hot before they stick.

The Gforce sports are of the same Gforce design as the KD series. So, I wonder if we could save a few bucks and not sacrifice performance. Your thoughts are appreciated, but lets try to remain focused and limit responses to those who have actual experience with these tires. Thanx, Red

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

I currently have a set of sports on the Camaro right now. I have not tried the KDs in a while but I think they are better then the sports. The sports do alright, but just not as good of a tire from what I have experienced.

rednari
    When you say not as good, do you mean traction or handling. Are the sidewalls stiffer?? Tire manufacturers use the same carcass for a particular series. So, for our purpose, the KD series, the same carcass is used for the KDs, KDWs, KDWIIs, and the Sports. The difference lies in the tread design and compound used for the repective tire.

navy blue metallic
    2001 trans am

5 got 30,000 miles off mine that astounded the guy at Sears when I replaced them with Goodyear F1's. They were the best budget tire I ever used but thought Id go higher end this time and see how they perform. My biggest complaint was those tires got LOUD after they wore for a few thousand miles but handled good and sidewall seemed sturdy under moderate load.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by rednari View Post
    When you say not as good, do you mean traction or handling. Are the sidewalls stiffer?? Tire manufacturers use the same carcass for a particular series. So, for our purpose, the KD series, the same carcass is used for the KDs, KDWs, KDWIIs, and the Sports. The difference lies in the tread design and compound used for the repective tire.
    Both for straight ahead traction and turns I don't feel the Sports as up to par with the KDs that I used to run (which was the older design). Granted for handling I have not really pushed the car that hard not many good places around where I live. Both are most likely very close, next time I plan on getting the KDWs instead.

rednari
    Alright guys. It sounds like the tires are great daily drivers, but a little short on all out performance, whether circuit or drag.

Sic, your comments regarding tire noise is a fairly common complaint with BFGs. They make more noise, but it does not bother me. I can hardly hear the radio, in my Goat, over the headers. How are the F1s working out ?

Bottesini, do you mean you had KDWs (killer dry wet) first, and now want to try the new style, block treaded KDWIIs. BFG makes an ultra high performance street tire called KD, which stands for (killer dry). They are the best street tire available but are not good in the rain. The KDWIIs offer slightly reduced dry performance while providing greatly improved performance in the rain.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by rednari View Post
    Alright guys. It sounds like the tires are great daily drivers, but a little short on all out performance, whether circuit or drag.

Sic, your comments regarding tire noise is a fairly common complaint with BFGs. They make more noise, but it does not bother me. I can hardly hear the radio, in my Goat, over the headers. How are the F1s working out ?

Bottesini, do you mean you had KDWs (killer dry wet) first, and now want to try the new style, block treaded KDWIIs. BFG makes an ultra high performance street tire called KD, which stands for (killer dry). They are the best street tire available but are not good in the rain. The KDWIIs offer slightly reduced dry performance while providing greatly improved performance in the rain.
    I had a set of KDWs but these were the older design (they lasted me 3 years even with racing and still had tread on them). Now I am on the sports. Would not mind trying the KDs but I need something that I can use in all of the weather we get here in Texas.

JOSEY FUCKING WALES! Frankthetank's Avatar

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

I got em on my car....I love em....tons of traction from a stop.....around turns and int he rain! and they last for a long itme!

TSP Rumbler, LT's, TSP Tqr2, PRC 921 Springs, Comp Lifters, Chromoly 7.4" Pushrods, Titanium Retainers/Seats/Seals, ARP head bolts, BMR full Rear suspension

"I could break a bowling ball with a plastic hammer in a sandbox"

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

This may be of some help to you....
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...ht=tire+review

rednari
    I would say the consensus indicates the preferred street tires are KDWIIs, and if you are on a tight budget, the sports work well too.

NOW, does anyone have experience with the KDs. While I am not a circuit guy, I am a streeter, circuit people believe the KDs are the best street tire available. The consensus among them is that if you want better performance, than what is offered by the KDs, you must upgrade to R compound tires. And if you want an unforgettable experience, try driving R compound racing slicks in the rain.

Black
    2005 Pontiac GTO

Just to throw in my 02. I was looking at the G-force sports or KDW2. I had some Bridgestone RE750 in 245/40/18 on my goat when I bought it. So after shopping around I found out that the RE750's were gone, replaced by the RE760 sport. I've had the 750's on my Nissan 240 and love them, they lasted a long time and I drove the s**t out of them.

I figured I'll give the NEW Bridgestones a shot. SO FAR, their GREAT! In the past on the 750's when I'd get on the gas I kick on the TC but with these 760's I haven't had ONE time where the TC would come on and I can feel them actual bite and HOLD! AND if they wear anything like the old 750's, the 760's seem to be a great tire....but just my 02. cents...

rednari
    Yes. The difference between the Sports and the KDWs lies in the tread design and compound. The Sports having better wear, while the KDWs, being a softer compound, offer better traction but less wear.

Black
    2004 GTO A4

I had the KDWs on my 04 GTO and could melt the tread off them anytime I hit the gas. I changed to the Kuhmo ESCTSA's and love them! After 50+ HP worth of mods, I can't even make them smoke (just a quick squak off the line). Great tire for $130! My 00 SS had the same tires with the same results. She would smoke the hell out of the Goodyear Eagle F1's, but almost nothing with the Kuhmos. I had 400+ HP in my SS and an M6 and those damn tires HOOKED-UP!

Thread Information