Page 1 of 58 1234521314151 ... LastLast
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Been testing Oil

you guys know I test constantly and oil/tribology is my thing so here goes. I know the gasoline today is shit. Very dry and poor quality. Throw in ethanol and you got crap/corrosive gasoline. I use Fuel Power/Lucas UCL with great success in my cars and other peoples cars. At the first of the year some of us "lubrication physcho's" (mainly from the aircraft industry) discussed the shit quality of gasoline and the absolute advantages of running a fuel additive with lubrication capabilities and I think the testing is now complete and the results are very good. Biggest problem we had was the proper amount but we are now satisfied this works very well and you will have a smoother running engine/more power/better MPG....so here it is.....
    What we are trying to accomplish ( The deliverables)
    We need to lubricate the fuel pump/seals/injectors.
    We need to clean the fuel system and scavenge water that ethanol attracts.
    We need a film of protection in our fuel system to stop corrosion.
    We need a cleaner for our spark plugs/valves/combustion chambers.
    We need to clean the ring packs
    We need to leave a film on the cylinder walls to eliminate cold start metal wear.
    This was my groups short list of deliverables. Of course we knew if we accomplished this list the car should A) Run Smoother B) Run more efficiently C) Parts will last longer i.e. fuel pumps/injectors etc. D) We should see more RWHP and MPG
    We did it. For pennies.
    2 Stroke oil. Not just any two stroke oil But we needed the detergents etc. and found the perfect oil/add packs/viscosity in a marine 2 stroke oil you can get for under $10 bucks a gallon anywhere. We used Pennzoil Marine 2 stroke for our testing. Here is the "blurb" from Pennzoil.....
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Pennzoil Marine® Full Synthetic
    Ultimate Protection

Pennzoil Marine® Full Synthetic 2-Cycle Oil is designed for your hard-working, large displacement, high-horsepower 2-cycle engine. High temperature protection is necessary for higher horsepower engines. High temperatures in an engine can cause loss of lubrication, carbon deposits, piston-scuffing, and pre-ignition. The combination of synthetic ester base oils and a premium, ashless performance package in Pennzoil Marine® Full Synthetic 2-Cycle Oil provides protection for high horsepower applications that require approved NMMA TC-W3® oil.
    Benefits:
    Pennzoil Marine® Full Synthetic 2-Cycle Oil is recommended for use in those makes and models of water-cooled, 2-cycle engines with direct injection systems, oil injection systems or those requiring use of a pre-mix. It is recommended for and meets the warranty requirements of Johnson/Evinrude, Mercury Marine, Yamaha, Suzuki, Force/US Marine, Mariner and others requiring NMMA TC-W3® oils.

Pennzoil Marine® Full Synthetic 2-Cycle Oil:

• Performs in extreme conditions.
    • Provides excellent lubricity to protect against piston- and cylinder-scuffing.
    • Helps protect against ring sticking, exhaust port deposits, and spark plug fouling.
    • Biodegradable and low aquatic toxicity.
    • Recommended for direct injection engines.

Whether running full throttle to open water for that fishing tournament, cruising your favorite waterway, pulling a skier or racing you need an oil to protect your high-horsepower engine. Pennzoil Marine® Full Synthetic 2-Cycle Oil is that oil.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use 1oz of the two stroke oil per 5 gallons of gas ( 1oz-5gallons/ 2ozs - 10 gallons etc. and that is the perfect ratio. Too much and it will make your engine run worse....too little and it wont do anything.....use the proper amount.....get a little bottle and keep it in your car.....We have seen a maximum of 5% better MPG down to a minimum of 2% better MPG. All of our test mules reported much smoother idles and cruising. No smoking or ill effects. No residue on plugs our pistons....actually the opposite....we saw "cleaning".....I am now comfortable recommending this for all. I also now run this mixture in my GTO/Mercedes/Silverado and G6 with all having smoother running motors and all gaining MPG. Give it a try and let me know your experience. Follow the mixture ratio to the letter. 1 oz per 5 gallons of gas.
    Last edited by Sarge; 07-08-2008 at 09:48 AM.

green
    98 formula

I used to use 2 stroke oil in stored (older) cars. Is the oil not gonna plug the cats?

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

What is the old wise tale of 1 gallon of diesel to 10 gallons of gas? Never had the guts to try it but I know many who swear by it. A friend of mine who is heavy in the racing scene says he does it once a month on his DD's to clean it. He poped a valve cover off to show me it looked like it had less than 10K and the odometer showed 175 and I know it's the original engine. What say you ol' guru of all things oily? Ever tested that? I know diesel contains more oils than gasoline.

rednari
    Interesting. I also use Lucas fuel treatment in all my vehicles with good results. I will try your suggestion, since it appears to be more economical. Lucas fuel treatment is added at the rate of 3ozs per 10 gallons and costs about $8 per quart, so that would be a savings if it provides the same results.

But I have two issues: first, it must produce the same or better results; and two, an over treatment with Lucas does not make the motor run worse or foul the motor. Also, getting the exact amount seems difficult and requires guess work, such as how much gas will the car hold, and do I have a graduated cylinder handy to measure in the correct amount.

In any event, I will try it.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Wow. Thats reminds me that my jeep requires lead substitute(thick oil looking crap.. not lead based..) anyway I didnt have any unmixed gas for the mower one day and said screw it and that gas lasted all day. So I tried the substitute in my truck and it helped as well. Make sense to you sarge??

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by joejenkinsglass View Post
    I used to use 2 stroke oil in stored (older) cars. Is the oil not gonna plug the cats?
    No. Nor O2 sensors. It is very safe.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by slims00ls1z28 View Post
    What is the old wise tale of 1 gallon of diesel to 10 gallons of gas? Never had the guts to try it but I know many who swear by it. A friend of mine who is heavy in the racing scene says he does it once a month on his DD's to clean it. He poped a valve cover off to show me it looked like it had less than 10K and the odometer showed 175 and I know it's the original engine. What say you ol' guru of all things oily? Ever tested that? I know diesel contains more oils than gasoline.
    Yeah we talked about diesel....but why go through all that trouble with the low sulfur stuff now days? This is easy to do and much more effective from a add pack for our gasoline engines perspective.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by rednari View Post
    Interesting. I also use Lucas fuel treatment in all my vehicles with good results. I will try your suggestion, since it appears to be more economical. Lucas fuel treatment is added at the rate of 3ozs per 10 gallons and costs about $8 per quart, so that would be a savings if it provides the same results.

But I have two issues: first, it must produce the same or better results; and two, an over treatment with Lucas does not make the motor run worse or foul the motor. Also, getting the exact amount seems difficult and requires guess work, such as how much gas will the car hold, and do I have a graduated cylinder handy to measure in the correct amount.

In any event, I will try it.
    Yup....I used Lucas UCL myself and this is better both from a performance/MPG perspective for pennies I got better results over 5000+ miles in my Silverado 5.3..... It is just as easy to follow as any other gas additive regiment. Just go and get yourself a measuring bottle and everytime you fill up or top off....round the total gallons up and when you get home put that amount of 2cycle oil in. Example....you put in 8 gallons....when you get home put in 2oz's....if you put in 6 gallons round down to 5 and when you get home put in 1oz. What we found is this.....the first few tankfuls coat/lubricate and clean......you really will not see/feel anything the first couple of tanks until the cleaning/lubrication has had a chance to do its thing....from there on out you are just maintaining the protection/solution. Very simple. You don't have to carry it around with you unless your on a long trip then just take a 12oz bottle or so with you.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Wow. Thats reminds me that my jeep requires lead substitute(thick oil looking crap.. not lead based..) anyway I didnt have any unmixed gas for the mower one day and said screw it and that gas lasted all day. So I tried the substitute in my truck and it helped as well. Make sense to you sarge??
    I guess....

Nero
    2006 gto

Alright I want to make sure Im reading this right... and I bet im not the only one wondering here. So I get the Pennzoil 2 cycle oil thats pictured in the starting post, and add 1oz for every 5 gallons of gas in the tank? (If im half-full and only add it to what I pump in, it'll be diluted, I assume) So in my GTO, I would add just under 4oz for a full tank.

This will "clean" and increase efficiency in the engine/fuel delivery system? Thats awesome; I'll start doing this to every vehicle I own.

rapter34
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrizioD View Post
    Alright I want to make sure Im reading this right... and I bet im not the only one wondering here. So I get the Pennzoil 2 cycle oil thats pictured in the starting post, and add 1oz for every 5 gallons of gas in the tank? (If im half-full and only add it to what I pump in, it'll be diluted, I assume) So in my GTO, I would add just under 4oz for a full tank.

This will "clean" and increase efficiency in the engine/fuel delivery system? Thats awesome; I'll start doing this to every vehicle I own.
    +1 just want to make sure before i do something bold like put anything in my tank.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by PatrizioD View Post

1oz to 5 gallons of gas. So if you fill up and have never added it before....you would put in 4oz's. From there you would maintain a 1oz to 5 gallons added. You'll go through like 2 full tanks before you will start noticing a difference....yes it cleans the shit out of the fuel system and the combustion chamber. Allows a smoother start up/idle etc......it works.....for pennies....

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by rapter34 View Post
    +1 just want to make sure before i do something bold like put anything in my tank.
    I've been doing it for over 7 months now in all my vehicles.....

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

Great info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks

Red
    04 GTO

Okay so every 5 gallons u put 1 oz into were? In the oil fill hole or the gas tank might be dumb but i want to make sure before i do anything thanks.
    Last edited by ledesma54; 07-08-2008 at 03:26 PM.

Silver
    2005 Ram Daytona

Is there a better way of adding it into your tank?... Like should you pour the oil into the tank first, then fill the gas, or should you fill the gas and then put in the oil?

3-Time F-Body Offender doozjamann's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

Good info Sarge.

Has anyone other than me heard of putting tranny fluid in the tank to clean fuel system. It works not sure what the long term effects are, and never tried it in a car with cat's. Car will smoke like a diesel on a cold morning, but it cleans everything.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by ledesma54 View Post
    Okay so every 5 gallons u put 1 oz into were? In the oil fill hole or the gas tank might be dumb but i want to make sure before i do anything thanks.
    In the gas tank.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by cant.b.caught.z28 View Post
    Is there a better way of adding it into your tank?... Like should you pour the oil into the tank first, then fill the gas, or should you fill the gas and then put in the oil?
    Doesn't matter....going to get all sloshed around anyway

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by doozjamann View Post
    Good info Sarge.

Has anyone other than me heard of putting tranny fluid in the tank to clean fuel system. It works not sure what the long term effects are, and never tried it in a car with cat's. Car will smoke like a diesel on a cold morning, but it cleans everything.
    Yeah but ATF has phosphorus and that kills catalytic converters and is a short term cleaning solution. ATF has no lubricating properties either. This is a long term full spectrum cleaning/lubricating solution.

Page 1 of 58 1234521314151 ... LastLast

Thread Information