Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    2004 GTO

Lightbulb Best headers + exhaust combo?

I'm just looking to see if anyone has any preferences or recommendations on a headers and cat back combination. I'm swaying towards the loudmouth but I'm not sure about the headers.

BLACK
    2000 TRANS AM WS6

if its an 04",get the speedbilt banshee exhaust,its a dual system,plus its on sale for 699 plus the banshee inserts.you cant go wrong,its all borla!headers,steelworks,definitely steelworks,cheaper,and really good power from what ive seen.i was thinking of all this myself,but i cant rub together 2 pennies right now!

M3 SMG 350HP

I have seen many positive results on the JBA Headers. They are the only Smog legal header on the market and makes great power.

http://ls1gto.com/forums/showthread....ht=jba+headers

http://www.gravanatuning.com/applica...0_State_Legal_

Just my o2

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Stay with long tubes....I have SW LT Headers and Borla catback...gutted cats....
    This is my signature. It is mine. Nobody else has one like it.

Phantom Black
    2004 GTO

I also have Stainless Works long tubes, with Random Tech. high flow cats and a 3" Stainless Works catback.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I just swapped the Borla's for DynaMax 3" bullett mufflers....holy cow! I love em man on my 04 Goat.....

txcosmos
    I hate to say it (Ihave SW), but the Kooks are the best LT's for the '04. They consistently pull better numbers, flow better, have better cats, and have way better fitment.

As for exhaust, get ready to take an ass rape. Pretty much all are super expensive. The SW seems to flow pretty good, but two 3" pipes are gonna lose some backpressure (my opinion).

The Borla and the Magnaflow sound good.

Impulse Blue
    2004 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by TexAgDevildog
    I'm just looking to see if anyone has any preferences or recommendations on a headers and cat back combination. I'm swaying towards the loudmouth but I'm not sure about the headers.
    IF it is all about power and you don't care how loud it is, you will not get more power that you will with Kooks longs tubes with hi flow cats & the corsa sport cat-back. Trust me, I had that setup and decided to quiet it down with the magnaflow and I lost 10rwhp & 10rwtq, and that was even retuned! Don't be fooled by the corsa being a y-pipe setup and basically being a single back. The straight through design of the system (with one pipe it make very few bends) and the muffler allows exhaust to move VERY quickly. I can go into more detail about my dyno numbers and track times based on mods and etc if you like, just let me know. But with some people, trying to convince them that the corsa is the way to go is like talking to a wall, cause people are so afraid of not having 2 pipes.

Impulse Blue
    2004 GTO

I have the Dynatech headers with cats. Makes just as much as the SW's and Kooks. The Corsa is a great flowing cat back but it gets incredibly loud with headers, too loud for my tastes.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Yeah my next set will be Kooks...when I got headers SW was about the only LT's in town.....

Red / White
    05 C6 & 98 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSuperGoat
    Don't be fooled by the corsa being a y-pipe setup and basically being a single back. The straight through design of the system (with one pipe it make very few bends) and the muffler allows exhaust to move VERY quickly..... But with some people, trying to convince them that the corsa is the way to go is like talking to a wall, cause people are so afraid of not having 2 pipes.
    Something to do with laminar flow and 1-4" pipe outflowing 2-2.5" pipes. Some engineer somewhere understands it. After having the Firehawk with the y-pipe and getting it into my head that this was a good thing, I wasn't so bent on a true dual exhaust. I wouldn't be afraid of that setup at all. I know it sounded good on BlueSuperGoat's GTO.

StainlessScott

"Stainless Works" long tube headers & exhaust for the 04 GTO

"Stainless Works" offers quite a few different exhaust kits for the 2004 GTO. All of the systems are 3.000" 304-stainless steel and include an X-pipe and polished tips along with all the necessary clamps & hangers to complete the installation. The systems bolt up to the factory flanges for ease of installation. Retail pricing for the “cat-back” exhaust systems range from $733.95 to $838.95. The "Stainless Works" 1.750” headers are available with either off-road lead pipes (no cats) or with high-flow "Random Tech" cats. Retail cost for the headers is $943.95 & $1363.95 respectively.

Thanks,
    Scott
    Stainless Works
    Last edited by mrr23; 10-10-2006 at 07:15 PM. Reason: removed non-sponsor info

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Hey Scott...yeah but them RT Cats don't last a year....headers are great....RT CATs suck donkey balls....you guys sponsoring here now? Cool....SW is a stand up outfit....

StainlessScott

"Stainless Works" long tube headers & exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge
    Hey Scott...yeah but them RT Cats don't last a year....headers are great....RT CATs suck donkey balls....you guys sponsoring here now? Cool....SW is a stand up outfit....
    Sarge,
    Thanks for the kind words about our headers and company! As for the "Random Tech" cats; we have been using their cats for quite a few years now and have had very few problems with them. "Random Tech" uses some of the same materials that the OEM's use. Of the problems we have seen, most are related to a fuel management/engine tuning scenario where the brick of the converter has been "melted". Just wanted to "touch base" on this topic so as not to tarnish the "Stainless Works" or "Random Tech" names.

Thanks,
    Scott
    Stainless Works
    Last edited by mrr23; 10-10-2006 at 07:15 PM. Reason: removed non-sponsor info

Blue01C5
    Sarge- I can almost guarantee you there are tuning issues with your car. Scott's right on the money--
    " Of the problems we have seen, most are related to a fuel management/engine tuning scenario"

I've had Random Tech cats on my C5 for four years and have had absolutely NO problems. Several of my friends (including one who has a Magnacharger on his engine) have had the same experience. We have several cars in the local Corvette club that make over 400 at the wheels with RT cats and none have any problems.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I agree tuning will have an issue on the internals....my issue was the weld busting loose and coming apart...then RT wouldnt do shit for replacents....that sorta set me off....I ran 11.8-low 12's A/F all the time....it was my position with another vendor that I bought the SW and RT's from that it was a defect in workmanship...he countered I was putting down "too much" RWHP..WTF does that have to do with anything....so I moved on ...no big deal...then as the GTO's started selling and folks started modding....voila...I wasnt the only one....many just gutted the RT's and re-welded them....so I will always support SW....but RT...nope...they didnt and dont stand behind their product......and no it's not a tuning issue.....I'll be happy to PM you and give you the details....but like I said...I'm not alone in the GTO community and the RT Cats issue....

I have the Corsa catback, still have the stock Y and Header.
    I am planning to drop the car 1.25 inches with the Eibach Pro Kit, so the mechanic tells me I can't do the LT Hooker and Y pipe after because I will loose and additional 1.5inches on top of the 1.25 already done with the springs so it would bottom out. question: is there any good LT or ST headers with Y pipe out there that won't eat in the clearance space? I'd like to lower the car 1.25 and get header and Y done as well but without losing any more clearance. I have a 1999 A4 TA.
    Thanks!

txcosmos
    Quote Originally Posted by djvaly View Post
    I have a 1999 A4 TA.
    Thanks!
    probably good to post in the GTO section then, huh...

ls2 goat
    Check out the LG long tubes...Ive been in contact with them and they will be coming out around December...I know they make a great product for the Vettes

thanks for the great info ls2_goat

Thread Information